Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:43 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I need help with odds calculations

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 7 months ago by looking4$.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
looking4$'s avatar - Lottery-054.jpg
Dana Point, CA
United States
Member #138475
January 28, 2013
25 Posts
Posted: April 9, 2016, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

Can any of you math wizzards help me find out what my odds would be if I eliminated 5 out of 26 Powerballs or 10 out of 69 field numbers? Is there a general formula so I can plug in the numbers on different size games to see how my odds will increase/decrease? Oh, I am using plain ol' Excel so nothing difficult if possible.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19825 Posts
    Posted: April 9, 2016, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

Can any of you math wizzards help me find out what my odds would be if I eliminated 5 out of 26 Powerballs or 10 out of 69 field numbers? Is there a general formula so I can plug in the numbers on different size games to see how my odds will increase/decrease? Oh, I am using plain ol' Excel so nothing difficult if possible.

You don't need to be a math wizard, any odds calculator can be used to answer your question.  If you reduce the number pool by 10 and the bonus pool by 6 then you would figure the odds for a 5/59+1/20 game which would be:

5/6+B=1:100,127,720 with overall odds of 1:10

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Dana Point, CA
      United States
      Member #138475
      January 28, 2013
      25 Posts
      Posted: April 9, 2016, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

Thank you for your response RJOh. So in reality you are making that game a 5/49+1/14? I don't understand what 5/6+B is.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19825 Posts
        Posted: April 9, 2016, 10:00 pm - IP Logged

Thank you for your response RJOh. So in reality you are making that game a 5/49+1/14? I don't understand what 5/6+B is.

Sorry, that 5/6+B should be 5/5+B and those figures were for a 5/59+1/20 game.  That will be obvious when you check them with an odds calculator.

Evil Looking       

Dana Point, CA
          United States
          Member #138475
          January 28, 2013
          25 Posts
          Posted: April 9, 2016, 11:12 pm - IP Logged

Great. Thanx for the info

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            49699 Posts
            Posted: April 10, 2016, 4:47 am - IP Logged

Easy as PI: http://wizardofodds.com/games/lottery/powerball-calculator/

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3474 Posts
              Posted: April 10, 2016, 4:29 pm - IP Logged

"what my odds would be if ..."

Each ticket you buy will have odds of 1 in 292,201,338 for winning the jackpot. It doesn't matter how many numbers you decide not to use, because when they conduct the drawing they're going to use all of them.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19825 Posts
                Posted: April 15, 2016, 8:55 am - IP Logged

"what my odds would be if ..."

Each ticket you buy will have odds of 1 in 292,201,338 for winning the jackpot. It doesn't matter how many numbers you decide not to use, because when they conduct the drawing they're going to use all of them.

True but since the winning combinations only have 5 of the 69 numbers pool and 1 of the 26 bonus numbers pool players are constantly trying to win and reduce their cost by reducing the number pools, it called wheeling. 

As demonstrated by the participants in the Maddog's challenges, they are usually lucky to cover enough of the winning numbers to have even a small win.

Evil Looking       

Madison, WI
                  United States
                  Member #172977
                  February 11, 2016
                  515 Posts
                  Posted: April 15, 2016, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

True but since the winning combinations only have 5 of the 69 numbers pool and 1 of the 26 bonus numbers pool players are constantly trying to win and reduce their cost by reducing the number pools, it called wheeling. 

As demonstrated by the participants in the Maddog's challenges, they are usually lucky to cover enough of the winning numbers to have even a small win.

The point was that you can reduce the number pools all you want, but it doesn't reduce the actual pool of numbers in play. 

Dana Point, CA
                    United States
                    Member #138475
                    January 28, 2013
                    25 Posts
                    Posted: April 16, 2016, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

If you take away 1/3 of the numbers wouldn't your chances increase to 1:97,400? What I'm trying to figure, is picking your own numbers really better than just playing Quick Picks?

Madison, WI
                      United States
                      Member #172977
                      February 11, 2016
                      515 Posts
                      Posted: April 17, 2016, 9:38 am - IP Logged

If you take away 1/3 of the numbers wouldn't your chances increase to 1:97,400? What I'm trying to figure, is picking your own numbers really better than just playing Quick Picks?

If you took away 1/3 of the numbers it would only improve your chances if the lottery also took away the same 1/3 of numbers.

As far as your second question, that's the million dollar question the it appears people have been trying to solve here for years. Still not answered in my opinion. Some believe they find the patterns and systems that solve it, but I haven't seen evidence that bears that out as of yet. Still hoping its out there somewhere though!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19825 Posts
                        Posted: April 17, 2016, 11:06 am - IP Logged

"I'm trying to figure, is picking your own numbers really better than just playing Quick Picks?"

According to websites like MUSL and many state lottery websites, 70-80% of all winners are quick-picks but the percent of winners among the self-picks and quick-picks are the same.

Evil Looking       

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                          Texas
                          United States
                          Member #55889
                          October 23, 2007
                          5592 Posts
                          Posted: April 17, 2016, 11:39 am - IP Logged

The point was that you can reduce the number pools all you want, but it doesn't reduce the actual pool of numbers in play. 

What a person is trying to do is filter out numbers to reduce the odds. IF the conditions in the draw are met, then a person has better odds than playing the entire field of numbers in the game. When I pick numbers for Texas Lotto (6/54). I don't play numbers in the 50's, or numbers that were in the last draw. So I'm playing from a pool of 43 numbers for odds of 1 in 6096454, instead of 1 in 25,827,165. That's over 19 million combinations off the table.

Does it work all the time? Of course not. There are times when a number in the 50's will play. There are times when 1 or 2 numbers from the previous draw will be drawn again. But, the idea is to reduce the odds WHEN those conditions are met for that draw.

To each his own.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Madison, WI
                            United States
                            Member #172977
                            February 11, 2016
                            515 Posts
                            Posted: April 17, 2016, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

What a person is trying to do is filter out numbers to reduce the odds. IF the conditions in the draw are met, then a person has better odds than playing the entire field of numbers in the game. When I pick numbers for Texas Lotto (6/54). I don't play numbers in the 50's, or numbers that were in the last draw. So I'm playing from a pool of 43 numbers for odds of 1 in 6096454, instead of 1 in 25,827,165. That's over 19 million combinations off the table.

Does it work all the time? Of course not. There are times when a number in the 50's will play. There are times when 1 or 2 numbers from the previous draw will be drawn again. But, the idea is to reduce the odds WHEN those conditions are met for that draw.

To each his own.

Right, but just making the point that filtering out the 50s and previous draws or other numbers doesn't change the odds at all. Combine the odds of your conditions occurring with the odds of being right within your remaining numbers and you are back to the same odds you started with. Its more a mind thing than anything else.

Taken to the extreme, if I filter out everything but one remaining combination of numbers, I have increased my odds of winning to 100% if my conditions have been met. Still doesn't make my actual odds any better.

NY
                              United States
                              Member #23835
                              October 16, 2005
                              3474 Posts
                              Posted: April 17, 2016, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

Exactly. If somebody really believes wheeling actually works they should just wheel 5 regular numbers and 1 bonus number, and then play all one of the possible combinations. "If the conditions are met" they'll win and they won't have lost any money playing a bunch of losing combinations.

Of course that bit about "ff the conditions are met" probably won't work in your favor. It's no different than saying I'll be a billionaire tomorrow if Bill Gates writes me a big enough check tonight. It's 100% true and there's a 99.999999999999999% chance it won't happen.