Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 5:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Annuity vs Cash Value

Topic closed. 57 replies. Last post 3 months ago by TheMeatman2005.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

If you won a jackpot, which would you take?

Lump sum cash (1 payment) [ 64 ]  [77.11%]
Annuity (30 payment) [ 12 ]  [14.46%]
Undecided at the moment [ 7 ]  [8.43%]
Never going to win so what difference does it make [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 83 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
Brooklyn, NY
United States
Member #169723
October 29, 2015
875 Posts
Posted: July 17, 2016, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

i think pymts.  i'm bad at saving,know nothing about investing. as long as  i had enough to pay off all my bills, and live comfortably.

Even if you opt for the annuity payments, you should still get professional financial advice.

Spend some, save some. 

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
    Happy California
    United States
    Member #157856
    August 2, 2014
    1503 Posts
    Posted: July 17, 2016, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

Whomever is asked for professional advice they will welcome you with open arms and a smile.

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
      Happy California
      United States
      Member #157856
      August 2, 2014
      1503 Posts
      Posted: July 17, 2016, 1:57 pm - IP Logged

i think pymts.  i'm bad at saving,know nothing about investing. as long as  i had enough to pay off all my bills, and live comfortably.

Just be forewarned about those factoring companies like JG Wentworth and others. They will contact you. A phrase you could use is, "NO Action Here". A fellow poster recommended Ed Ugels' book. He was one of those factoring employees and told us what they did to annuity winners. Those companies are not charities.Red Devil

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

Philadelphia, PA
        United States
        Member #162811
        January 13, 2015
        5 Posts
        Posted: July 24, 2016, 1:15 am - IP Logged

Just remember that the payout for the annuity is back-end heavy.  For powerball, you would literally get 50% of the money during the last 10 years of the 30 year payout timeline.  So you would have to deal with 20 years of inflation before you get half of the of your money and another 10 years to get the other half.

Sunglasses's avatar - nicebear
          Zaperlopopotam
          Belgium
          Member #173932
          March 26, 2016
          945 Posts
          Posted: July 25, 2016, 11:39 am - IP Logged

Annuity or cash value, I say take them both!

Thumbs Up

NH
            United States
            Member #83352
            December 5, 2009
            223 Posts
            Posted: July 25, 2016, 5:45 pm - IP Logged

I would take the lump sum and then set up my own Annuity with the lump sum payment...That way you could take whatever you want up front(5-10%) to buy your Estate and everything that goes with that with cash. Then collect a weekly or monthly or yearly check off your Annuity you set up...That way you're locked in to whatever the tax rate is when you collect the lump sum. I can't imagine any situation in America where the tax rates drop. They imop are only going to go up...Take your tax hit now with the lump sum.

Seattle
              United States
              Member #173743
              March 16, 2016
              17 Posts
              Posted: July 25, 2016, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

I think it depends on the terms. Here in Washington we have a $30 ticket where top prize is $2 million paid at $80,000 for 25 years or you can take $750,000 lump sum. Now seriously in that case the best option is the annuity.

But if its $1 million paid at $50,000 for 20 years or $700,000 cash now then you take cash now.

Its depends on the terms, which arent always the same or even close to the same.

I would bet in most cases, the best move is the annuity. Now to mention everything thinks they wont do it but what if you blow it in 5 years ? Then what ? With an annuity paying you for 20 or 25 years that pretty mush has you set for life.  Everyone say well I would never blow the money - but its amazing how many people do.

Brooklyn, NY
                United States
                Member #169723
                October 29, 2015
                875 Posts
                Posted: July 26, 2016, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

I have always said that if you are below 40-45 years old that the annuity is better than taking cash value since it will provide a nice income for the next 29 years.

But, if you are older than 40-45 years old, you would be wiser to take the cash. Depending on how much older than 40-45, you don't know how long you will live and may not live long enough to collect all the payments. Plus, if you die before collecting the last payment, it will leave your heirs responsible for the estate tax. That's 40% of however much the balance of your annuity is worth at the time of your death (in excess of the $5.45 mil estate tax exemption).

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Delaware
                  United States
                  Member #93503
                  July 1, 2010
                  453 Posts
                  Posted: July 26, 2016, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

I'd take the annuity since i'm only 25 but either way this would be a nice problem to have!

maxodds's avatar - max
                    Jupiter, FL
                    United States
                    Member #154501
                    April 18, 2014
                    74 Posts
                    Posted: August 1, 2016, 10:26 am - IP Logged

For the first win I would take the Lump sum, but for subsequent winning I might opt for the annuity.

We could all win the lottery today!

Maryland
                      United States
                      Member #162434
                      January 2, 2015
                      886 Posts
                      Posted: August 2, 2016, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

Just remember that the payout for the annuity is back-end heavy.  For powerball, you would literally get 50% of the money during the last 10 years of the 30 year payout timeline.  So you would have to deal with 20 years of inflation before you get half of the of your money and another 10 years to get the other half.

What are you talking about??? If the payments are the same how is it BACK-END heavy?

Are you trying to factor inflation in?  That will depend on what you do with the lump sum money to compare to the annuity.

Maryland
                        United States
                        Member #162434
                        January 2, 2015
                        886 Posts
                        Posted: August 2, 2016, 4:19 pm - IP Logged

What are you talking about??? If the payments are the same how is it BACK-END heavy?

Are you trying to factor inflation in?  That will depend on what you do with the lump sum money to compare to the annuity.

TIME-OUT!!!!!

I just looked at the Mega Millions annuity payout schedule (30 annual payments) & Powerball also. 

I am 100% incorrect with what I said above!!! 

I was under the understanding it was 30 equal payments.  WOW!! They start with paying 1.5% on the first payment (my rough estimate) and finish with 6.2% of the principle. 

So the biggest issue I can see with the annuity is what happens if the federal government INCREASES the tax rate? It was as high as 50% back in 1986 (30 yrs ago) then quickly dropped to 28% in 1988,  by 1993 was up to 39%.  So if you took the annuity in that 5 year period you saw the rate SHOOT up by 11% in a short time.  But if you took the lump sum in that 5 year period you WON an extra 11% that didn't go to fed taxes.

Brooklyn, NY
                          United States
                          Member #169723
                          October 29, 2015
                          875 Posts
                          Posted: August 2, 2016, 5:01 pm - IP Logged

Taken from: http://www.megamillions.com/difference-between-cash-value-and-annuity

Difference Between Cash Value and Annuity 

If you win a Mega Millions jackpot, you will choose how to be paid: Cash Option or Annual Payout. Prize claim parameters vary from state to state. Contact your Mega Millions lottery for detailed information. 

Annuity option: The Mega Millions annuity is paid out as one immediate payment followed by 29 annual payments. Each payment is 5% bigger than the previous one. We used to pay the jackpot in equal installments, but players expressed concern that the cost of living would be increasing while their payments were not. We changed to payments that increase each year to help protect winners’ lifestyle and purchasing power.

For a typical jackpot of $50 million, the initial payment would be more than $750,000, and future annual payments would grow to almost $3.1 million.

When the jackpot is $100 million, each payment is twice as big. When the jackpot is $25 million, each payment is half as big, etc. 

Cash option: A one-time, lump-sum payment that is equal to the cash in the Mega Millions jackpot prize pool.

The Meatman

aux8b's avatar - home

United States
                            Member #57793
                            January 19, 2008
                            2320 Posts
                            Posted: August 2, 2016, 5:03 pm - IP Logged

Smiley    Check Please      Smiley

wisconsin
                              United States
                              Member #130754
                              July 23, 2012
                              198 Posts
                              Posted: August 2, 2016, 10:23 pm - IP Logged

It depends on how big of a drop-off from jackpot amount to take home after taxes. Say the jackpot was $3 million and after cash option/taxes you take home around a million. I'd be tempted and take the annuity and invest a chunk of it a year into a IRA and use the rest to save up for a house . Work a few years and save some more and retire maybe a decade down the road.