Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 7:11 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you have any peculiar lottery habits or superstitions?

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 7 months ago by weshar75.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Theox-'s avatar - DAylUYw

United States
Member #148698
November 9, 2013
96 Posts
Posted: April 17, 2016, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

I only have one. I never check the winning numbers of a draw on the night that it takes place, I like to look at them on the next morning. That way when I go to bed I don't know if I've won big or not. I do something similar with scratch offs too. I usually wait a few hours after buying it before I see if I've won anything

It's a weird habit that I've recently started. Hopefully someday I'll wake up in the morning check the numbers and realize that I don't have to go back to work ever again. I know that the odds are way against me but it's nice to go to sleep with the thought of being rich.

Albany, GA
    United States
    Member #100611
    November 15, 2010
    10164 Posts
    Posted: April 17, 2016, 2:30 pm - IP Logged

I only have one. I never check the winning numbers of a draw on the night that it takes place, I like to look at them on the next morning. That way when I go to bed I don't know if I've won big or not. I do something similar with scratch offs too. I usually wait a few hours after buying it before I see if I've won anything

It's a weird habit that I've recently started. Hopefully someday I'll wake up in the morning check the numbers and realize that I don't have to go back to work ever again. I know that the odds are way against me but it's nice to go to sleep with the thought of being rich.

It's not a weird habit at all. I've been the same way for years. Prolongs the suspense for a while longer instead of dashing your hopes to smithereens immediately after the draw. To this date, I have never watched a live draw. I will leave the room or change the channel if I see the numbers about to come up. I also refuse to be hanging around in the store to get the results from the lottery terminal printout. On the few occasions I was in the store (usually just talking or getting some coffee or whatever) it was always the kiss of death (bad luck) However, on the other hand I have no problem to immediately check the results if I have no tickets, sweating bullets and hoping that one of my regular numbers was not drawn, lol

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
      Happy California
      United States
      Member #157856
      August 2, 2014
      1522 Posts
      Posted: April 18, 2016, 4:12 am - IP Logged

Why ruin a good night's sleep with a lottery win? Your adrenaline would be sky high if you checked a winner. You could not go to sleep for a lengthy period of time. The numbers will be the same in the morning.Bed

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

Slovenia
        Member #172924
        February 9, 2016
        46 Posts
        Posted: April 18, 2016, 5:11 am - IP Logged

Same here. It increases the value of the ticket. More fun for longer time for the same price. But sometimes someone or the radio inadvertently ruins it the next day by mentioning the winners location or the fact the no one won.

CR, IA
          United States
          Member #174315
          April 13, 2016
          3 Posts
          Posted: April 18, 2016, 6:31 am - IP Logged

I check numbers about every other month...I just check usamega the next day if I don't hear anything on the local news.  See if my state won or won a runner up prize.  When my state does have a runner up, I prolong it for a couple more days before checking.  I get my money out of that dollar or two with the suspense!

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
            Texas
            United States
            Member #55889
            October 23, 2007
            5615 Posts
            Posted: April 18, 2016, 10:42 am - IP Logged

Pretty interesting. I used to check my tix in the morning also, but anymore, I'm waiting fro the results before I go to bed.

I guess it's because I'm so fed up with my job, that I want to know asap. Funny thing is, if I did win a jackpot, I probably wouldn't claim it right away, but set up a trust to claim it for me. But, it would be reassuring to go to work knowing it wouldn't matter if I never sold another stick of furniture.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

United States
              Member #148698
              November 9, 2013
              96 Posts
              Posted: April 18, 2016, 11:06 am - IP Logged

Pretty interesting. I used to check my tix in the morning also, but anymore, I'm waiting fro the results before I go to bed.

I guess it's because I'm so fed up with my job, that I want to know asap. Funny thing is, if I did win a jackpot, I probably wouldn't claim it right away, but set up a trust to claim it for me. But, it would be reassuring to go to work knowing it wouldn't matter if I never sold another stick of furniture.

I despise my current job too. The moment that I find out that I've won will also be the moment that I quit my job.

cbr$'s avatar - maren
                Cordova,Al.
                United States
                Member #104482
                January 15, 2011
                4940 Posts
                Posted: April 18, 2016, 11:20 am - IP Logged
                I have [3] habits [1] I don't check the tickets  the same day. [2] I like to wait late at night to do scratch
                off. [ This is a lesson I learn , I don't do scratch- offs on first night of long Holiday weekend because you 
                loss 3 nights of sleep instead of 1.Smile
                  lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
                  Member #118609
                  November 4, 2011
                  939 Posts
                  Posted: April 18, 2016, 12:39 pm - IP Logged

Guess I am with the general consensus here.  I dont check my tickets immediately, usually the next day or two on Usamega to see if the games rolled or were won.  If it hasnt been won, the extra time allows for dreaming.  Although I already have my notes and "to do" list, still fun to wish and hope.  Never once have I watched the numbers drawn.  As for scratchers I think I have played three times.  Last one a month ago I won $20 but put it up to beginners luck.  I also won $30 last week off pb, I am hoping my luck is changing, it has been a longggg, dry spell.

Good luck everybody.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19831 Posts
                    Posted: April 18, 2016, 12:53 pm - IP Logged

I always buy extra tickets on my birthday, my gift to me.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

sookie's avatar - nw femalewiz.jpg

United States
                      Member #142686
                      May 17, 2013
                      94 Posts
                      Posted: April 18, 2016, 1:34 pm - IP Logged

I don't check my tickets the night of the drawing.  I wait till the next morning for a couple of reasons:

-  I don't want to be up all night now sitting there with a ticket worth $200+ million and not be able to get to sleep. I want to be fresh because after I do find out I won, I will be busy and will need a clear head.

- The results don't always update right away so I don't know if it rolled and I need to get some new tickets or if I just need to call my attorney and accountant.  Also when I win, I want to know if it was just my ticket that hit so I can plan how much I will get before getting started on my plan of action.

That's why I wait till morning.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                        adelaide sa
                        Australia
                        Member #37136
                        April 11, 2006
                        3301 Posts
                        Posted: April 18, 2016, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

I have 2 superstitions

1:  my regs will come up when i dont buy a ticket.

2:  if i dont buy my regs, dont check the numbers

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

United States
                          Member #148698
                          November 9, 2013
                          96 Posts
                          Posted: April 19, 2016, 1:11 am - IP Logged

I have 2 superstitions

1:  my regs will come up when i dont buy a ticket.

2:  if i dont buy my regs, dont check the numbers

I've determined that it's for best if I don't have a set of special numbers. I know that it's not possible for me to be in every single drawing. I'd literally go insane if my numbers are drawn and I didn't buy a ticket.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                            Ringleader
                            Michigan
                            United States
                            Member #81740
                            October 28, 2009
                            40610 Posts
                            Posted: April 19, 2016, 10:05 pm - IP Logged

Never let anyone touch the actual ticket after it is purchased.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
                              Green Bay
                              United States
                              Member #169391
                              October 15, 2015
                              1249 Posts
                              Posted: April 20, 2016, 12:32 am - IP Logged

My wife's family used to own a restaurant in Green Bay and from time to time I would help out, washing dishes and working the cash register.  Well, about 6 years ago a regular customer came in and told us he hit the JP in Supercash, 350K.  As it turns out, he did.  So thinking some of that luck would rub off on me, I asked to shake his hand.  And...............It didn't.

Never give up.  Banana