Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 4:50 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Something definitely wrong with this lottery payout..Yikes.

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 4 months ago by Drenick1.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4111 Posts
Posted: August 10, 2016, 1:09 pm - IP Logged

On 8-9-16- A  5/5 Mega Millions winner from San Jose - CA will get paid $104K . That's downright embarrassing,  in fact it's total BS

How about the jumping up and down the night before knowing that you are one of two who got 2nd prize only to find out that you walking away with less money than the fantasy 5 payout on the same evening?

Thoughts anyone?

*  Have a Great Hump Day everyone. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
    South Carolina
    United States
    Member #77167
    July 15, 2009
    556 Posts
    Posted: August 10, 2016, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

Pari mutuel--each winner’s prize would be determined by ticket sales and number of winners. This can cause the overall payout to end up more than the advertised prize in some cases, and lower than the advertised amount in others. In simplest terms, it is a system of gaming in which wagered funds are pooled and then paid, in equal shares.

The Powerball 5+0 winner 08-06 only got $241,411. Shocked

That's CA's rules. 

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.-Rocky Balboa

“Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of going after yours.” – Zig Ziglar

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4111 Posts
      Posted: August 10, 2016, 1:40 pm - IP Logged

Pari mutuel--each winner’s prize would be determined by ticket sales and number of winners. This can cause the overall payout to end up more than the advertised prize in some cases, and lower than the advertised amount in others. In simplest terms, it is a system of gaming in which wagered funds are pooled and then paid, in equal shares.

The Powerball 5+0 winner 08-06 only got $241,411. Shocked

That's CA's rules. 

I totally get that Z-  I guess it's proof that Lottery fatigue has kicked in on the West Coast. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
        South Carolina
        United States
        Member #77167
        July 15, 2009
        556 Posts
        Posted: August 10, 2016, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

Guess they are waiting for bigger jackpots.

Kingofearth's avatar - Kinnak
          Upstate NY
          United States
          Member #174656
          May 5, 2016
          781 Posts
          Posted: August 10, 2016, 2:23 pm - IP Logged

On 8-9-16- A  5/5 Mega Millions winner from San Jose - CA will get paid $104K . That's downright embarrassing,  in fact it's total BS

How about the jumping up and down the night before knowing that you are one of two who got 2nd prize only to find out that you walking away with less money than the fantasy 5 payout on the same evening?

Thoughts anyone?

*  Have a Great Hump Day everyone. 

You're forgetting taxes, the winner will  get paid a little over 75 thousand while the Florida winner will walk away with almost 10 times that amount.

Bay Area - California
            United States
            Member #136477
            December 12, 2012
            4111 Posts
            Posted: August 10, 2016, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

You're forgetting taxes, the winner will  get paid a little over 75 thousand while the Florida winner will walk away with almost 10 times that amount.

No l am not forgetting about the taxes.  I am quoting what the initial payout will be. Thanks for reminding us though. 

south el monte
              United States
              Member #154982
              May 4, 2014
              65 Posts
              Posted: August 10, 2016, 3:44 pm - IP Logged

i hate the pari mutuel cali lotto system . hitting 5 numbers should be a million minimum for the odds in this game. unfortunate scenario for the person in san jose . yeah he still won 75 grand but must be bittersweet either way knowing that someone last week iirc won close to 2 million before taxes for hitting 5 numbers .

Tatototman65's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
                Member #138729
                February 4, 2013
                2875 Posts
                Posted: August 10, 2016, 3:57 pm - IP Logged

If I lived in CA I wouldn't play the lottery for this very reason.

Smile

Want regulated Internet gaming in your state? Got 30 SECONDS to spare?
                MI Residents ONLY (Time is running out; ACT NOW)-
                Click me
                Open to EVERYONE- Click me

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
                  Green Bay
                  United States
                  Member #169391
                  October 15, 2015
                  1249 Posts
                  Posted: August 10, 2016, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

How is this legal?  According to the lottery website, mega millions, hitting 5 numbers are a million dollars.  Is a million a million or not?  If not, then advertise it as such.

Never give up.  Banana

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                    Indiana
                    United States
                    Member #129225
                    June 13, 2012
                    546 Posts
                    Posted: August 10, 2016, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

How is this legal?  According to the lottery website, mega millions, hitting 5 numbers are a million dollars.  Is a million a million or not?  If not, then advertise it as such.

Because California has its own rules and regulations.  So yes it is legal in California to pay out parimutuel.  I believe they are the only state that pays out like this!

Green Bay
                      United States
                      Member #169391
                      October 15, 2015
                      1249 Posts
                      Posted: August 10, 2016, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

Because California has its own rules and regulations.  So yes it is legal in California to pay out parimutuel.  I believe they are the only state that pays out like this!

I still don't understand.  Call me stupid I don't care.  Mega millions is a multi-state game.  All proceeds are accumulated with that particular lottery game fund.  So how does California get to decide the payouts?

Never give up.  Banana

Bay Area - California
                        United States
                        Member #136477
                        December 12, 2012
                        4111 Posts
                        Posted: August 10, 2016, 5:37 pm - IP Logged

I still don't understand.  Call me stupid I don't care.  Mega millions is a multi-state game.  All proceeds are accumulated with that particular lottery game fund.  So how does California get to decide the payouts?

Being a resident of California l am pleased that we at least have a lottery. Its not as liberal especially in that respect. We got MM in the 80's & PB many years later. My beef, particularly with last night's drawings is that the bridesmaids prize for MM was $104K yet our very own Fantasy 5 payout was close to half a million. That's the BS l am trying to come to terms with. How? Something does not add up.

sweetie7398's avatar - flower2
                          South Carolina
                          United States
                          Member #22702
                          September 30, 2005
                          3055 Posts
                          Posted: August 10, 2016, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

Terrible

Life, love, family Love

Green Bay
                            United States
                            Member #169391
                            October 15, 2015
                            1249 Posts
                            Posted: August 10, 2016, 5:51 pm - IP Logged

noise-gate... Have you ever considered moving to another state?  You know... Out of California and somewhere into America?

Never give up.  Banana

grwurston's avatar - 144
                              Let's Go Rangers!!!
                              bel air maryland
                              United States
                              Member #90251
                              April 24, 2010
                              4884 Posts
                              Posted: August 10, 2016, 6:14 pm - IP Logged

California practices pari-mutuel payouts, based on a California Supreme Court ruling from 1996. The California Lottery had planned to implement keno games, but had to change plans after local natives tribes attempted to sue the lottery stating that keno games were house-banked games and not lottery games. At the time, this was illegal in California. To maintain a level playing field, the California Lottery made a pari-mutuel payout format for games that would alter payout sizes for various games.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.