Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Don't post pictures of winning numbers!

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 9 months ago by Luminus.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

What prize amount will you not post on LP?

$10k [ 8 ]  [38.10%]
$50k [ 1 ]  [4.76%]
$100k [ 1 ]  [4.76%]
$250k [ 1 ]  [4.76%]
$1M-$2M [ 3 ]  [14.29%]
$2M+ [ 2 ]  [9.52%]
PB/MM Jackspot [ 5 ]  [23.81%]
Total Valid Votes [ 21 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 8 ]  
MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
Member #9517
December 10, 2004
1272 Posts
Posted: March 9, 2016, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

They can post the receipt for payout of prize instead. Perhaps not always smart to post the numbers if they are part of a system or something.

looking4$'s avatar - Lottery-054.jpg
    Dana Point, CA
    United States
    Member #138475
    January 28, 2013
    26 Posts
    Posted: March 15, 2016, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

There is a reason why here in Indiana you can not cash in winnings over $599 at retailers..you have to cash it in at a regional lottery office or Headquarters. It's so they can document and report your winnings and automatically take out "a portion" of taxes you owe. You may still owe at tax return time and the fed and state will already know about your winnings due to the lottery office reporting your winnings.

From my understanding..your only taxed per winning not total wins for the year of "small wins combined" that were not taxable winning amounts at the time of winning. I could be wrong on that though.

In California it's the same way, you have to pay taxes on ANY wager $600 or above for a one dollar bet. So, Super Lotto you pay taxes $600+ ($1) and PowerBall $1200+($2).

Luminus's avatar - ouskuu

United States
      Member #51269
      April 3, 2007
      529 Posts
      Posted: March 19, 2016, 8:32 am - IP Logged

A picture is no longer worth a thousand words. Only one word comes to mind- "Winner!".

I am a rational realist. Most winning  tickets posted can be from someone other then the person who posted it. I can go to my local pop shop , snap a pic from the winners board, and Post it here, proclaiming that I won it. Luckily our state has the regulations to list winners (first or last name only) of claims that produce taxable filing. I personally could care little about the picture, its the legitimacy of the claim that is noteworthy.

Who in the world would do something like that?  It's not like you win a prize here for posting winning tickets.  All anyone does is congratulate you and move on.  That's hardly worth the effort.