Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 9:30 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Can I become anonymous?

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 5 months ago by James78.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
morgothaod's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg

United States
Member #154519
April 19, 2014
243 Posts
Posted: May 11, 2016, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

Lets say I'm a FL resident and won the PB.  If I decided to move to a state where winners can become anonymous, could I then just wait to become a resident of that state and then claim my winnings anonymously?

Show me the money!

LottoLucy's avatar - hereslucy header.jpg

United States
    Member #131594
    August 14, 2012
    171 Posts
    Posted: May 11, 2016, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

Lets say I'm a FL resident and won the PB.  If I decided to move to a state where winners can become anonymous, could I then just wait to become a resident of that state and then claim my winnings anonymously?

Unfortunately, no.  You will have to collect your winnings under the rules of the lottery in the state where you purchased the ticket.

Lotto Lucy

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
      Green Bay
      United States
      Member #169391
      October 15, 2015
      1238 Posts
      Posted: May 11, 2016, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

I'd worry about winning first...Everything after that would be easy.

Never give up.  Banana

Deo-nonfortuna's avatar - hqdefault
        NJ
        United States
        Member #165922
        April 27, 2015
        3306 Posts
        Posted: May 11, 2016, 5:03 pm - IP Logged

I'd worry about winning first...Everything after that would be easy.

Yea no kidding. LP is full of people who make believe they won PB MM jackpot and seeking advices on what to do with the $ they'll never win. Win first and then worry about ur next move.

morgothaod's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg

United States
          Member #154519
          April 19, 2014
          243 Posts
          Posted: May 11, 2016, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

You guys won't win with those attitudes! LOL

Show me the money!

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            49618 Posts
            Posted: May 12, 2016, 8:46 am - IP Logged

If you want a Legal Opinion: Ask an Attorney!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
              Idaho
              United States
              Member #94283
              July 17, 2010
              2284 Posts
              Posted: May 12, 2016, 10:30 am - IP Logged

The anonymity rules that apply are the ones applicable in the state in which you purchase your winning ticket.

You can stay anonymous by driving up to South Carolina to buy your tickets.  Even if you're a resident of FL, South Carolina will let you walk in and say you don't want to be identified, and they will abide by your wishes.

But if you buy your tickets in FL, they will identify your name and state and city of residence.  Even if you live in an anon state like South Carolina, if you buy the winning ticket in FL you abide by their rules and you cannot stay anon.  Unless you can finagle some trust or something to where even the lottery doesn't know who you are.  But that's not what you're asking.

NJ
                United States
                Member #165922
                April 27, 2015
                3306 Posts
                Posted: May 12, 2016, 10:51 am - IP Logged

The anonymity rules that apply are the ones applicable in the state in which you purchase your winning ticket.

You can stay anonymous by driving up to South Carolina to buy your tickets.  Even if you're a resident of FL, South Carolina will let you walk in and say you don't want to be identified, and they will abide by your wishes.

But if you buy your tickets in FL, they will identify your name and state and city of residence.  Even if you live in an anon state like South Carolina, if you buy the winning ticket in FL you abide by their rules and you cannot stay anon.  Unless you can finagle some trust or something to where even the lottery doesn't know who you are.  But that's not what you're asking.

Correct. Lotto winnings and Florida can be a deadly mix.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                  Member #4877
                  May 30, 2004
                  5113 Posts
                  Posted: May 12, 2016, 10:58 am - IP Logged

HLK:

Your answer is the "Most $inceable"  and economical won $$$ as well !!! IT would be much better to take the time to buy in a state with identity protection.  Even a large jackpot can be "eaten" up with taxes and lawyer fees it you go with a trust or other CYA methods. LUCK to LP members.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #17843
                    June 28, 2005
                    49618 Posts
                    Posted: May 12, 2016, 12:23 pm - IP Logged

You guys won't win with those attitudes! LOL

Ditto...

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
                      Brooklyn, NY
                      United States
                      Member #169723
                      October 29, 2015
                      877 Posts
                      Posted: May 12, 2016, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

If you want a Legal Opinion: Ask an Attorney!

I'm not an Attorney...I just play one on Lottery Post!

I'll give you my 2 cents and charge you 20% for it! Argue

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

Bondi Junction
                        Australia
                        Member #57242
                        December 24, 2007
                        1102 Posts
                        Posted: May 12, 2016, 10:58 pm - IP Logged

If you play the UK Lottery, you have the right to remain anonymous. US state lotteries should follow the British example!

One of the world’s leading lottery operators, Camelot sets global standards when it comes to looking after winners. It offers an unparalleled level of professional support to help and advise new winners throughout this life-changing experience, as well as a unique aftercare service.

As well as being a time of extreme excitement and happiness, suddenly winning a substantial sum of money can be an overwhelming and emotional experience for many people – but support from Camelot begins as soon as a winner makes a claim on a prize.

For UK National Lottery prizes over £50,000, our player services team is able to pay them in the comfort of their own home, or alternatively they can choose to have their prize validated at one of our prize payout centres.

For winners over £500,000, a private banking representative can visit them at home to discuss additional services on offer to winners with new-found wealth. We also arrange for a panel of independent legal and financial experts to visit winners of over £500,000 to offer impartial advice and practical guidelines.

One of the most important decisions for new winners to make is whether to opt to go public or remain anonymous. If a winner decides to talk publicly about their win, Camelot’s PR team will organise a press conference and handle all media interest on their behalf, removing the anxiety that can accompany talking about a big win.

If they have requested to remain anonymous, Camelot takes its obligations and duty of care to protect winners’ privacy very seriously. Unless a winner agrees to take full publicity and signs an agreement to that effect, no information about them can be released by Camelot into the public domain.

We have a dedicated team of winners’ advisers who look after all our major jackpot winners. They remain a source of support and advice for as long as a winner needs – often remaining in touch years after hitting the jackpot.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

amber123's avatar - OpIFNim

United States
                          Member #164727
                          March 12, 2015
                          2503 Posts
                          Posted: May 12, 2016, 11:34 pm - IP Logged

I was unanimous once, does that count?..Big Grin

Funtimz's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
                            Member #165244
                            March 30, 2015
                            227 Posts
                            Posted: May 13, 2016, 7:15 am - IP Logged

...Roadtrip...

Take Risks: If you win, you'll be happy.  If you lose, you will be wiser...

NJ
                              United States
                              Member #165922
                              April 27, 2015
                              3306 Posts
                              Posted: May 14, 2016, 12:58 am - IP Logged

Ditto...

And what r u gonna do add Wheeler's +22 to PB MM numbers to win the jackpot like u do with P3 & P4? Dream on.