Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:16 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you have any peculiar lottery habits or superstitions?

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 7 months ago by weshar75.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
MoneyMike$'s avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
Ny
United States
Member #167314
July 5, 2015
1807 Posts
Posted: April 20, 2016, 1:03 am - IP Logged

I've determined that it's for best if I don't have a set of special numbers. I know that it's not possible for me to be in every single drawing. I'd literally go insane if my numbers are drawn and I didn't buy a ticket.

Yes no special sets of #'s. Your special set can be your downfall. Why not a fresh start on every draw?

Creativity..

" What's more likely to happen will happen.. "

Million dollar operation 

Wink

SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
    Member #165541
    April 12, 2015
    545 Posts
    Posted: April 21, 2016, 12:47 am - IP Logged

I only have one. I never check the winning numbers of a draw on the night that it takes place, I like to look at them on the next morning. That way when I go to bed I don't know if I've won big or not. I do something similar with scratch offs too. I usually wait a few hours after buying it before I see if I've won anything

It's a weird habit that I've recently started. Hopefully someday I'll wake up in the morning check the numbers and realize that I don't have to go back to work ever again. I know that the odds are way against me but it's nice to go to sleep with the thought of being rich.

I am going to take the other side of the coin here.  I almost always watch the draws.  I like to know the numbers immmediately so I can start my wo.

I like to at least feel like its fair.  If there is not physical live viewable drawing, that its no better than RNG.

But the worst habit I have is not cashing one dollar tickets. 

Whenever I watch the draw hoping for a million dollars and I find out I only won $1, I feel so low I just throw it in the box.  Without marking it! 

I am already dreading having to go in that box and double check all those tickets.  But I think there should be at least $20 bucks in there.

That reminds me of another habit I have. 

I tend to circle my winning number with a red pen.  Then any game that actually won a prize, I fill the circle with a highlighter.  Looks kind of pretty to see three

numbers in a row light up!  Its money in the bank!

ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
      Member #169277
      October 10, 2015
      630 Posts
      Posted: April 21, 2016, 9:27 am - IP Logged

I've determined that it's for best if I don't have a set of special numbers. I know that it's not possible for me to be in every single drawing. I'd literally go insane if my numbers are drawn and I didn't buy a ticket.

I agree with that. I also think I do better with fresh numbers than when I run the old slips for another week.

Theox-'s avatar - DAylUYw

United States
        Member #148698
        November 9, 2013
        96 Posts
        Posted: April 23, 2016, 11:17 pm - IP Logged

I agree with that. I also think I do better with fresh numbers than when I run the old slips for another week.

I do prefer new numbers but I sometimes wonder if a past quick pick might've been a winner a later draw. I've bought so many tickets over the past few years it'd be hard to keep track of if a past ticket was a winner in another draw.

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
          Brooklyn, NY
          United States
          Member #169723
          October 29, 2015
          879 Posts
          Posted: May 3, 2016, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

My wife's family used to own a restaurant in Green Bay and from time to time I would help out, washing dishes and working the cash register.  Well, about 6 years ago a regular customer came in and told us he hit the JP in Supercash, 350K.  As it turns out, he did.  So thinking some of that luck would rub off on me, I asked to shake his hand.  And...............It didn't.

Quite a few years ago I was in Staten Island, on the way home from New Jersey.

I stopped at the store that had just sold the winning Mega ticket (Jan 8, 2016 for $165 mil) and as I was exiting the store after buying my lottery tickets, I ran into Curtis Sharp on the way in.

With all the fuss they made over him and Lou Eisenberg (they were the first two winners on $5 mil each in NY's Lottery) it was hard to not know it was him.

I shook his hand and went on my way. Like you, it didn't do any good.

PS...They're both broke now.

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

LottoLucy's avatar - hereslucy header.jpg

United States
            Member #131594
            August 14, 2012
            171 Posts
            Posted: May 3, 2016, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

I only have one. I never check the winning numbers of a draw on the night that it takes place, I like to look at them on the next morning. That way when I go to bed I don't know if I've won big or not. I do something similar with scratch offs too. I usually wait a few hours after buying it before I see if I've won anything

It's a weird habit that I've recently started. Hopefully someday I'll wake up in the morning check the numbers and realize that I don't have to go back to work ever again. I know that the odds are way against me but it's nice to go to sleep with the thought of being rich.

I almost always check my numbers as soon as the results are posted.

Some of my weird habits:

I rarely buy just 1 ticket or 5 tickets.  I always do what I think of as "1 up" and buy either three tickets, or six, or eleven.  This is due to a dream I had a long time ago.

I like to calculate my after tax take on whatever game is being drawn that day and I try to "respect" that day's game by not calculating tomorrow's game.  This is hard when Monday is a measly $7 million in cash 4 life win and Tuesday is $182 million Mega Millions jackpot.Confused

I always buy extra tickets on holidays and birthdays.

I look for omens.  My husband says I have a unique ability to see a reason to buy an extra ticket out of just about anything.Big Smile

Lotto Lucy

Deo-nonfortuna's avatar - hqdefault
              NJ
              United States
              Member #165922
              April 27, 2015
              3338 Posts
              Posted: May 5, 2016, 7:44 am - IP Logged

I have 2 superstitions

1:  my regs will come up when i dont buy a ticket.

2:  if i dont buy my regs, dont check the numbers

Quippy as usual, ur #1 is the basis for all lotto addiction.

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
                Brooklyn, NY
                United States
                Member #169723
                October 29, 2015
                879 Posts
                Posted: May 5, 2016, 10:58 am - IP Logged

My superstition is to not buy any lottery tickets for other people unless you are going to share in the winnings...if any.

You never know...you buy a ticket for someone else, they win and you get nothing.

No NodNo NoNo NodNo NoNo NodNo NoNo NodNo NoNo NodNo NoNo NodNo No

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

Portland, OR
                  United States
                  Member #145973
                  August 20, 2013
                  226 Posts
                  Posted: May 5, 2016, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

-  I buy the ticket if the vendor had a mistake and keyed in any number wrong or gave me a different lottery ticket, but I also buy a ticket with the correct numbers.  Yeah it sucks.

-  I don't change initial numbers that I chose even if they look like numbers they would never come out.  Learned my lesson millions of times.

-  If the vendor tells me, "sorry you missed the ride for this drawing by 6 minutes", I play 6 as the PB or MB next time.  :-)  Things like that.   It works wonders for me.  Ok, not all the time.

-  I pick my numbers based on the Cuban/Chinese Charade here:  https://www.lotterypost.com/charts/mystical/lacharada   VERY effective.  I recall everything important I experienced since the last drawing.  Has to be something very important.  A dog bite (dog, doctor), a good or bad dream, news, death, license plate of car involved in an accident (this has nothing to do with charade but I write them down), stuff like that and then look up their charade number.  The most important event number I use it as the PB or MB number.  For me this system is better than picking any random numbers.

I don't know, that's me.  It makes the game more fun for me and it pays sometimes.

"Understand... people are more complicated than the masks they wear in society... everyone is playing to win, and some people will use moral justifications to advance their side"

Robert Greene

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
                    USA
                    United States
                    Member #152799
                    February 25, 2014
                    1092 Posts
                    Posted: May 5, 2016, 1:36 pm - IP Logged

You are not alone as I do the same thing! I always enjoy a good dream the night of a drawing.

morgothaod's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg

United States
                      Member #154519
                      April 19, 2014
                      243 Posts
                      Posted: May 5, 2016, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

I try to avoid the number 39 on scratch offs since I seem to always lose on them.  I also hate it when cashiers wish me good luck!

Show me the money!

Kingofearth's avatar - Kinnak
                        Upstate NY
                        United States
                        Member #174656
                        May 5, 2016
                        766 Posts
                        Posted: May 8, 2016, 12:06 am - IP Logged

If there's someone behind me and isn't gonna buy a ticket, I always let them go ahead of me in hopes that the quick pick machine sees my act of kindness and gives me the winning ticket. If they are gonna buy a ticket, I'm not gonna take the chance of losing my winning ticket.

Maryland
                          United States
                          Member #162434
                          January 2, 2015
                          891 Posts
                          Posted: May 8, 2016, 3:39 am - IP Logged

If there's someone behind me and isn't gonna buy a ticket, I always let them go ahead of me in hopes that the quick pick machine sees my act of kindness and gives me the winning ticket. If they are gonna buy a ticket, I'm not gonna take the chance of losing my winning ticket.

Yea I do this also, but just so I don't get rushed and make a mistake as I often change or adjust things right at the last moment. 

Also I watch ever drawing that I can catch live - I like to scream at the tv if I watch 2 of my 3 numbers come out on the third number - "come on X"! 

Maryland
                            United States
                            Member #162434
                            January 2, 2015
                            891 Posts
                            Posted: May 9, 2016, 5:42 am - IP Logged

I try to avoid the number 39 on scratch offs since I seem to always lose on them.  I also hate it when cashiers wish me good luck!

That reminds me of the clerks which should not run the machines - The ones that say

'OMG, are you really buying $20 on the lottery??? How do you have the money to waste on lottery like that? I wish I had money like that to waste' 

That was a quote from the other day at a Giant store which I will not be going back to. 

sully16's avatar - sharan
                              Ringleader
                              Michigan
                              United States
                              Member #81740
                              October 28, 2009
                              40561 Posts
                              Posted: May 9, 2016, 8:03 pm - IP Logged

That reminds me of the clerks which should not run the machines - The ones that say

'OMG, are you really buying $20 on the lottery??? How do you have the money to waste on lottery like that? I wish I had money like that to waste' 

That was a quote from the other day at a Giant store which I will not be going back to. 

Had a few of those over the years.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"