Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 11:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

A crazy lottery story

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 9 months ago by myturn.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #140884
March 29, 2013
45 Posts
Posted: April 19, 2016, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

The OP may never find out, but if the ticket was authorized by the central computer, which seems likely based on their account, then the lottery has a record and knows what the numbers were. If I'd successfully gotten tickets before hand I'd have spent $1 on another ticket afterwards, just so the unprinted tickets would be sandwiched between my other tickets. That  should go along way towards offering proof on the off chance that the missing tickets turn out to be worth anything meaningful.

I had purchased two tickets immediately before but the machine was dead once the printer jammed. I believe the numbers exist somewhere and I sent off an overnight letter to thd head of the gaming commission. Interested to see if they reply. Meanwhile I'll be checking to if there are any winners from this location

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
    Nutley, New Jersey
    United States
    Member #131058
    August 1, 2012
    875 Posts
    Posted: April 24, 2016, 8:58 am - IP Logged

This morning I purchased two lottery tickets for this week's Mega and Power from a vending machine.  They were quick picks.  The computer definitely generated two sets of numbers but the printer jammed and no tickets were printed.  When they opened the machine and pulled out the ticket paper it was all blank.  There was just a young kid working there who knew nothing.  I have since been told that the computer will void the first ticket that jammed but the second ticket (the powerball) should print as usual.  The manager was at his home far away and told me over the phone he would take care of it and contact me.  I am not that trusting.  I did successfully purchase two other quick pick tickets immediately before the malfunction so I have the exact time period.  I have also been told that there is an internal record of each ticket serial number.  I have already composed a letter to the legal head of the state's lottery commission for overnight delivery.  I know that the odds of this being a winning ticket are astronomical, but stranger things have happened.  What do you think my chances are of getting my ticket with whatever numbers had been generated or having that  ticket voided as well?

Did you win?

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
      Pennsylvania
      United States
      Member #74096
      May 2, 2009
      23243 Posts
      Posted: April 24, 2016, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

I've been in at least one store in PA that only had a vending machine. Since it was a chain store I'm figuring that's likely to be the case in many, or perhaps even all, of their stores. Pretty sure it was a Wawa.

I've used vending machines a few times, but not all that many. I've always gotten my tickets, but I had to get an employee to help once because the machine took my $2 and then wouldn't read my bet slip. As a rough guess that means a failure rate of perhaps 10% for my experience with the machines.

No, not all. Wawa does the instant vends and I don't like going there.

I'd rather have a clerk for daily/weekly games.

357 369

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
        Pennsylvania
        United States
        Member #74096
        May 2, 2009
        23243 Posts
        Posted: April 24, 2016, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

I had purchased two tickets immediately before but the machine was dead once the printer jammed. I believe the numbers exist somewhere and I sent off an overnight letter to thd head of the gaming commission. Interested to see if they reply. Meanwhile I'll be checking to if there are any winners from this location

Chances are they're voided by now. I don't think they'll give you any more than replacement tickets

or just let the store handle it. I highly doubt you'll get the same numbers that were generated but chewed

up....too much extra work in that process for someone.

Did the manager call you?

357 369

sully16's avatar - sharan
          Ringleader
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #81740
          October 28, 2009
          42157 Posts
          Posted: April 24, 2016, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

This morning I purchased two lottery tickets for this week's Mega and Power from a vending machine.  They were quick picks.  The computer definitely generated two sets of numbers but the printer jammed and no tickets were printed.  When they opened the machine and pulled out the ticket paper it was all blank.  There was just a young kid working there who knew nothing.  I have since been told that the computer will void the first ticket that jammed but the second ticket (the powerball) should print as usual.  The manager was at his home far away and told me over the phone he would take care of it and contact me.  I am not that trusting.  I did successfully purchase two other quick pick tickets immediately before the malfunction so I have the exact time period.  I have also been told that there is an internal record of each ticket serial number.  I have already composed a letter to the legal head of the state's lottery commission for overnight delivery.  I know that the odds of this being a winning ticket are astronomical, but stranger things have happened.  What do you think my chances are of getting my ticket with whatever numbers had been generated or having that  ticket voided as well?

Let it go, create some positive Karma and come back stronger.

HyperBe Happy.

Funtimz's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
            Member #165244
            March 30, 2015
            229 Posts
            Posted: April 25, 2016, 9:48 am - IP Logged

I had an issue with a vending machine this past Saturday. I usually play the same #'s for Power ball so I  will use the same  play ticket a few times, well this past Saturday the machine ate my ticket. I mean I got my money back and just filled out another ticket. But I guess even though the ticket was in good condition they can maybe still feel worn out according to the machine. Now sure otherwise why it would eat it.

Take Risks: If you win, you'll be happy.  If you lose, you will be wiser...

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
              Brooklyn, NY
              United States
              Member #169723
              October 29, 2015
              887 Posts
              Posted: May 1, 2016, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

If the first ticket didn't print, why would you try and print a second ticket?

I think your chances are of getting a ticket with whatever numbers had been generated are more than the odds off wining the jackpot of the lottery game you were playing. Somewhere between slim and none.

No NoThudChair

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

Albany, GA
                United States
                Member #100611
                November 15, 2010
                10285 Posts
                Posted: May 1, 2016, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

If the first ticket didn't print, why would you try and print a second ticket?

I think your chances are of getting a ticket with whatever numbers had been generated are more than the odds off wining the jackpot of the lottery game you were playing. Somewhere between slim and none.

No NoThudChair

Same thing I said, his chances on retrieving the original quick pick that failed to print range from slim to none.

If anything, they'll probably give him a coupon for a free ticket.

Never used one of these machines myself, but that seems to be a good point in regard to the print sequence, unless maybe you can make more than 1 selection in advance and it all gets printed or jammed at the same time (?)

Bondi Junction
                  Australia
                  Member #57242
                  December 24, 2007
                  1102 Posts
                  Posted: May 8, 2016, 7:33 am - IP Logged

One of the reasons I play by subscription!

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

Slick Nick's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
                    Rochester
                    United States
                    Member #103282
                    January 1, 2011
                    606 Posts
                    Posted: May 8, 2016, 8:19 am - IP Logged

Nice story Wally, and you made the right moves. I would stay on this until the end. Smash

Money is a terrible master, but a great servant...Smile

Bondi Junction
                      Australia
                      Member #57242
                      December 24, 2007
                      1102 Posts
                      Posted: May 8, 2016, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

Check with your state lottery, they may provide a subscription service, which would be very convenient. If they don't, you could subscribe to the Massachusetts lottery, which has a subscription service available across the United States.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!