Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 1:41 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Annuity vs Cash Value

Topic closed. 57 replies. Last post 3 months ago by TheMeatman2005.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

If you won a jackpot, which would you take?

Lump sum cash (1 payment) [ 64 ]  [77.11%]
Annuity (30 payment) [ 12 ]  [14.46%]
Undecided at the moment [ 7 ]  [8.43%]
Never going to win so what difference does it make [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 83 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
Brooklyn, NY
United States
Member #169723
October 29, 2015
877 Posts
Posted: July 14, 2016, 9:49 pm - IP Logged

Whit the low interest rates available today, the cash value is approximately 71% of the annuity jackpot amount.

Which would you take if you won a jackpot?

I just noticed my typo...I must have been out of whit when I typed with.

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

Kingofearth's avatar - Kinnak
    Upstate NY
    United States
    Member #174656
    May 5, 2016
    750 Posts
    Posted: July 14, 2016, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

But but but I thought you were a committed leftist?  Eek  I thought you wanted a much higher tax rate for the rich to pay for the poor? No Pity!   So why would you leave?  Roll Eyes  LOL!  I hear Venezuela is nice this time of year.  LOL

I fear no tax rate, but dictators are another story. Trump isn't a dictator, but his uncaring attitude about balance of powers and authoritarian framework are scary precedents that could lead to a dictator rising in the next 20 years. American democracy is very fragile, it's not hard to see it break. I have 5 main countries that I would move to (Canada, Britian, Israel, Australia, or New Zealand). 

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
      Happy California
      United States
      Member #157856
      August 2, 2014
      1506 Posts
      Posted: July 15, 2016, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

I fear no tax rate, but dictators are another story. Trump isn't a dictator, but his uncaring attitude about balance of powers and authoritarian framework are scary precedents that could lead to a dictator rising in the next 20 years. American democracy is very fragile, it's not hard to see it break. I have 5 main countries that I would move to (Canada, Britian, Israel, Australia, or New Zealand). 

British Columbia, Canada is nice year round.  I also agree that taxes will go up here in the U.S.

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

Upstate NY
        United States
        Member #174656
        May 5, 2016
        750 Posts
        Posted: July 15, 2016, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

British Columbia, Canada is nice year round.  I also agree that taxes will go up here in the U.S.

If i win, i really want to move to Portland Oregon. Hipster city with a large population of liberals and leftists and in a safe blue state but not too big so i can enjoy the small town advantages. Never too hot or cold. Portland is my dream city.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
          Mcminnville, Oregon
          United States
          Member #3013
          December 13, 2003
          3046 Posts
          Posted: July 15, 2016, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

I will take the cash and run.-weshar75

US Flag

ressuccess's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg

United States
            Member #93164
            June 23, 2010
            1313 Posts
            Posted: July 16, 2016, 3:22 pm - IP Logged

I rather take the lump sum as my vote because I need to live in another city if I win a jackpot.

I hope that one $2 ticket is the only one that matches all 5 numbers plus the Powerball to win the largest Powerball Jackpot in United States history of over $2 Billion Dollars!

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
              Member #142499
              May 13, 2013
              1182 Posts
              Posted: July 16, 2016, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

I don't care what the person's age or circumstance is, opting for a 30 year backweighted annuity considering America's taxation history and a global financial system which becomes more interconnected and more turbulent by the week, is insanity. 

Anyone winning the CV tonight will end up with a minimum of $100 million. If someone actually thinks that they'd rather have the annuity so in case they make a bad investment they don't lose the $100 million all at once, isn't someone with the financial maturity to handle a jackpot of any size or payment structure. 

Choosing an annuity simply to force yourself to budget makes no sense whatsoever. An annuity doesn't enforce financial discipline, but the false belief that it does is probably the reason so of those who choose the annuity still go bankrupt.

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
                Green Bay
                United States
                Member #169391
                October 15, 2015
                1238 Posts
                Posted: July 16, 2016, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

If i win, i really want to move to Portland Oregon. Hipster city with a large population of liberals and leftists and in a safe blue state but not too big so i can enjoy the small town advantages. Never too hot or cold. Portland is my dream city.

Don't forget to hug a tree while you're there.  Love

Never give up.  Banana

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
                  Member #106923
                  February 27, 2011
                  474 Posts
                  Posted: July 16, 2016, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

I don't care what the person's age or circumstance is, opting for a 30 year backweighted annuity considering America's taxation history and a global financial system which becomes more interconnected and more turbulent by the week, is insanity. 

Anyone winning the CV tonight will end up with a minimum of $100 million. If someone actually thinks that they'd rather have the annuity so in case they make a bad investment they don't lose the $100 million all at once, isn't someone with the financial maturity to handle a jackpot of any size or payment structure. 

Choosing an annuity simply to force yourself to budget makes no sense whatsoever. An annuity doesn't enforce financial discipline, but the false belief that it does is probably the reason so of those who choose the annuity still go bankrupt.

I Agree!

Also, the bond rates are at ridiculously low levels raising the cash value!

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

NY
                    United States
                    Member #23835
                    October 16, 2005
                    3474 Posts
                    Posted: July 16, 2016, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

Also, the bond rates are at ridiculously low levels raising the cash value!

Does that means that if bond rates go even lower the $10 bill in my wallet will turn into a $20?

LA Ca.
                      United States
                      Member #172750
                      February 3, 2016
                      88 Posts
                      Posted: July 17, 2016, 1:25 am - IP Logged

Taxation hell.......

Upstate NY
                        United States
                        Member #174656
                        May 5, 2016
                        750 Posts
                        Posted: July 17, 2016, 1:36 am - IP Logged

Don't forget to hug a tree while you're there.  Love

Nah, I'll plant a lot of them though. Also now is a good time to buy property in Madison before it becomes beach front property next to the expanded Great Lakes. 

Upstate NY
                          United States
                          Member #174656
                          May 5, 2016
                          750 Posts
                          Posted: July 17, 2016, 1:42 am - IP Logged

Taxation hell.......

Your point being? There's a reason no one lives in no tax places like Wyoming and South Dakota. 

United States
                            Member #149820
                            December 9, 2013
                            643 Posts
                            Posted: July 17, 2016, 10:18 am - IP Logged

Lol mine is Miami. I love to buy a nice house near or even on the beach big enough for family to come visit and just be able to travel when I feel like it 

rustysmom's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                              ohio
                              United States
                              Member #706
                              September 14, 2002
                              712 Posts
                              Posted: July 17, 2016, 10:33 am - IP Logged

i think pymts.  i'm bad at saving,know nothing about investing. as long as  i had enough to pay off all my bills, and live comfortably.