Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Giving a tip

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 9 months ago by TinkerMazell.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
Brooklyn, NY
United States
Member #169723
October 29, 2015
877 Posts
Posted: February 24, 2016, 5:38 am - IP Logged

If you won a jackpot the store where you brought your ticket would also get a nice bonus which could be thousands of dollars.  Why would you want to reward them even more?

You just won $100 mil. The store (owner) gets the bonus, not the employees...most of the time. Sometimes you hear stories where the bonus is split between employees too.

So.....you win this vast amount of cash and you can't give a little something to someone who helped you by pushing the right button at the exact moment that produced the ticket that won?

I just think it would be good karma to give a little something. Troll

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #150273
    December 18, 2013
    495 Posts
    Posted: February 24, 2016, 6:52 am - IP Logged

If you won a jackpot the store where you brought your ticket would also get a nice bonus which could be thousands of dollars.  Why would you want to reward them even more?

I know the lottery would take care of the business..it's the employees who have all waited on me that i want to make sure gets a little something. They are all really nice older clerks and always wish me luck. It's a small operation with about 7 cashiers...i would drop $10,000 to be split amongst all the clerks.

"Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip, conflict calms down.

Like adding charcoal to embers or wood to fire, quarrelsome people kindle strife."

Proverbs 26: 20-21

United States
      Member #124304
      March 11, 2012
      62 Posts
      Posted: February 24, 2016, 9:38 am - IP Logged

I have given a tip in the past to clerks that do not expect it. However, I am appalled at the store owner's that ask or expect a tip. I am constantly asked to buy lunch or dinner for them. When I do not give in to their requests, they will say that someone gave them $50 or $100 the other day so that I will feel guilty. So now my strategy is when I win something more than $100, I go to a big grocery chain and cash the ticket there and tell no one. That way nobody knows my business and I do not have to give a store owner that makes 5 times my salary anything. I am a very generous person, but do not like when someone drops hints or asks for a handout for no reason. Just my two cents.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19817 Posts
        Posted: February 24, 2016, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

You just won $100 mil. The store (owner) gets the bonus, not the employees...most of the time. Sometimes you hear stories where the bonus is split between employees too.

So.....you win this vast amount of cash and you can't give a little something to someone who helped you by pushing the right button at the exact moment that produced the ticket that won?

I just think it would be good karma to give a little something. Troll

"So.....you win this vast amount of cash and you can't give a little something to someone who helped you by pushing the right button at the exact moment that produced the ticket that won?"

If I won a $100M jackpot there is no way I would return to the retailer where I brought my ticket to announce it and start handing out money.  A $100M is all the good karma I would ever need.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

One2win's avatar - Trek Galaxy2.gif
          MyTown
          Bahamas
          Member #167573
          July 20, 2015
          230 Posts
          Posted: February 24, 2016, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

I'm curious, but does anyone give tips when they win? Do you give a tip to the person that generated the ticket, or the person that cashed your ticket? If so, how much do you tip?

Again, I was just curious. Good luck to all!

When I win over $300.00 dollars, yeah, I'd give a tip, and it'd be anwhere from $10, $20 to $30 max - depending on whether the cashier is a nice person (if she's not, she gets nada from me) ..... under that amount, there's  really no point.

BTW, I tip our Security Guards too, but I don't dish out over that $30. max.  If there are two Sir Q's, everybody gets $10.00 each.

Success is liking yourself, what you do and how you do it!

Psalm 122:6

ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
            Member #169277
            October 10, 2015
            630 Posts
            Posted: February 24, 2016, 8:08 pm - IP Logged

I have given a tip in the past to clerks that do not expect it. However, I am appalled at the store owner's that ask or expect a tip. I am constantly asked to buy lunch or dinner for them. When I do not give in to their requests, they will say that someone gave them $50 or $100 the other day so that I will feel guilty. So now my strategy is when I win something more than $100, I go to a big grocery chain and cash the ticket there and tell no one. That way nobody knows my business and I do not have to give a store owner that makes 5 times my salary anything. I am a very generous person, but do not like when someone drops hints or asks for a handout for no reason. Just my two cents.

I wouldn't even continue to buy tickets from a shop that tried that on me. 

I never even thought about tipping a clerk before this thread,  no more than I'd tip a bank teller.  They only run slips with my numbers throguh the machine. Maybe I'll reconsider when I win over 100,000.

WV
              United States
              Member #173332
              February 27, 2016
              1 Posts
              Posted: February 27, 2016, 9:56 am - IP Logged

I work at a lottery place. We have gambling machines and scratch offs. Generally speaking we don't get tipped on scratch offs. Because anything over $600 has to be taken to the lottery office to be cashed.

On the lottery machines though, we cash all those tickets. No one really "expects" to be tipped. Especially on smaller tickets. BUT we also don't make minimum wage. So tips are nice. Some people will tip if they have a big ticket. Some people will tip just because they think it's good karma. Some people will win $12,000. And not tip anything at all.  It's really all up to you. Ive gone 3 weeks straight once and not made anything.

Vergie6's avatar - DSCN5541
                North Carolina
                United States
                Member #59855
                March 29, 2008
                31514 Posts
                Posted: March 10, 2016, 8:48 am - IP Logged

The way I feel about it is why can't the clerk buy their own lottery tickets just like I do?

I don't expect them to give me a tip if they get a win!

Actually I don't even win enough to give them one in the first place but even if I did I still think they should buy their own tickets!

I'd much rather give some to a homeless person or buy him or her a meal with the extra money & I have done that before.

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
                  Indiana
                  United States
                  Member #150273
                  December 18, 2013
                  495 Posts
                  Posted: March 10, 2016, 10:19 am - IP Logged

I just don't see a need to give a tip unless i hit big like JP big. This past month i won $35 and when i turn those tickets in i see no reason to tip. Any time i speak of tipping is if i won the JP

"Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip, conflict calms down.

Like adding charcoal to embers or wood to fire, quarrelsome people kindle strife."

Proverbs 26: 20-21

TinkerMazell's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
                    Augusta, Georgia
                    United States
                    Member #127854
                    May 10, 2012
                    81 Posts
                    Posted: March 10, 2016, 1:44 pm - IP Logged

Yes. The last time I won $3000 via cash 3 I tipped. But I am a regular at that particular store and I like them. They never expect a tip, never make comments, but are very thankful for it.

I am a $20,000 winner from a Georgia Lottery scratch off game called "$3,000,000 Taxes Paid"!

Augusta, Georgia
                      United States
                      Member #127854
                      May 10, 2012
                      81 Posts
                      Posted: March 10, 2016, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

I work at a lottery place. We have gambling machines and scratch offs. Generally speaking we don't get tipped on scratch offs. Because anything over $600 has to be taken to the lottery office to be cashed.

On the lottery machines though, we cash all those tickets. No one really "expects" to be tipped. Especially on smaller tickets. BUT we also don't make minimum wage. So tips are nice. Some people will tip if they have a big ticket. Some people will tip just because they think it's good karma. Some people will win $12,000. And not tip anything at all.  It's really all up to you. Ive gone 3 weeks straight once and not made anything.

Since you're an employee, does that mean you're not allowed to play/win?

I am a $20,000 winner from a Georgia Lottery scratch off game called "$3,000,000 Taxes Paid"!

South Carolina
                        United States
                        Member #18322
                        July 9, 2005
                        1704 Posts
                        Posted: March 10, 2016, 2:06 pm - IP Logged

I'm curious, but does anyone give tips when they win? Do you give a tip to the person that generated the ticket, or the person that cashed your ticket? If so, how much do you tip?

Again, I was just curious. Good luck to all!

The store clerk that sold you the ticket is not your waitress, like in a restaurant.  There is no "courtesy" requirement that you tip anyone for a winning lottery ticketMost states give the store that sold the ticket a bonus.  If you feel the need to tip anyone for a winning ticket, it's probably because you just feel good about winning, and you want to share your JOY with someone elseThis is a normal feeling, and BENEVOLENCE in this world is Encouraged !!!  Yes Nod

Also, waitresses work much harder to earn a living at their job than lottery store clerks do.  I ALWAYS TIP the waitress !!!  It disturbs me when people don't tip the waitress, especially when they can afford to do so.  If you just spent $25 for a meal, you can probably still afford to tip at least a couple of dollars $2.00, if not the 15% normal gratuity.  Being too fugal minded blocks the flow of Divine Grace in your life !!!  Blue Angel

Augusta, Georgia
                          United States
                          Member #127854
                          May 10, 2012
                          81 Posts
                          Posted: March 11, 2016, 11:30 am - IP Logged

"So.....you win this vast amount of cash and you can't give a little something to someone who helped you by pushing the right button at the exact moment that produced the ticket that won?"

If I won a $100M jackpot there is no way I would return to the retailer where I brought my ticket to announce it and start handing out money.  A $100M is all the good karma I would ever need.

I totally agree with you on that! Although I have never dealt with any clerk expecting a tip. Maybe some of them were expecting a tip and I didn't notice the signs or hints they were giving out lol.

What I do know is this: Friends, family, co-workers and even acquaintances WILL TOTALLY EXPECT something. I don't know why they feel they have a right to any money you've won, but they do. I don't ever feel like someone that has won something SHOULD give me some of it. One of the main reasons I go across the bridge to South Carolina to play Powerball and Mega Millions is because of the anonymous option I will take if I ever win. Georgia doesn't offer that option.