Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What would drive you to conceal your lottery win from your kids?

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 3 months ago by noise-gate.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4104 Posts
Posted: August 30, 2016, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

While picking up my tickets for tonight,  l overheard a conversation between two women where the one said to the other " No way am l telling the kids if l win." I did not hang around any further to hear the who & why but it got me thinking....

What would be some of the reasons for such a drastic move?  Having no kids of my own, l do not have much say in the matter but if l did,  l guess it would have to be something real serious to warrant such action. Perhaps them having a drug addiction habit or worse. Your thoughts?  Continue to have a Great Week People. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
    Member #118609
    November 4, 2011
    931 Posts
    Posted: August 30, 2016, 4:31 pm - IP Logged

First, it is highly doubtful the kids could keep their mouths closed and secondly, the "want" list would start immediately and would hound me to death.

Now that said, my children are adults, one wouldnt tell a soul if I asked him to keep quiet, the other son is questionable.  If I threatened his life and/or told him he wouldnt get a dime I think he would be conscious of it.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
      u$a
      United States
      Member #106665
      February 22, 2011
      19752 Posts
      Posted: August 30, 2016, 4:50 pm - IP Logged

Good question. Winning the Lottery would be such a Blessing for everyone i would never hide anything from someone i loved or cared about. Love

Let it Snow Snowman

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
        Green Bay
        United States
        Member #169391
        October 15, 2015
        1239 Posts
        Posted: August 30, 2016, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

Maybe their kids are moochers?

Never give up.  Banana

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
          u$a
          United States
          Member #106665
          February 22, 2011
          19752 Posts
          Posted: August 30, 2016, 4:59 pm - IP Logged

LOL

Let it Snow Snowman

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
            South Carolina
            United States
            Member #77167
            July 15, 2009
            554 Posts
            Posted: August 30, 2016, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

Maybe her kids are teenagers and aren't included in financial business.

Maybe her kids are grown, lazy folk.

It's her money--not the kids.

I just re-read your post--she could be a single parent looking out for her kids long range.

She can do nice things for them and not tell them the source of the money.

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.-Rocky Balboa

“Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of going after yours.” – Zig Ziglar

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
              Brooklyn, NY
              United States
              Member #169723
              October 29, 2015
              877 Posts
              Posted: August 30, 2016, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

If the kids still lived at home, it would be difficult to hide it from them. But, if they didn't live at home, it would be just as easy to move and change your phone number. Then get a burn phone to contact them with and if you wanted to meet with them, you could do it at a restaurant or mall somewhere away from your home.

Personally, I plan on sharing with my kids, so no hiding the fact I won, when I do win.

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

Drenick1's avatar - villiarna
                USA
                United States
                Member #152799
                February 25, 2014
                1090 Posts
                Posted: August 30, 2016, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

The same vehicles we currently own. We are content with them and see no reason to change.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                  Mcminnville, Oregon
                  United States
                  Member #3013
                  December 13, 2003
                  3047 Posts
                  Posted: August 30, 2016, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

I never got around to having kids myself but my sister has kids four of them ranging from 22 years to 10 years old.  I like to be known as the good uncle so I would buy them nice things but try not to tell them were the money came from.-weshar75

US Flag

LA Ca.
                    United States
                    Member #172750
                    February 3, 2016
                    88 Posts
                    Posted: August 30, 2016, 11:31 pm - IP Logged

I haven't seen or spoken to my kid in about 4 years. She already managed to get herself cut out of her grandparents $800K will & they already spent her college fund touring Europe. Two years ago they wanted to buy her a new car. She couldn't even be bothered to reply to emails about it, so that didn't happen either. She hasn't even graduated HS yet.

MoneyMike$'s avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                      Ny
                      United States
                      Member #167314
                      July 5, 2015
                      1805 Posts
                      Posted: August 30, 2016, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

I haven't seen or spoken to my kid in about 4 years. She already managed to get herself cut out of her grandparents $800K will & they already spent her college fund touring Europe. Two years ago they wanted to buy her a new car. She couldn't even be bothered to reply to emails about it, so that didn't happen either. She hasn't even graduated HS yet.

Man sorry to hear that she sounds like she must be a handful or just doesn't care about family relationships which is just as terrible.. Wish u all the best brother

Creativity..

" What's more likely to happen will happen.. "

Million dollar operation 

Wink

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                        Bay Area - California
                        United States
                        Member #136477
                        December 12, 2012
                        4104 Posts
                        Posted: August 31, 2016, 1:38 am - IP Logged

First, it is highly doubtful the kids could keep their mouths closed and secondly, the "want" list would start immediately and would hound me to death.

Now that said, my children are adults, one wouldnt tell a soul if I asked him to keep quiet, the other son is questionable.  If I threatened his life and/or told him he wouldnt get a dime I think he would be conscious of it.

Sounds like you have a Cain & Abel for sons. Good knowing how to keep them on a tight leash.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Bay Area - California
                          United States
                          Member #136477
                          December 12, 2012
                          4104 Posts
                          Posted: August 31, 2016, 1:41 am - IP Logged

Good question. Winning the Lottery would be such a Blessing for everyone i would never hide anything from someone i loved or cared about. Love

Was it not Tina Turner who sang " What's love got to do with it". If kids disappoint, someone has to pay the price.

Bay Area - California
                            United States
                            Member #136477
                            December 12, 2012
                            4104 Posts
                            Posted: August 31, 2016, 1:42 am - IP Logged

That was my first thought as well GB.

Bay Area - California
                              United States
                              Member #136477
                              December 12, 2012
                              4104 Posts
                              Posted: August 31, 2016, 1:43 am - IP Logged

If the kids still lived at home, it would be difficult to hide it from them. But, if they didn't live at home, it would be just as easy to move and change your phone number. Then get a burn phone to contact them with and if you wanted to meet with them, you could do it at a restaurant or mall somewhere away from your home.

Personally, I plan on sharing with my kids, so no hiding the fact I won, when I do win.

Well said.