Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 1:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

PB or MM Quick Picks vs. Your Own Numbers

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 7 months ago by LottoLucy.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #174586
May 1, 2016
8 Posts
Posted: May 13, 2016, 7:19 am - IP Logged

What are the pros and cons either way of having the machine generate your numbers automatically vs. having your own numbers?

Washington,Michigan
    United States
    Member #11416
    February 13, 2005
    598 Posts
    Posted: May 13, 2016, 7:36 am - IP Logged

I hear more people win with Quick Picks then own numbers. I said do both. You never know your own numbers may hit jackpot. Quick Picks is better. Spend $20 and do both.

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
      Green Bay
      United States
      Member #169391
      October 15, 2015
      1245 Posts
      Posted: May 13, 2016, 9:58 am - IP Logged

I hear more people win with Quick Picks then own numbers. I said do both. You never know your own numbers may hit jackpot. Quick Picks is better. Spend $20 and do both.

Actually more people win with quick picks because more people buy quick picks than run their own numbers.  Its purely a statistical thing.  Personally, I run my own numbers which I change daily according to the lottery chart I devised.  If I hit the jp, I'll post my strategy here.  Big Smile

Never give up.  Banana

South Carolina
        United States
        Member #18322
        July 9, 2005
        1704 Posts
        Posted: May 13, 2016, 10:22 am - IP Logged

What are the pros and cons either way of having the machine generate your numbers automatically vs. having your own numbers?

It depends on the particular lottery game that you are playing.  Generally, it makes more sense to play your own numbers for Pick 3/4, b/c you stand a better chance of winning using a strategy for Pick 3/4Winning Pick 5 is 50% [own numbers] / 50% [Quick Picks].  Jackpot games like PM/MM are usually won most often on Quick Picks.

United States
          Member #169911
          November 6, 2015
          57 Posts
          Posted: May 13, 2016, 4:15 pm - IP Logged

I do have my own set of numbers but most of the time I play quick pick/combination of both.  The winner for the $429 million in New Jersey choose their own numbers.  It's all random so whatever your preference or your gut tells you just do it.

Green Bay
            United States
            Member #169391
            October 15, 2015
            1245 Posts
            Posted: May 13, 2016, 4:37 pm - IP Logged

I do have my own set of numbers but most of the time I play quick pick/combination of both.  The winner for the $429 million in New Jersey choose their own numbers.  It's all random so whatever your preference or your gut tells you just do it.

I'd like to know how they came up with those numbers.

Never give up.  Banana

Kingofearth's avatar - Kinnak
              Upstate NY
              United States
              Member #174656
              May 5, 2016
              760 Posts
              Posted: May 13, 2016, 5:51 pm - IP Logged

I'd like to know how they came up with those numbers.

One of the people in the family had a dream with those numbers.

Green Bay
                United States
                Member #169391
                October 15, 2015
                1245 Posts
                Posted: May 13, 2016, 5:59 pm - IP Logged

One of the people in the family had a dream with those numbers.

Is that true?  How do you know that?

Never give up.  Banana

Upstate NY
                  United States
                  Member #174656
                  May 5, 2016
                  760 Posts
                  Posted: May 13, 2016, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

Is that true?  How do you know that?

Go to the Lottery News forum. It's in the new thread that has their press conference.

LottoLucy's avatar - hereslucy header.jpg

United States
                    Member #131594
                    August 14, 2012
                    171 Posts
                    Posted: May 13, 2016, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

The biggest problem with playing your own numbers (birthday or special numbers) is that there may be that one time you don't play them and those numbers come up. 

On the other hand, if you are playing numbers that are generated by some system you've developed and they are not the same numbers all the time then I don't know that there is much difference at all.

Lotto Lucy

sookie's avatar - nw femalewiz.jpg

United States
                      Member #142686
                      May 17, 2013
                      94 Posts
                      Posted: May 13, 2016, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

I play a mix of my numbers and quick picks.  My numbers i do multidraw so i always have them. Quick picks i get depending on the amount of the draw, for mega tonight i have more quick picks because its high and powerball i only have 1.

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                        Texas
                        United States
                        Member #86154
                        January 30, 2010
                        1649 Posts
                        Posted: May 13, 2016, 8:52 pm - IP Logged

The biggest problem with playing your own numbers (birthday or special numbers) is that there may be that one time you don't play them and those numbers come up. 

On the other hand, if you are playing numbers that are generated by some system you've developed and they are not the same numbers all the time then I don't know that there is much difference at all.

LottoLucy, how right you are!!! Back in 2012, a Virginian lady won TWICE by playing her own faithful numbers in a way she hadn't planned. Once a player assigns specific and sentimental numbers to this game, they are bound to them. Otherwise, if they fail to play, they will be as nervous as all get out when the winning numbers are posted for the draw(s) they skipped. I can't do it to be honest. I'd rather just get some disposable Quick Picks and be done with it. Here's link to that lady in Virginia that almost decided NOT to play:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/04/24/11370933-lucky-mistake-virginia-woman-wins-1-million-lottery-prize-twice-in-one-day?

Right now, I have a fortune cookie prediction which reads, 'Financial Opportunity Lies Ahead." I've had it for two weeks already...

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7314 Posts
                          Posted: May 13, 2016, 10:14 pm - IP Logged

Actually more people win with quick picks because more people buy quick picks than run their own numbers.  Its purely a statistical thing.  Personally, I run my own numbers which I change daily according to the lottery chart I devised.  If I hit the jp, I'll post my strategy here.  Big Smile

I Agree!

In the FAQ section of the PB website the same question was asked and was given a tongue-in-cheek answer. Just a guess, but when the jackpot buying frenzy starts, the percentage of QPs is probably well over 90%

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10351 Posts
                            Posted: May 14, 2016, 12:28 am - IP Logged

destinycreation,

I wonder where you got the 50/50 stats for pick 5.

This is from an archived thread when I was tracking Illinois Little Lotto (5/39 at the time).

2008 was a leap year. so in 366 days jackpots were paid out 146 times or every 2.506 days

Two years combined - 2008 and 2009

731 drawings

303 Jackpots

252 QP  83.16%

178 PS   58.74%

https://www.lotterypost.com/reply-topic.aspx?td=4612339

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Upstate NY
                              United States
                              Member #174656
                              May 5, 2016
                              760 Posts
                              Posted: May 14, 2016, 1:03 am - IP Logged

The biggest advantage for QP and thus disadvantage for Self-Pick(SP) is that people are pretty horrible when picking numbers. When I pick my own numbers I often pick the same numbers for different lines of I'm not careful and I never pick three or more in a row even though they are possible. QP's are any combinations so you don't have that problem. 

The biggest disadvantage for QP is that in order to have the winning QP you need to be at the right store at the right time and buy the ticket at just the right moment for the machine to print the numbers that would win. With a SP, you don't need those extra random hurdles.