Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 7:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

A crazy lottery story

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 8 months ago by myturn.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #140884
March 29, 2013
45 Posts
Posted: April 17, 2016, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

This morning I purchased two lottery tickets for this week's Mega and Power from a vending machine.  They were quick picks.  The computer definitely generated two sets of numbers but the printer jammed and no tickets were printed.  When they opened the machine and pulled out the ticket paper it was all blank.  There was just a young kid working there who knew nothing.  I have since been told that the computer will void the first ticket that jammed but the second ticket (the powerball) should print as usual.  The manager was at his home far away and told me over the phone he would take care of it and contact me.  I am not that trusting.  I did successfully purchase two other quick pick tickets immediately before the malfunction so I have the exact time period.  I have also been told that there is an internal record of each ticket serial number.  I have already composed a letter to the legal head of the state's lottery commission for overnight delivery.  I know that the odds of this being a winning ticket are astronomical, but stranger things have happened.  What do you think my chances are of getting my ticket with whatever numbers had been generated or having that  ticket voided as well?

Albany, GA
    United States
    Member #100611
    November 15, 2010
    10278 Posts
    Posted: April 17, 2016, 3:30 pm - IP Logged

This morning I purchased two lottery tickets for this week's Mega and Power from a vending machine.  They were quick picks.  The computer definitely generated two sets of numbers but the printer jammed and no tickets were printed.  When they opened the machine and pulled out the ticket paper it was all blank.  There was just a young kid working there who knew nothing.  I have since been told that the computer will void the first ticket that jammed but the second ticket (the powerball) should print as usual.  The manager was at his home far away and told me over the phone he would take care of it and contact me.  I am not that trusting.  I did successfully purchase two other quick pick tickets immediately before the malfunction so I have the exact time period.  I have also been told that there is an internal record of each ticket serial number.  I have already composed a letter to the legal head of the state's lottery commission for overnight delivery.  I know that the odds of this being a winning ticket are astronomical, but stranger things have happened.  What do you think my chances are of getting my ticket with whatever numbers had been generated or having that  ticket voided as well?

I've had the printer jam on me countless times. It can be a nightmare if running a lot of play slips, but its essentially just a matter of figuring out which ones printed or did not print. But in the particular case you describe, if production and delivery of your quick pick ticket is contingent upon some technician being able to pinpoint and extrapolate an internal computerized record, I'm guessing your chances are slim to none. I never encountered this particular scenario so I maybe I'm wrong. I know you want the one that failed to print, but they may just give you a coupon for a free ticket.

Albany, GA
      United States
      Member #100611
      November 15, 2010
      10278 Posts
      Posted: April 17, 2016, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

Sometimes I mark quick picks on my play slips in between the numbers I am playing. I never really worried about the quick picks that failed to print if the printer jammed, but would just mark some additional quick picks on the remaining play slips after getting everything sorted out. But if your luck is anything like mine, the winning ticket may very well turn out to be the one qp ticket that failed to print. To look at it that way, it may be worth the effort, especially since you were playing Powerball.

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
        Green Bay
        United States
        Member #169391
        October 15, 2015
        1277 Posts
        Posted: April 17, 2016, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

That was Gods way of telling you, not a winner.

Never give up.  Banana

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19895 Posts
          Posted: April 17, 2016, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

I always buy my ticket from a clerk, no tickets or misprints no pay, not my problem.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Albany, GA
            United States
            Member #100611
            November 15, 2010
            10278 Posts
            Posted: April 17, 2016, 4:18 pm - IP Logged

I always buy my ticket from a clerk, no tickets or misprints no pay, not my problem.

yep, same here

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
              Member #52345
              May 21, 2007
              2679 Posts
              Posted: April 17, 2016, 4:25 pm - IP Logged

Skepticaldepending on mood I get from either the machine or the clerk,

never had a machine jam on me though

gra8*2win's avatar - spherewall
                williamson county
                United States
                Member #119081
                November 14, 2011
                2819 Posts
                Posted: April 17, 2016, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

Sometimes I mark quick picks on my play slips in between the numbers I am playing. I never really worried about the quick picks that failed to print if the printer jammed, but would just mark some additional quick picks on the remaining play slips after getting everything sorted out. But if your luck is anything like mine, the winning ticket may very well turn out to be the one qp ticket that failed to print. To look at it that way, it may be worth the effort, especially since you were playing Powerball.

i love getting quick pics......but i want my quick pics  separate from my plays............at least in tennessee .......i am afraid they see my plays.......

and might just give me quick pics that hover around them........i get my quick pics.......by itself......no other numbers played at that time......i may

be just superstitious....but hey not taking any chances.....but if my ticket gets jammed......i want that ticket......stranger things have happened....

You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails

Albany, GA
                  United States
                  Member #100611
                  November 15, 2010
                  10278 Posts
                  Posted: April 17, 2016, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

i love getting quick pics......but i want my quick pics  separate from my plays............at least in tennessee .......i am afraid they see my plays.......

and might just give me quick pics that hover around them........i get my quick pics.......by itself......no other numbers played at that time......i may

be just superstitious....but hey not taking any chances.....but if my ticket gets jammed......i want that ticket......stranger things have happened....

I never thought about it from that aspect, but I intentionally intersperse my quick picks in between my own plays on the play slips since it will sometimes results in a similar number being generated, maybe one or two digits off from my picks, but still one I never would have thought of on my own.

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7341 Posts
                    Posted: April 17, 2016, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

I can see no logical reason hoping a vending machine will accept the cash we try to put into them especially when I can ask the clerk for QPs and simply hand them the money. Maybe I'm just cynical because I always wonder why people talk about problems that are easily solved.

United States
                      Member #140884
                      March 29, 2013
                      45 Posts
                      Posted: April 18, 2016, 5:44 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

I can see no logical reason hoping a vending machine will accept the cash we try to put into them especially when I can ask the clerk for QPs and simply hand them the money. Maybe I'm just cynical because I always wonder why people talk about problems that are easily solved.

For the record, there was no other lottery terminal in this store other than the 1 vending machine and since I was never in this area before, had ended up there by chance and have no reason to ever return, I bought the ticket as a thought on the way out.

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7341 Posts
                        Posted: April 18, 2016, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

For the record, there was no other lottery terminal in this store other than the 1 vending machine and since I was never in this area before, had ended up there by chance and have no reason to ever return, I bought the ticket as a thought on the way out.

"What do you think my chances are of getting my ticket with whatever numbers had been generated or having that  ticket voided as well? "

You'll never know what the numbers where because they didn't print. Do you get a refund or another ticket?

MoneyMike$'s avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                          Ny
                          United States
                          Member #167314
                          July 5, 2015
                          1810 Posts
                          Posted: April 18, 2016, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

I never thought about it from that aspect, but I intentionally intersperse my quick picks in between my own plays on the play slips since it will sometimes results in a similar number being generated, maybe one or two digits off from my picks, but still one I never would have thought of on my own.

I believe putting the qp's between your plays is your best bet as i do the same.. they do mostly give u similar combos so how could u go wrong

Creativity..

" What's more likely to happen will happen.. "

Million dollar operation 

Wink

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3502 Posts
                            Posted: April 18, 2016, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

I've been in at least one store in PA that only had a vending machine. Since it was a chain store I'm figuring that's likely to be the case in many, or perhaps even all, of their stores. Pretty sure it was a Wawa.

I've used vending machines a few times, but not all that many. I've always gotten my tickets, but I had to get an employee to help once because the machine took my $2 and then wouldn't read my bet slip. As a rough guess that means a failure rate of perhaps 10% for my experience with the machines.

NY
                              United States
                              Member #23835
                              October 16, 2005
                              3502 Posts
                              Posted: April 18, 2016, 10:20 pm - IP Logged

"What do you think my chances are of getting my ticket with whatever numbers had been generated or having that  ticket voided as well? "

You'll never know what the numbers where because they didn't print. Do you get a refund or another ticket?

The OP may never find out, but if the ticket was authorized by the central computer, which seems likely based on their account, then the lottery has a record and knows what the numbers were. If I'd successfully gotten tickets before hand I'd have spent $1 on another ticket afterwards, just so the unprinted tickets would be sandwiched between my other tickets. That  should go along way towards offering proof on the off chance that the missing tickets turn out to be worth anything meaningful.