Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 5:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Ever had random stranger chew you out for buying a lotto ticket?

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 9 months ago by Illinoisdreamer.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7295 Posts
Posted: March 12, 2016, 11:18 am - IP Logged

Today I bought a single scratch off ticket ($300,000,000 cash spectacular that costs $10) and a passing person who I have never seen or met before called me a fool for playing and said people like me are hurting community by supporting lotto

WTF? I assume this is one of those religious people or someone who buys into the "Lotto is tax on poor' nonsense but I didn't ask as I simply said to her "I spend my money from my crappy job how I like" and walked away

I dont know this really bugged me for a little bit today. Who on earth is she to judge me and say something like that to me?

In end I won $25 dollars so a nice +$15 on day for me

Anyone ever have an experience like this?

Must be some kind of weird Karma, but after purchasing some Keno tickets this morning I was asked if I'd like to have back all the money I spent on lottery tickets. I asked if I had to give back all my winnings and didn't get an answer.

NEW YORK
    United States
    Member #90535
    April 29, 2010
    11974 Posts
    Posted: March 12, 2016, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

No, although a few years ago a panhandler did ask me for money as l was coming out of a store having just bought a few tickets. He said " all l needed was $2.00 & l said sorry, those $2.00 got me this". He looked at the ticket and said" well how does that help me?- for a moment he had me, but l shifted into another gear by saying, " well look at it this way, if this $2.00 ticket is a winner, you also get to win because  l am going to come back here looking for you to give you more than the $2.00 you originally wanted. With a puzzled look on his face, he broke into a grin and said " well yeah, sure- and walked away.

HE PROBABLY BECAME RICH AS A PANHANDLER INSTEAD OF PLAYING THE LOTTERY.

Green laughGreen laughGreen laugh

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

cbr$'s avatar - maren
      Cordova,Al.
      United States
      Member #104482
      January 15, 2011
      4857 Posts
      Posted: March 12, 2016, 1:42 pm - IP Logged

Today I bought a single scratch off ticket ($300,000,000 cash spectacular that costs $10) and a passing person who I have never seen or met before called me a fool for playing and said people like me are hurting community by supporting lotto

WTF? I assume this is one of those religious people or someone who buys into the "Lotto is tax on poor' nonsense but I didn't ask as I simply said to her "I spend my money from my crappy job how I like" and walked away

I dont know this really bugged me for a little bit today. Who on earth is she to judge me and say something like that to me?

Congrats, on your win. Yes , I have experience this more then I care here in AL. When I'm about to drive to another state to purchase tickets. When ever I buy a ticket , I just think somebody got to win it, why not me. They are quick to tell you how wasteful or sinful they belief it is. I say God bless them. Little do they know, I have always tithe from my winning + a offering. When I'm waiting for church to start, I write all Hymn #s  down. Plus the numbers from the passage we going to here that day. I wonder what they said, or if they still take the money or the extra donations they ask for if they know it came to me by enjoy the lottery. How sinful or wasteful will it be then?
        zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
        South Carolina
        United States
        Member #77167
        July 15, 2009
        554 Posts
        Posted: March 12, 2016, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

I was buying lottery tickets and a guy I didn't know asked me "What would your pastor think of you buying those tickets?"  I said "Who do you know loves money more than a preacher?" and went on my way.

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.-Rocky Balboa

“Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of going after yours.” – Zig Ziglar

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
          Dump Water Florida
          United States
          Member #380
          June 5, 2002
          3102 Posts
          Posted: March 12, 2016, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

Never happened to me, but did have some grousing about taking too long buying $400.00 lines back when each line was printed on an individual ticket.

If I was a local business owner, I do think some of the big jackpots suck a lot of free range cash out of a community that otherwise could have come my way.

BobP

Tulsa
            United States
            Member #172877
            February 7, 2016
            131 Posts
            Posted: March 12, 2016, 2:18 pm - IP Logged

Never happened to me, but did have some grousing about taking too long buying $400.00 lines back when each line was printed on an individual ticket.

If I was a local business owner, I do think some of the big jackpots suck a lot of free range cash out of a community that otherwise could have come my way.

BobP

Yep, selling them goods like cigs and beer that they obviously need more than lottery tickets.  I'm waiting for the first time someone says something to me about buying a lottery ticket while they hold a 6 pack in their hand.  It may not be the first time they speak out the side of their mouth to a stranger but it could be their last. Some people have to learn a lesson about keeping their mouth closed and you just have to be wittier than them when you do it.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
              Idaho
              United States
              Member #94283
              July 17, 2010
              2284 Posts
              Posted: March 12, 2016, 3:43 pm - IP Logged

I was buying lottery tickets and a guy I didn't know asked me "What would your pastor think of you buying those tickets?"  I said "Who do you know loves money more than a preacher?" and went on my way.

LOL Good one zephbe!

A few years ago I was playing a hunch and played about $60 on one draw and the manager of the c-store closest to me decided to lecture me on how my money could be better spent with a very judgmental tone.  I haven't been back since.  I walk right by and end up walking another 20 minutes to get my tickets from a polite retailer.  I don't even buy ice there anymore.  I actually bought an insulated bag so I could get my ice back home (usually a 20 or 30 minute walk) without it melting, just so I never had to go to that store again.

TinkerMazell's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
                Augusta, Georgia
                United States
                Member #127854
                May 10, 2012
                81 Posts
                Posted: March 12, 2016, 4:25 pm - IP Logged

Haters gonna hate! LOL

I am a $20,000 winner from a Georgia Lottery scratch off game called "$3,000,000 Taxes Paid"!

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
                  JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
                  Member #141034
                  April 2, 2013
                  1406 Posts
                  Posted: March 12, 2016, 5:36 pm - IP Logged

Well what else am I going to do with my extra cash? I used to spend it on wine, women, and song until all the wining from all the women made me quit singing.

Green laughMan that was a good one  Green laugh

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19815 Posts
                    Posted: March 12, 2016, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

Well what else am I going to do with my extra cash? I used to spend it on wine, women, and song until all the wining from all the women made me quit singing.

You'll probably receive more pleasure spending a dollar on a lottery ticket than you would ever receive spending a dollar on a woman. Banana

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                      Member #124304
                      March 11, 2012
                      62 Posts
                      Posted: March 12, 2016, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

This is a great post! I thought I was the only one that got criticized for playing. I have nosy people come up to me all the time and make snide remarks. I think the worst was a man that said "You are always in this store, get a life and I hope you lose". Or the man that said "If you win on that ticket I get half, right?" So I turned around and said "Are you going to give me money for all my losers?" He told me I was rude and walked out of the store. People really need to mind their own business. We all work hard and it should not matter to a stranger what we do with our own money.

Goteki54's avatar - Lottery-007.jpg
                        Baltimore, MD
                        United States
                        Member #143332
                        May 30, 2013
                        398 Posts
                        Posted: March 13, 2016, 7:12 am - IP Logged

I would have told that person that "There is 24 hours in a day, 12 hours is for you to stay out of my business, and the other 12 is to mine yours, now go try it!Bash Clearly the misguided idiot must didn't realize that the money you spent on that scratch off along with other lottery proceeds are being put back into the community that that person claimed you are destroying, because it's a state lottery. When a fool talks, you just laugh at them for who they are.Jack-in-the-Box I might have been a smart ass and put that person on the spot and asked them point blank "Can you be specific on how my scratch off that I just bought hurts communities". That lack of that person's answer would have just made my day.Chair

Following the trends and patterns means following the money!Banana

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
                          Green Bay
                          United States
                          Member #169391
                          October 15, 2015
                          1237 Posts
                          Posted: March 13, 2016, 2:46 pm - IP Logged

My game is Wisconsin supercash and quite often if I feel good about the numbers I run the ticket two or three times.  (Each winning ticket has a jackpot of 350K, up to 20 winners).  Well, some time ago I was at the local Piggly Wiggly food store running my ticket three times, it was the busy time with lots of people waiting in line and behind me there was a middle aged woman who gave me a mean look, like I was taking too long to run three tickets....So when the cashier came back with the three tickets I asked her to run it again one more time.  LOL! 

Did I win?  No but I had fun doing it.

Never give up.  Banana

LottoLucy's avatar - hereslucy header.jpg

United States
                            Member #131594
                            August 14, 2012
                            171 Posts
                            Posted: March 13, 2016, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

I am sorry that happened and someone upset you for even a little bit over what isn't any of their business.

I have had it happen both ways.  I went into a shop that only sold beer, cigarettes, and lottery tickets and bought $70 worth of tickets that would last me 5 weeks.  I had never been into the store before but the clerk went on this rant about how I spent too much money on the lottery and I should be stopped, yada, yada, yada.  I just said hey, you're not my father, husband, or accountant so mind yourself.  I have also had someone tell me I was a fool for wasting my money but I just ignored them.

On the other hand twice now I have had someone tell me I was going to win big.  One guy wasn't so random as I'd go into his store every couple of months but once when I went in he saw me and went very pale, showed me his goose bumps, and said he just had a "vision" of me winning a jackpot in the future.  He was a nice guy and never asked for anything or encouraged me to buy extra and seemed totally sincere.  Then one time I was just standing in line to buy tickets at a grocery store and this totally random woman walked by, stopped, backed up and said this is going to sound weird but I just had this really strange feeling when I saw you that you'll be a jackpot winner some day.  Then she went on her way.  Totally made my day!

Congratulations on the win!

Lotto Lucy

London
                              United Kingdom
                              Member #140684
                              March 24, 2013
                              566 Posts
                              Posted: March 14, 2016, 9:36 am - IP Logged

Nope,

I did have an old lady behind me tell me I will never win if I keep "playing stupid", she then proceeded to purchase tickets for pretty much all the UK draws and then blurted out like 5-6 different scratchers and shoved them in her bag and walked out.

I guess that's the way to win, haha.

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2