Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Time for Mega Millions to change

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 9 months ago by TheMeatman2005.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Seattle Wa.
United States
Member #110461
May 4, 2011
10 Posts
Posted: March 9, 2016, 1:40 pm - IP Logged

I thought Mega Millions would bust through the $200 million jackpot but, it was won AGAIN!

I think what Mega Millions should do is maybe add 10 more Mega balls to the mix so it would be 5/75 - 1/25 and
then maybe the jackpot will start to grow.

The other option might be to make it $2 a game and keep the same matrix or merge with Powerball.

It's time for a change.

Any thoughts?

United States
    Member #145267
    August 1, 2013
    1534 Posts
    Posted: March 9, 2016, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

Is this to get more winners or a higher jackpot?

United States
      Member #171241
      January 4, 2016
      75 Posts
      Posted: March 9, 2016, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

I thought Mega Millions would bust through the $200 million jackpot but, it was won AGAIN!

I think what Mega Millions should do is maybe add 10 more Mega balls to the mix so it would be 5/75 - 1/25 and

The other option might be to make it $2 a game and keep the same matrix or merge with Powerball.

It's time for a change.

Any thoughts?

Since the $648M MM jackpot back in Dec. 2013 it has only crossed the $300M mark twice, both times in 2014. That's why I mentioned in another thread that a billion dollar MM was highly unlikely.

With your proposed changes though, the odds would increase to 431,484,750 along with the $2 bet, MM ever producing a jackpot winner would also be highly unlikely, lol.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
        Member #4877
        May 30, 2004
        5122 Posts
        Posted: March 9, 2016, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

It's time for a change.

Any thoughts?

IO:

"Have You Won YET".........???

Party...Party..???..Party...Party

Raven62's avatar - binary
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          49784 Posts
          Posted: March 9, 2016, 2:50 pm - IP Logged

It's time for a change.

Any thoughts?

How does this make sense?

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

NYC
            United States
            Member #161115
            November 17, 2014
            126 Posts
            Posted: March 9, 2016, 2:54 pm - IP Logged

It's time for a change.

Any thoughts?

This is coming from someone who lives in a state that hardly wins a jackpot. Increasing the odds to make it more difficult..lol

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
              Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23273 Posts
              Posted: March 9, 2016, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

<Moved to Jackpot Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10353 Posts
                Posted: March 9, 2016, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

Since the $648M MM jackpot back in Dec. 2013 it has only crossed the $300M mark twice, both times in 2014. That's why I mentioned in another thread that a billion dollar MM was highly unlikely.

With your proposed changes though, the odds would increase to 431,484,750 along with the $2 bet, MM ever producing a jackpot winner would also be highly unlikely, lol.

April 18, 2012, RED BUD, IL—The Illinois Lottery today presented a ceremonial oversized check to the third and final winners of last month’s record Mega Millions prize – Merle and Patricia Butler of Red Bud. The couple, who were able to keep their win a secret for nearly three weeks, came forward at a press conference held in the Red Bud Village Hall to claim their share of the $656 million Mega Millions grand prize. Their $218,666,667 share is the largest prize in Illinois Lottery history.

http://www.megamillions.com/winners-gallery/illinois-couple-claims-218-6-million-lottery-mega-millions-prize

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Albeone,

I think that was the record for mm and it was split 3 ways.

What you say about Itsonly$'s proposed changes is true but if a poll was done here on LP about it some people would say they still would play such a game.

Bang Head

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Kentucky
                  United States
                  Member #32652
                  February 14, 2006
                  7314 Posts
                  Posted: March 9, 2016, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

It's time for a change.

Any thoughts?

"The other option might be to make it $2 a game and keep the same matrix or merge with Powerball. "

Your suggestions were more valid when PB and MM were not played in the same states. Now it's just player game preference where players can choose to play either game, both, neither, or play the game with the highest jackpot.

PB jackpots grow because 94% of the ticket win nothing and players must beat odds up to 36,525 to 1 just to win $100.  Along with PB and MM, some state lotteries offer multi-million 6 number lotto games, 5 number lotto type games, pick-5, pick-4, pick-3, pick-10 Keno type games, 4 minute Keno, etc. With all these playing options and knowing how highly unlikely it is to win an out right $billion jackpot (3 winning tickets on the record jackpot), winning a $300 million jackpot is almost the same.

The $1.58 billion jackpot was created when almost $2.5 billion was wagered in three drawings. Of the $2.5 billion in wagers, 1.175 billion tickets won nothing; why do you still believe an even harder to win jackpot game should be created?

Chicago
                    United States
                    Member #171107
                    December 31, 2015
                    78 Posts
                    Posted: March 9, 2016, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

MM is fine the way it is

If it goes to $2 or makes it even more difficult to win (Already abysmal odds that are only better then PB) then I dont see myself playing it anymore

PB at $2 and absurd odds is already a joke that is only worth playing when pot gets big. If MM follows in its footsteps then like PB it would be a game I rarely play

Lotto's should not be looking to price out buyers and make jackpots almost impossible to win

Tulsa
                      United States
                      Member #172877
                      February 7, 2016
                      131 Posts
                      Posted: March 9, 2016, 11:09 pm - IP Logged

I actually think lottery tickets should be .50 cents apiece to get more people to play.  Also, lower the matrix to win.  So what if there are not hundreds of millions of dollars in the pot!

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                        Texas
                        United States
                        Member #55889
                        October 23, 2007
                        5611 Posts
                        Posted: March 9, 2016, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

I actually think lottery tickets should be .50 cents apiece to get more people to play.  Also, lower the matrix to win.  So what if there are not hundreds of millions of dollars in the pot!

They tried introducing a game in which there would be more million dollar winners. It flopped spectacularly.

Fact is, despite people "saying" they want a game that produces more winners with smaller prizes, ie; "who needs a billion dollars" people really want big jackpots. Heck, look at all the folks on LP that say they don't play MM or PB until the jackpot gets to a certain amount.

I believe that if we see any changes in the next few years, it will be MM and PB merging into one game. We'll see.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

R151413's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
                          Fort Smith AR
                          United States
                          Member #169664
                          October 27, 2015
                          58 Posts
                          Posted: March 10, 2016, 3:25 am - IP Logged

Hard enough to win now.  Why make it more difficult?

®

Groppo's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                            Member #162631
                            January 7, 2015
                            506 Posts
                            Posted: March 10, 2016, 9:25 am - IP Logged

It's time for a change.

Any thoughts?

I agree it's time for a change.
                            Not like the "change" that O'bama promised us early in his Prisidency.

Merging the game with another? Then, what would we do on Tue. and Fri. nights?

I want to win me some serious loot too, but I'd never suggest making the game harder.
                            I just want to win me a modest home and a new RAM truck, or a Jeep (preferably the RAM).

• Don't chase the numbers you play.
                            • Play only numbers you've already played, plus however many random picks.
                            • But, ALWAYS the regular numbers you play.  This will make you a winner, not a chaser.
                                      (so far, though, I've yet to win any significant lotto prize)
                              HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                              Idaho
                              United States
                              Member #94283
                              July 17, 2010
                              2284 Posts
                              Posted: March 10, 2016, 9:36 am - IP Logged

They tried introducing a game in which there would be more million dollar winners. It flopped spectacularly.

Fact is, despite people "saying" they want a game that produces more winners with smaller prizes, ie; "who needs a billion dollars" people really want big jackpots. Heck, look at all the folks on LP that say they don't play MM or PB until the jackpot gets to a certain amount.

I believe that if we see any changes in the next few years, it will be MM and PB merging into one game. We'll see.

But did that game also have a humongous jackpot prize?  I can't think which game you're talking of.

That's the direction I think MM should go.  Increase the number of megaballs to make it harder to win the jackpot and allow it to get huge.  Decrease the number of white balls to make it easier to win a million.

It seems like the money the states make when the JP is over half a billion would be enough extra to fund the extra million dollar prizes.  If not, then I wouldn't even mind if they decreased the lower prizes.  If they wanted to lower the prize for 2 + 1 and 3 + 0 to two or three bucks in order to finance the extra larger prizes, I'd be fine with that and 3 + 1 could go as low as $25.   The higher prizes probably need to stay where they're at.