Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 1:41 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Time for Mega Millions to change

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 9 months ago by TheMeatman2005.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
wander73's avatar - Lottery-038.jpg
Philadelphia, PA
United States
Member #153774
March 24, 2014
849 Posts
Posted: March 10, 2016, 10:15 am - IP Logged

I thought Mega Millions would bust through the $200 million jackpot but, it was won AGAIN!

I think what Mega Millions should do is maybe add 10 more Mega balls to the mix so it would be 5/75 - 1/25 and
then maybe the jackpot will start to grow.

The other option might be to make it $2 a game and keep the same matrix or merge with Powerball.

It's time for a change.

Any thoughts?

I beg to differ.  Leave the mm alone.  Look at the odds.  I live in Philadelphia and when PB was at that record people were fighting.  Fighting over a machine.  Seriously. 

The people that run powerball should take it back to where it used to be and go from there.  Perhaps ask some of the other members what they think.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
    Texas
    United States
    Member #55889
    October 23, 2007
    5588 Posts
    Posted: March 10, 2016, 10:26 am - IP Logged

They tried introducing a game in which there would be more million dollar winners. It flopped spectacularly.

But did that game also have a humongous jackpot prize?  I can't think which game you're talking of.

That's the direction I think MM should go.  Increase the number of megaballs to make it harder to win the jackpot and allow it to get huge.  Decrease the number of white balls to make it easier to win a million.

It seems like the money the states make when the JP is over half a billion would be enough extra to fund the extra million dollar prizes.  If not, then I wouldn't even mind if they decreased the lower prizes.  If they wanted to lower the prize for 2 + 1 and 3 + 0 to two or three bucks in order to finance the extra larger prizes, I'd be fine with that and 3 + 1 could go as low as $25.   The higher prizes probably need to stay where they're at.

Monopoly Millionaire.

For all those crying in the wilderness, "give us a game that allows lots of million dollar prizes". It did not have a big jackpot. It wasn't designed to.

The way I look at it is this. ALL lottery games are hard. Heck, I spent a fair amount of money trying to hit a Pick 4 straight, and that's only 1 in 10000. By fair amount, I'm talking $5 on one number for $25000. But, I finally realized $25000 is a nice score, but in the big picture of things, not really what I'm wanting. So I ignore the big odds and play the jackpot games. If MM and PB are too hard, just about every state has a lotto type game with better odds but still multi-million dollar jackpots.

I still think they eventually should and maybe will merge MM and PB. We shall see.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19816 Posts
      Posted: March 10, 2016, 2:06 pm - IP Logged

Monopoly Millionaire.

For all those crying in the wilderness, "give us a game that allows lots of million dollar prizes". It did not have a big jackpot. It wasn't designed to.

The way I look at it is this. ALL lottery games are hard. Heck, I spent a fair amount of money trying to hit a Pick 4 straight, and that's only 1 in 10000. By fair amount, I'm talking $5 on one number for $25000. But, I finally realized $25000 is a nice score, but in the big picture of things, not really what I'm wanting. So I ignore the big odds and play the jackpot games. If MM and PB are too hard, just about every state has a lotto type game with better odds but still multi-million dollar jackpots.

I still think they eventually should and maybe will merge MM and PB. We shall see.

Now that Ohio's Classic Lotto jackpot is $4M, it has the best odds of winning a couple of million dollars in the state.

Classic Lotto = 1:13,983,816 @ $1 per ticket
      MegaMillions = 1:18,492,204 @ $2 per ticket
      PowerBall = 1:11,688,054 @ $3 per ticket

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Seattle Wa.
        United States
        Member #110461
        May 4, 2011
        10 Posts
        Posted: March 10, 2016, 4:28 pm - IP Logged

Sounds like a merger with PB would be best but, I don't think it will happen anytime soon.

Marco Rubio says he's going to win Florida so you never know what will happen.

Groppo's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
          Member #162631
          January 7, 2015
          502 Posts
          Posted: March 11, 2016, 11:23 am - IP Logged

They tried introducing a game in which there would be more million dollar winners. It flopped spectacularly.

But did that game also have a humongous jackpot prize?  I can't think which game you're talking of.

That's the direction I think MM should go.  Increase the number of megaballs to make it harder to win the jackpot and allow it to get huge.  Decrease the number of white balls to make it easier to win a million.

It seems like the money the states make when the JP is over half a billion would be enough extra to fund the extra million dollar prizes.  If not, then I wouldn't even mind if they decreased the lower prizes.  If they wanted to lower the prize for 2 + 1 and 3 + 0 to two or three bucks in order to finance the extra larger prizes, I'd be fine with that and 3 + 1 could go as low as $25.   The higher prizes probably need to stay where they're at.

I think the smallest prize in MM and PB
          needs to be a minimum of $10 (ten dollars).

Why?  Because I (along with millions of others) have been a loyal
          lotto customers, and have spent a considerable amounts, over the years.

And also because every week when I go in to get the next week's tickets,
          I only cash in at the MOST, a couple of dollars.  And that's per week,
          but that's not every week.

• Don't chase the numbers you play.
          • Play only numbers you've already played, plus however many random picks.
          • But, ALWAYS the regular numbers you play.  This will make you a winner, not a chaser.
                    (so far, though, I've yet to win any significant lotto prize)
            Groppo's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
            Member #162631
            January 7, 2015
            502 Posts
            Posted: March 11, 2016, 11:31 am - IP Logged

IO:

"Have You Won YET".........???

Party...Party..???..Party...Party

No Sir, I have not won.

I suspect you have, though.

• Don't chase the numbers you play.
            • Play only numbers you've already played, plus however many random picks.
            • But, ALWAYS the regular numbers you play.  This will make you a winner, not a chaser.
                      (so far, though, I've yet to win any significant lotto prize)
              RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19816 Posts
              Posted: March 11, 2016, 7:06 pm - IP Logged

"I think the smallest prize in MM and PB
              needs to be a minimum of $10 (ten dollars)."

With MM having overall odds of winning a prize of 1:14.7 on a $1 ticket you sound like you want to be paid to play.

Dream on. Wink

Evil Looking       

ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
                Member #169277
                October 10, 2015
                630 Posts
                Posted: March 11, 2016, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

Monopoly Millionaire.

I don't think my state ever had the Monopoly game.  I read that it was a $5 ticket. That would doom it right from the beginning. 

I'm for leaving MM the way it is. Not that I think any lottery commision is going to listen to what we say.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                  Texas
                  United States
                  Member #55889
                  October 23, 2007
                  5588 Posts
                  Posted: March 11, 2016, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

If the minimum prize were $10, there would never be big jackpots. And it's been proven that big jackpots are what drive sales.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
                    Brooklyn, NY
                    United States
                    Member #169723
                    October 29, 2015
                    877 Posts
                    Posted: March 12, 2016, 11:17 am - IP Logged

Now that Ohio's Classic Lotto jackpot is $4M, it has the best odds of winning a couple of million dollars in the state.

Classic Lotto = 1:13,983,816 @ $1 per ticket
                    MegaMillions = 1:18,492,204 @ $2 per ticket
                    PowerBall = 1:11,688,054 @ $3 per ticket

I think they should make the PB & MM easier to win smaller jackpots, not like they just changed to make the games harder to win to make humongous jackpots.

Players want to win, even if it's a smaller amount....we still can say we won something!

In NY State, we have NY Lotto where the odds of getting 6 of 6 is 1: 45,057,474. but we get 2 games for $1 which makes the odds 1: 22,528,737. Tonight's jackpot is $15.7 mil. Not too shabby!

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

Seattle Wa.
                      United States
                      Member #110461
                      May 4, 2011
                      10 Posts
                      Posted: March 12, 2016, 4:05 pm - IP Logged

I see one ticket matched 5 numbers in Mega Millions from California and they won...................$94,702 before 25% Federal withholding.

I know all of us would take that prize but, it's really not that much............I bet that person is:%&*(

It's time for Mega Millions to merge with Powerball.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                        Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #94283
                        July 17, 2010
                        2284 Posts
                        Posted: March 12, 2016, 4:30 pm - IP Logged

Monopoly Millionaire.

It did not have a big jackpot. It wasn't designed to.

My point exactly.  They should have designed a game to make a big jackpot that's hard to win, plus a million dollar prize that's a little easier.  MM and PB sometimes go for several draws without one million dollar winner.  If there were several each draw across the country, I'd see that as a more worthwhile game.  Maybe that game would have succeeded.

Plus someone mentioned that was a $5 game.  Really, $5 for one chance at a million when I can buy 5 Megas or 5 Hot Lottos for the same price?  And with MM I'd have 5 chances at an additional huge jackpot?  No way I'd buy that $5 Monopoly game.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19816 Posts
                          Posted: March 12, 2016, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

I see one ticket matched 5 numbers in Mega Millions from California and they won...................$94,702 before 25% Federal withholding.

I know all of us would take that prize but, it's really not that much............I bet that person is:%&*(

It's time for Mega Millions to merge with Powerball.

With California rules the payouts for matching five would still be less than other states most of the times.  Californians who want a guarantee $1,000,000.00 for matching five in MM and PB should buy their tickets in neighboring states.

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19816 Posts
                            Posted: March 12, 2016, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

If the minimum prize were $10, there would never be big jackpots. And it's been proven that big jackpots are what drive sales.

Many players claim they would prefer games with lower jackpots and better odds than MM and PB but avoid playing local games that have both. Yes Nod

Evil Looking       

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                              Idaho
                              United States
                              Member #94283
                              July 17, 2010
                              2284 Posts
                              Posted: March 12, 2016, 6:38 pm - IP Logged

Many players claim they would prefer games with lower jackpots and better odds than MM and PB but avoid playing local games that have both. Yes Nod

Yes Nod