Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 10:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Ever had random stranger chew you out for buying a lotto ticket?

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 10 months ago by Illinoisdreamer.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Chicago
United States
Member #171107
December 31, 2015
83 Posts
Posted: March 11, 2016, 6:43 pm - IP Logged

Today I bought a single scratch off ticket ($300,000,000 cash spectacular that costs $10) and a passing person who I have never seen or met before called me a fool for playing and said people like me are hurting community by supporting lotto

WTF? I assume this is one of those religious people or someone who buys into the "Lotto is tax on poor' nonsense but I didn't ask as I simply said to her "I spend my money from my crappy job how I like" and walked away

I dont know this really bugged me for a little bit today. Who on earth is she to judge me and say something like that to me?

In end I won $25 dollars so a nice +$15 on day for me

Anyone ever have an experience like this?

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23351 Posts
    Posted: March 11, 2016, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

If I ever did have an experience like this I don't remember.  I tend to quickly forget the rantings of idiots and fools like the one you described.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
      Brooklyn, NY
      United States
      Member #169723
      October 29, 2015
      885 Posts
      Posted: March 11, 2016, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

Congrats on the +$15

Don't think I've ever heard of someone doing that before.

It takes all types tho. Just forget about it and go on with life.

SleepSmash

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

grwurston's avatar - 144
        Let's Go Rangers!!!
        bel air maryland
        United States
        Member #90251
        April 24, 2010
        5114 Posts
        Posted: March 11, 2016, 7:45 pm - IP Logged

Today I bought a single scratch off ticket ($300,000,000 cash spectacular that costs $10) and a passing person who I have never seen or met before called me a fool for playing and said people like me are hurting community by supporting lotto

WTF? I assume this is one of those religious people or someone who buys into the "Lotto is tax on poor' nonsense but I didn't ask as I simply said to her "I spend my money from my crappy job how I like" and walked away

I dont know this really bugged me for a little bit today. Who on earth is she to judge me and say something like that to me?

I had someone once tell me I was a fool for playing, and that I was just wasting my money because nobody ever wins. I just smiled and said, "Well, this fool just won $1,200 two days ago. How much did you win?" They just turned and walked away.   See Ya!

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
          Member #52345
          May 21, 2007
          2679 Posts
          Posted: March 11, 2016, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

Skeptical never had that problem b4,

but sounds like one of those busy bodies that rarely if ever practices what they'd be preaching to others

besides you got that lucky and are + $15 

enjoy and don't spend it all in one place

lulu1feather's avatar - 2uehclf
            Oregon
            United States
            Member #168137
            August 17, 2015
            125 Posts
            Posted: March 11, 2016, 8:07 pm - IP Logged

I've heard cashiers in markets say things like "there are better ways to spend money", or just that they see it as a waste, but it hasn't ever been directed towards me. 

For the most part, my "regular" place is full of people that wish one another luck if there is any build up of people around the lotto ticket & scratch-it vending machine. 

I don't think I would appreciate some stranger strolling by spewing judgement. That's really lame.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
              Member #142499
              May 13, 2013
              1203 Posts
              Posted: March 11, 2016, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

Don't take this the wrong way but I think you're looking at this situation in completely the wrong way.

You know those ugly, scary looking dolls people keep around the house that ward off all the evil spirits and bad energy so joy, luck and good energy can flow in? SHE was your ugly voodoo doll. She scared away all the spirits worse than her and you WON $25. 

Next time, try to rub her belly!  Hippy

Okay, on second thought, don't rub her belly. But try to get her to yell at you again and tell us how much you win Banana

Here's to hoping some unhinged, lottery-hating woman chews me out the next time I buy a ticket. All I get are nice, polite people wishing me luck and those people, it turns out, are useless.

Maine
                United States
                Member #99
                January 27, 2002
                1016 Posts
                Posted: March 11, 2016, 8:52 pm - IP Logged

Don't think twice! There are a lot of jerks out there just trying to shed their unhappiness on us. Today a guy pulled out in front of me very slowly without even stopping and I had to pass him. He gave ME the finger! Why? I have no idea. Compensating for his screw up? Ironic because I was in no hurry and happy to be on my way to cashing a $290.00 lottery ticket, The person who talked at you probably lost $ once and now thinks the lottery is evil. Nobody knows. I have a friend who is a mathematician and I don't ever talk with him about the lottery anymore since he once very adamantly told me I was a fool to play because "it is random and you will never win". Of course, I've made many thousands so who's the fool? Attackers act from fear and usually lack proper understanding and knowledge. How could they possibly understand us dreamers?

If it wasn't impossible I wouldn't even consider it!

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                  adelaide sa
                  Australia
                  Member #37136
                  April 11, 2006
                  3316 Posts
                  Posted: March 11, 2016, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

Not total strangers nope. plenty of people o know call me a fool for my  gambling.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

United States
                    Member #169911
                    November 6, 2015
                    57 Posts
                    Posted: March 11, 2016, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

That has never happen to me before and if it ever did I would ignore the poor soul.  Like what others have mentioned above that person has probably lost/never won on the lottery so they spread their negativity on others.  Don't listen to them and just continue doing what you're doing.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                      Bay Area - California
                      United States
                      Member #136477
                      December 12, 2012
                      4145 Posts
                      Posted: March 11, 2016, 11:34 pm - IP Logged

No, although a few years ago a panhandler did ask me for money as l was coming out of a store having just bought a few tickets. He said " all l needed was $2.00 & l said sorry, those $2.00 got me this". He looked at the ticket and said" well how does that help me?- for a moment he had me, but l shifted into another gear by saying, " well look at it this way, if this $2.00 ticket is a winner, you also get to win because  l am going to come back here looking for you to give you more than the $2.00 you originally wanted. With a puzzled look on his face, he broke into a grin and said " well yeah, sure- and walked away.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7343 Posts
                        Posted: March 11, 2016, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

Never happened to me, but I heard people criticising people for buying smokes. Some people just have to say something and it's probably best to just ignore them as you did.

amber123's avatar - OpIFNim

United States
                          Member #164727
                          March 12, 2015
                          2672 Posts
                          Posted: March 11, 2016, 11:47 pm - IP Logged

Wow, some tough neighborhoods you guys live in. Green laugh

Where I live, the 85 year old guy in front and back of me on line at the store, fans themselves with their betslips to cool themselves off.ROFL

woody4591's avatar - woodywoodpecker
                            Morristown, NJ
                            United States
                            Member #172032
                            January 14, 2016
                            58 Posts
                            Posted: March 12, 2016, 10:02 am - IP Logged

Well what else am I going to do with my extra cash? I used to spend it on wine, women, and song until all the wining from all the women made me quit singing.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #17843
                              June 28, 2005
                              51098 Posts
                              Posted: March 12, 2016, 11:15 am - IP Logged

Don't take this the wrong way but I think you're looking at this situation in completely the wrong way.

You know those ugly, scary looking dolls people keep around the house that ward off all the evil spirits and bad energy so joy, luck and good energy can flow in? SHE was your ugly voodoo doll. She scared away all the spirits worse than her and you WON $25. 

Next time, try to rub her belly!  Hippy

Okay, on second thought, don't rub her belly. But try to get her to yell at you again and tell us how much you win Banana

Here's to hoping some unhinged, lottery-hating woman chews me out the next time I buy a ticket. All I get are nice, polite people wishing me luck and those people, it turns out, are useless.

I Agree!Maybe she is a reformed Gambler and was trying to Help the O.P.

Or then again: Maybe she is married to someone with a Gambling Addiction and seeing the O.P. Gambling triggered the response!

http://800gambler.org/help-for-gamblers/20-questions-of-gamblers-anonymous/

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!