Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Can I become anonymous?

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 6 months ago by James78.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Arizona
United States
Member #165073
March 24, 2015
220 Posts
Posted: May 15, 2016, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

Lets say I'm a FL resident and won the PB.  If I decided to move to a state where winners can become anonymous, could I then just wait to become a resident of that state and then claim my winnings anonymously?

Not if you buy your tickets in FL. You have to redeem the ticket in the same state where you bought it, and anonymity is determined by the laws of that state. If you want to be anonymous, you'll have to buy your tickets in a state that allows it.

Portland, OR
    United States
    Member #145973
    August 20, 2013
    226 Posts
    Posted: May 19, 2016, 6:30 pm - IP Logged
    • Move to a no state tax state immediately (next day).  Choose a city with large population.
    • Quickly obtain residency in the new state by getting an apartment and then transferring the new driver's license to the new state.  You need a place to live to get/transfer a driver's license and I believe a homeless shelter address qualifies, but I'm not sure.   If you can't get an address, just go to the DMV and get a national id (I think that's what is called) as a homeless person, which you are, in the new state.  You'll lose the old driver's license and receive an id.  Grow a beard, moustache, more hair, or shave your head, look different for the license/id picture.  You have to look totally different.
    • Change your name to John Smith, Jose Gonzales or some popular name immediately (some states could take up to 2 months.  Research this first)
    • AS SOON as you receive your new name, update your social security number and a NEW ID/driver's license in the new state.  Again, don't forget about the new look.
    • As soon as you receive the social security card and have everything straightened out, which I'm sure will include info. at the IRS, go claim your money in your old state under your new name.  The closest to the deadline the better.  Wear a wig, a mask (done before), look unrecognizable for the press, if required or for the ambushing reporters.
    • Claim under a trust with some Russian or Chinese trust name.  It won't protect your John Smith name in some states though but who cares.  Let the reporters have fun on a wild turkey chase when they find thousands of John Smiths in their search.
    • Hopefully you will not be found out, but any reporter with time to waste can find you out.  You are making it a little difficult for them to find you out.  By the time you claim, a lot of time would have passed and hopefully the reporters would have lost the interest.  Your only enemy then will be those reporters doing "Where are they now?" shows years later but then you can deny everything. :-)

I'm sure I missed a step(s) above to remain anonymous and I'm sure some steps are full of holes.  An attorney can draw you a better plan of action.  It has to be quick.  You have 6 months to claim in most states.

"Understand... people are more complicated than the masks they wear in society... everyone is playing to win, and some people will use moral justifications to advance their side"

Robert Greene

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10356 Posts
      Posted: May 19, 2016, 7:55 pm - IP Logged

^

The difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion?

About 10 to 15 years.

No No

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
        Happy California
        United States
        Member #157856
        August 2, 2014
        1522 Posts
        Posted: May 19, 2016, 11:12 pm - IP Logged

There are ways of disappearing in our Society. While staying quite alive. These secrets may cost you $$ to find out about them.

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10356 Posts
          Posted: May 19, 2016, 11:22 pm - IP Logged

music*,

Eden Press has quite a bit of info on that but it would take a lot of moxie.

I don't think any of it would work after hitting a jackpot.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

eddessaknight's avatar - nw paladin.jpg
            LAS VEGAS
            United States
            Member #47729
            November 22, 2006
            4508 Posts
            Posted: May 20, 2016, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

^

The difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion?

About 10 to 15 years.

No No

Hi Coin, I like that

Can't make that large kind of money and not owing up to it....

GOING ON THE RUN???

Better to pay the man the two dollars & get on with your money &  merry way VS having to be always L@@KING over the shoulder to see if then revenuer is gaining Wink

Edderssa_Knightw/Light Sun Smiley

United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10356 Posts
              Posted: May 21, 2016, 8:03 pm - IP Logged

edessaknight,

That was the standard answer from the old time bosses when the IRS came down on the dealers in the 1980s.

They had a so called amnesty program, sign up for it and you won't get audited, don't sign up and you will. What actually happened was they audited everyone who didn't sign up by a certain date, and then they audited everybody who did sign up.

Bang Head

Things like that make some of the 'beat the tax man' threads quite entertaining.

Lep

eddessaknight's avatar - nw paladin.jpg
                LAS VEGAS
                United States
                Member #47729
                November 22, 2006
                4508 Posts
                Posted: May 28, 2016, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

Hey Coin, et al-

An a excellent story that realistically demonstrates the revenuer's integrity- a lesson not to be forgotten for anyone having to deal with the dreaded IRS - it's not a FAIR GAME is it?  Unhappy

Reminds me of "Zugzwang", a German-derived word used in chess and other games. It refers to a predicament in which a player cannot possibly make a good move. Every available option will weaken his or her position.

Stay well

Fortes Fortuna & Harmonia Juvat

Eddessa_Knight w/Light Sun Smiley

United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10356 Posts
                  Posted: May 28, 2016, 9:05 pm - IP Logged

Zugzwang indeed, eddessaknight.

There was a book published in the mid 1980s called The April Game by a former IRS agent who called himself Diogenes.

Quite an expose on the whole thing.

Lep

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                    Texas Panhandle
                    United States
                    Member #136843
                    December 20, 2012
                    1285 Posts
                    Posted: May 28, 2016, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

Can I become anonymous?

Well, sure;  cultivate a disdain for Internet censorship and control, develop some serious hacking skills and get the mask.

photo anonymous_zpsml5lecf1.jpg

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7325 Posts
                      Posted: May 28, 2016, 11:11 pm - IP Logged
                      • Move to a no state tax state immediately (next day).  Choose a city with large population.
                      • Quickly obtain residency in the new state by getting an apartment and then transferring the new driver's license to the new state.  You need a place to live to get/transfer a driver's license and I believe a homeless shelter address qualifies, but I'm not sure.   If you can't get an address, just go to the DMV and get a national id (I think that's what is called) as a homeless person, which you are, in the new state.  You'll lose the old driver's license and receive an id.  Grow a beard, moustache, more hair, or shave your head, look different for the license/id picture.  You have to look totally different.
                      • Change your name to John Smith, Jose Gonzales or some popular name immediately (some states could take up to 2 months.  Research this first)
                      • AS SOON as you receive your new name, update your social security number and a NEW ID/driver's license in the new state.  Again, don't forget about the new look.
                      • As soon as you receive the social security card and have everything straightened out, which I'm sure will include info. at the IRS, go claim your money in your old state under your new name.  The closest to the deadline the better.  Wear a wig, a mask (done before), look unrecognizable for the press, if required or for the ambushing reporters.
                      • Claim under a trust with some Russian or Chinese trust name.  It won't protect your John Smith name in some states though but who cares.  Let the reporters have fun on a wild turkey chase when they find thousands of John Smiths in their search.
                      • Hopefully you will not be found out, but any reporter with time to waste can find you out.  You are making it a little difficult for them to find you out.  By the time you claim, a lot of time would have passed and hopefully the reporters would have lost the interest.  Your only enemy then will be those reporters doing "Where are they now?" shows years later but then you can deny everything. :-)

I'm sure I missed a step(s) above to remain anonymous and I'm sure some steps are full of holes.  An attorney can draw you a better plan of action.  It has to be quick.  You have 6 months to claim in most states.

"Quickly obtain residency in the new state by getting an apartment and then transferring the new driver's license to the new state.  You need a place to live to get/transfer a driver's license and I believe a homeless shelter address qualifies, but I'm not sure. "

It doesn't matter where you live because if buy the ticket in a state with a state income tax, they will deduct their state tax percentage. If you live in a state with state income tax and buy your jackpot winning ticket in a non tax state, your state will want their share.

Are planning in changing your SS number too?

LA Ca.
                        United States
                        Member #172750
                        February 3, 2016
                        89 Posts
                        Posted: May 29, 2016, 12:20 am - IP Logged

"Quickly obtain residency in the new state by getting an apartment and then transferring the new driver's license to the new state.  You need a place to live to get/transfer a driver's license and I believe a homeless shelter address qualifies, but I'm not sure. "

It doesn't matter where you live because if buy the ticket in a state with a state income tax, they will deduct their state tax percentage. If you live in a state with state income tax and buy your jackpot winning ticket in a non tax state, your state will want their share.

Are planning in changing your SS number too?

It might workout  ok. Lots of Californians retire to Nevada to take advantage of the "no state income tax" & California doesn't try to gyp them on income tax even though the $$ was earned in Ca.

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
                          Brooklyn, NY
                          United States
                          Member #169723
                          October 29, 2015
                          879 Posts
                          Posted: May 29, 2016, 8:41 am - IP Logged

If you play the UK Lottery, you have the right to remain anonymous. US state lotteries should follow the British example!

One of the world’s leading lottery operators, Camelot sets global standards when it comes to looking after winners. It offers an unparalleled level of professional support to help and advise new winners throughout this life-changing experience, as well as a unique aftercare service.

As well as being a time of extreme excitement and happiness, suddenly winning a substantial sum of money can be an overwhelming and emotional experience for many people – but support from Camelot begins as soon as a winner makes a claim on a prize.

For UK National Lottery prizes over £50,000, our player services team is able to pay them in the comfort of their own home, or alternatively they can choose to have their prize validated at one of our prize payout centres.

For winners over £500,000, a private banking representative can visit them at home to discuss additional services on offer to winners with new-found wealth. We also arrange for a panel of independent legal and financial experts to visit winners of over £500,000 to offer impartial advice and practical guidelines.

One of the most important decisions for new winners to make is whether to opt to go public or remain anonymous. If a winner decides to talk publicly about their win, Camelot’s PR team will organise a press conference and handle all media interest on their behalf, removing the anxiety that can accompany talking about a big win.

If they have requested to remain anonymous, Camelot takes its obligations and duty of care to protect winners’ privacy very seriously. Unless a winner agrees to take full publicity and signs an agreement to that effect, no information about them can be released by Camelot into the public domain.

We have a dedicated team of winners’ advisers who look after all our major jackpot winners. They remain a source of support and advice for as long as a winner needs – often remaining in touch years after hitting the jackpot.

I Agree!

One would think that after all the problems that winners face after being outed as a "BIG WINNER" that the lotteries in the U.S. would look to protect the winners like Camelot does in the U.K.

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7325 Posts
                            Posted: May 29, 2016, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

It might workout  ok. Lots of Californians retire to Nevada to take advantage of the "no state income tax" & California doesn't try to gyp them on income tax even though the $$ was earned in Ca.

If there is a state tax, the state where the ticket is sold deducts it from the winnings. There is no California state so there is no state tax deduction, but if a Oregon resident wins in California, the will pay up to 8% when the file their Oregon income tax. If a Nevada resident wins in California, there is no state tax.

California
                              United States
                              Member #173431
                              March 2, 2016
                              37 Posts
                              Posted: June 25, 2016, 7:55 pm - IP Logged

I just read through the 2016 version of the California Lottery Winner's Handbook and compared it to the previous version.

They added the following text: "...our regulations do not allow a trust to claim a prize..." and "...a trust cannot claim a Lottery prize."

So I guess that rules out claiming a CA Lottery jackpot using a "trust within a trust"...