Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:50 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Giving a tip

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 9 months ago by TinkerMazell.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Greenback's avatar - army
Toledo, Ohio
United States
Member #149602
December 4, 2013
4972 Posts
Posted: February 23, 2016, 12:53 pm - IP Logged

I'm curious, but does anyone give tips when they win? Do you give a tip to the person that generated the ticket, or the person that cashed your ticket? If so, how much do you tip?

Again, I was just curious. Good luck to all!

Trying to get rich three digits at a time.

sully16's avatar - sharan
    Ringleader
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #81740
    October 28, 2009
    40299 Posts
    Posted: February 23, 2016, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

Depends on how much I win, and who the clerk is.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

United States
      Member #145267
      August 1, 2013
      1492 Posts
      Posted: February 23, 2016, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

No, I have not made enough money over the pass 16 years to be giving anybody a tip.

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        49642 Posts
        Posted: February 23, 2016, 1:09 pm - IP Logged

Read, Study, Learn: https://www.lotterypost.com/search/forums?t=all&f=1&q=%27tip+clerk%27

Lottery Post Forums Search is Your Friend!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

United States
          Member #172378
          January 22, 2016
          56 Posts
          Posted: February 23, 2016, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

I would tip the clerk if I was up OVER ALL and that clerk had sold me the winning jackpot ticket.

I think it's rude for a clerk to expect something in return simply for cashing a 'winning' ticket.

When I cash in tickets the clerks always say, oh wow you did good look how much you won! and then I say, yea but look at the dollar amount wagered versus what I got back and then I have to explain to them that over the 12 years i've been playing the lotto i'm down thousands.

So again, it's rude for a clerk to ask for or expect a 'tip'.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #94283
            July 17, 2010
            2284 Posts
            Posted: February 23, 2016, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

I never have because I'm in the hole overall.  I've been playing for 30 years.  It'll take a huge win to get me out of the hole. 

If I won a big amount like 100K or more I'd tip the clerk if it was someone I like and use often.  Maybe a few thousand on that win.  I bought a couple Wild Card quick picks for the last draw before that game ends from a really nice cashier who's been around awhile.  If I should win that $375K tomorrow I'd give her probably $5K.  If I should win it on a ticket I bought from anywhere else, I will not tip at all.  A big jackpot I'd probably give the max tax-free which I believe is $14K.

But even if I was already in the black I wouldn't tip on smaller wins.  Why would I?  The clerk really did nothing except hopefully be friendly to you which is their job even if you're not buying lottery.  So any tips I give would be out of a long-term customer/clerk relationship or friendship, not just because someone thinks I "should."

United States
              Member #172378
              January 22, 2016
              56 Posts
              Posted: February 23, 2016, 1:36 pm - IP Logged

I never have because I'm in the hole overall.  I've been playing for 30 years.  It'll take a huge win to get me out of the hole. 

If I won a big amount like 100K or more I'd tip the clerk if it was someone I like and use often.  Maybe a few thousand on that win.  I bought a couple Wild Card quick picks for the last draw before that game ends from a really nice cashier who's been around awhile.  If I should win that $375K tomorrow I'd give her probably $5K.  If I should win it on a ticket I bought from anywhere else, I will not tip at all.  A big jackpot I'd probably give the max tax-free which I believe is $14K.

But even if I was already in the black I wouldn't tip on smaller wins.  Why would I?  The clerk really did nothing except hopefully be friendly to you which is their job even if you're not buying lottery.  So any tips I give would be out of a long-term customer/clerk relationship or friendship, not just because someone thinks I "should."

This ^

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                Oklahoma
                United States
                Member #82391
                November 12, 2009
                6290 Posts
                Posted: February 23, 2016, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

I would give something to the person that sold me the winning jackpot ticket. Wink

I Love Pink & Green 1908

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
                  Brooklyn, NY
                  United States
                  Member #169723
                  October 29, 2015
                  877 Posts
                  Posted: February 23, 2016, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

I have given tips when I win. Usually $5-$10 on smaller wins, but up to $20 on a $500 win.

It's not required since the person you are tipping has not done anything special....it's just something you do to maybe bring more good luck. Lep

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19817 Posts
                    Posted: February 23, 2016, 3:00 pm - IP Logged

I'm curious, but does anyone give tips when they win? Do you give a tip to the person that generated the ticket, or the person that cashed your ticket? If so, how much do you tip?

Again, I was just curious. Good luck to all!

I've never won more than I spent overall even when I matched 5of6 for $1500 in the local lottery so tipping would just make my overall lost even worst. 

I lose enough to the state, it would be foolish to lose even more by giving part of my winnings to a clerk who is paid to sell lottery tickets.

The only tip I give to anyone is to buy a ticket if they want a chance to win something.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
                      Indiana
                      United States
                      Member #150273
                      December 18, 2013
                      495 Posts
                      Posted: February 23, 2016, 3:21 pm - IP Logged

If i won the jp  I would probably tip them all with one lump sum to be equally split amongst them all. I always buy at the same place once a month and really don't think i would remember which one rung me up honestly.

"Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip, conflict calms down.

Like adding charcoal to embers or wood to fire, quarrelsome people kindle strife."

Proverbs 26: 20-21

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                        Pennsylvania
                        United States
                        Member #74096
                        May 2, 2009
                        22860 Posts
                        Posted: February 23, 2016, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

No. I like to give to someone who does not expect it. Most clerks don't sink to such lows,

expecting money for nothing. But there are some who have learned that key words move

some people to share the wealth. Phrases like: boy are you lucky....I never won that much

in my life...I take tips....I buy tickets and never win.....if you need to unload some of that you

know where to go, are all things I've heard over the years. Rather than develop warm, fuzzy,

giving feelings it irritates me.

Clerks learn lots about customers seeing them everyday...some take things way too far

expecting by tearing off or cashing in a few tickets for you that you're buddy, buddy enough

to share or pay them for what??....doing their job??

I don't resent someone saying congratulations or nothing at all, that's the way it should be.

Do yourself a favor, if you ever tipped, stop. If you're thinking about it, don't. I've heard too 

much talk between clerks about players/winners and what they do with what should be their

business: their  money. Clerks and winnings sometimes do not mix....some feel the vice of

opportunity should supersede the job description. Go where you feel comfortable buying

and winning. Gl

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10345 Posts
                          Posted: February 23, 2016, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, I do it for luck.

One time I played a PB ticket for myself and the same ticket for the cashier in a gas station, we both won $110.

Lep

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7295 Posts
                            Posted: February 23, 2016, 10:54 pm - IP Logged

I've never won more than I spent overall even when I matched 5of6 for $1500 in the local lottery so tipping would just make my overall lost even worst. 

I lose enough to the state, it would be foolish to lose even more by giving part of my winnings to a clerk who is paid to sell lottery tickets.

The only tip I give to anyone is to buy a ticket if they want a chance to win something.

Most people don't win enough where a tip would be appropriate. Looking at the overall chances winnings, it's more likely clerks will sell mostly losing tickets and I doubt many players will tip after getting a handful of losing tickets.

I've had nice hits where clerks were very helpful filling out the paper work and I tipped them, but I never tipped bank tellers for handing me the cash.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19817 Posts
                              Posted: February 24, 2016, 4:29 am - IP Logged

If i won the jp  I would probably tip them all with one lump sum to be equally split amongst them all. I always buy at the same place once a month and really don't think i would remember which one rung me up honestly.

If you won a jackpot the store where you brought your ticket would also get a nice bonus which could be thousands of dollars.  Why would you want to reward them even more?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking