Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 3:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How about that mega millions

Topic closed. 75 replies. Last post 4 months ago by TheMeatman2005.

Page 4 of 6
PrintE-mailLink
Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
USA
United States
Member #152799
February 25, 2014
1092 Posts
Posted: July 23, 2016, 4:45 pm - IP Logged

I was wondering that too and kind of hoping that was the case.  If not, I kind of feel sorry for the people who won.  You finally win a big jackpot game like megamillions and you end up with $2.5 million after taxes?  That is a lot of money to be sure but not what people have come to expect.

That is pretty anticlimactic considering just a few weeks ago the MM winner got a jackpot prize worth almost 75 times what each of these winners will receive. The 2nd place prize would have been valued at $4 million with the MP but no one hit that.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10351 Posts
    Posted: July 23, 2016, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

Not just  3 consecutive numbers, but all 5 came out in numerical order.....

With paranoia you'll never dine alone!

Scared

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
      Brooklyn, NY
      United States
      Member #169723
      October 29, 2015
      878 Posts
      Posted: July 23, 2016, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

That is pretty anticlimactic considering just a few weeks ago the MM winner got a jackpot prize worth almost 75 times what each of these winners will receive. The 2nd place prize would have been valued at $4 million with the MP but no one hit that.

I am pretty sure that the person / people that won are very content with hitting for $5 mil and are not saying.....gee, why couldn't we hit when the jackpot was bigger?

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

LottoLucy's avatar - hereslucy header.jpg

United States
        Member #131594
        August 14, 2012
        171 Posts
        Posted: July 23, 2016, 9:09 pm - IP Logged

I am pretty sure that the person / people that won are very content with hitting for $5 mil and are not saying.....gee, why couldn't we hit when the jackpot was bigger?

I don't know.  With the number of people who will only jump in when the jackpot is higher you could get someone who feels a slight twinge.

Lotto Lucy

Brooklyn, NY
          United States
          Member #169723
          October 29, 2015
          878 Posts
          Posted: July 23, 2016, 9:18 pm - IP Logged

Well...the annuity jackpot was $15 mil with cash value at $10 mil

They played knowing it wasn't that high.

Hopefully they won't refuse the check since it wasn't high enough!

No NoROFLP***ed

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
            USA
            United States
            Member #152799
            February 25, 2014
            1092 Posts
            Posted: July 23, 2016, 9:41 pm - IP Logged

I agree that anybody would be extremely pleased if they won $5 million. The winners from GA and VA should net roughly $2.8 million after all tax obligations are met( charitable donations not factored in) depending on their age that should take care of them as long as they adhere to a middle class lifestyle while keeping a job.

With the odds being so astronomical, most folks dream for the generational wealth payout ($100+ million cash) and being in a position to retire if they choose. This alone is why so few will play until the jackpot get much higher.

Romancandle's avatar - moon
              Upacreek
              United States
              Member #136306
              December 8, 2012
              428 Posts
              Posted: July 23, 2016, 10:19 pm - IP Logged

I agree that anybody would be extremely pleased if they won $5 million. The winners from GA and VA should net roughly $2.8 million after all tax obligations are met( charitable donations not factored in) depending on their age that should take care of them as long as they adhere to a middle class lifestyle while keeping a job.

With the odds being so astronomical, most folks dream for the generational wealth payout ($100+ million cash) and being in a position to retire if they choose. This alone is why so few will play until the jackpot get much higher.

Well put I Agree!

-RC

LA Ca.
                United States
                Member #172750
                February 3, 2016
                89 Posts
                Posted: July 24, 2016, 12:51 am - IP Logged

There has been 4 jackpot winners in 5 draws over 16 days (July 8th to July 22nd). It will be interesting to see if the people who only play when it gets up to $250M or so now decide "hey, wait a minute! I better play the lower jackpots".. & it goes on a tear, increasing the prize by more than $5M each draw that isn't won for the next 2 or 3 weeks. It's happened before. The recent big one went  15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 43, but back in January it went 15, 22, 30, 39, 48, 56 in as many drawers & last year there was a 15, 20, 25, 31, 39, 47 climb.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                  Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                  United States
                  Member #112968
                  June 29, 2011
                  3856 Posts
                  Posted: July 24, 2016, 10:46 am - IP Logged

There has been 4 jackpot winners in 5 draws over 16 days (July 8th to July 22nd). It will be interesting to see if the people who only play when it gets up to $250M or so now decide "hey, wait a minute! I better play the lower jackpots".. & it goes on a tear, increasing the prize by more than $5M each draw that isn't won for the next 2 or 3 weeks. It's happened before. The recent big one went  15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 43, but back in January it went 15, 22, 30, 39, 48, 56 in as many drawers & last year there was a 15, 20, 25, 31, 39, 47 climb.

That would be interesting.

However, it would have to happen much more often to get me to play for lower JPs on a regular basis again.

I had at least 1 line for every draw for over 17 years and never won more then $4 and that's w/ the MP

For me it would have to happen so often MUSL would be forced to increase the matrix...which may happen anyway.

I'd rather play CFL and LFL for smaller JPs

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
                    Green Bay
                    United States
                    Member #169391
                    October 15, 2015
                    1245 Posts
                    Posted: July 24, 2016, 10:59 am - IP Logged

There are 15 mega balls.  According to the lottery website the odds of hitting the mega ball are 1:22?  Shouldn't it be 1:15?

Never give up.  Banana

NY
                      United States
                      Member #23835
                      October 16, 2005
                      3474 Posts
                      Posted: July 24, 2016, 11:27 am - IP Logged

The odds of 1 in 21 (not 22) are for hitting only the mega ball.

Brooklyn, NY
                        United States
                        Member #169723
                        October 29, 2015
                        878 Posts
                        Posted: July 24, 2016, 11:56 am - IP Logged

There are 15 mega balls.  According to the lottery website the odds of hitting the mega ball are 1:22?  Shouldn't it be 1:15?

According to this article... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Millions

The current odds of winning or sharing a Mega Millions jackpot 1 in about 258.9 million. The overall odds of winning a prize are 1 in 14.71, including the base $1 prize for a "Mega Ball"-only match.

Prizes and odds:

• 5 numbers plus the Mega Ball (5+1): 1 in 258,890,850
                        • 5 numbers but not the Mega Ball (5+0): 1 in 18,492,204
                        • 4+1: 1 in 739,688
                        • 4+0: 1 in 52,835
                        • 3+1: 1 in 10,720
                        • 3+0: 1 in 766
                        • 2+1: 1 in 473
                        • 1+1: 1 in 56
                        • Mega Ball only: 1 in 21†

†The odds for matching only the Mega Ball, 1 in 21, reflect the possibility of also matching at least one of the white balls. The overall odds of winning any prize in Mega Millions is 1 in 14.7, accounting for all nine prize categories.

The Meatman

Romancandle's avatar - moon
                          Upacreek
                          United States
                          Member #136306
                          December 8, 2012
                          428 Posts
                          Posted: July 24, 2016, 11:56 am - IP Logged

That would be interesting.

However, it would have to happen much more often to get me to play for lower JPs on a regular basis again.

I had at least 1 line for every draw for over 17 years and never won more then $4 and that's w/ the MP

For me it would have to happen so often MUSL would be forced to increase the matrix...which may happen anyway.

I'd rather play CFL and LFL for smaller JPs

Sorry to hear that but at least I'm not alone... Haven't done much better either

-RC

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                            Texas
                            United States
                            Member #55889
                            October 23, 2007
                            5604 Posts
                            Posted: July 24, 2016, 12:53 pm - IP Logged

I'm in MM and PB every draw with one ticket.

I also play All or Nothing often for $4, playing the same numbers twice to win $500,000. That would pay off the mortgage and other debt.

Sometimes, but not very often I'll play the same AoN numbers 5 times trying for $1,250,000. Odds are 1 in 2,704,156. But....the cost is $10.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Brooklyn, NY
                              United States
                              Member #169723
                              October 29, 2015
                              878 Posts
                              Posted: July 24, 2016, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

Sorry to hear that but at least I'm not alone... Haven't done much better either

But no matter how big the odds are and how unlikely to win, you still have to be in it to win it and will never have the slightest chance unless you buy at least that all important ONE ticket.

Like the NYS Lottery says....."Hey, you never know!"

The Meatman