Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How do you feel that some states are using computers to draw pick 3 &4?

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 3 months ago by MoneyMike$.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
MoneyMike$'s avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
Ny
United States
Member #167314
July 5, 2015
1807 Posts
Posted: September 12, 2016, 12:58 am - IP Logged

Here's a passage I took from California's website word for word. Do you think a computer makes the game play any different? Why do some states feel they need to control the draw by computer.. instead of a random ballot draw like NY and some other states? 

In the Pick 4 & 3 subsection under FAQ's for What is a Automated Draw machine? Here's the passage:

The Automated Draw Machine is a stand-alone computer, which means it isn't connected to any other computer system. The computer's hard drive cannot be opened without breaking a numbered security seal. Inside the computer, the programs that generate the random numbers are permanently implanted or "burned in" and cannot be altered. You could compare it to trying to alter the information on a compact disk. Tampering with the system in any way is impossible.

The California Lottery has purchased three separate Automated Draw Machines, two are used for the daily draws and the third one is used as an off-site backup in the event of an emergency. Each day before the draw, a manual capsule draw is conducted to determine which draw device will be used - A or B. Another manual capsule draw is conducted to determine which randomization method is used, one being a mathematical algorithm and the other being a Random Number Generator. The numbers selected from either method are unpredictable and selected in an unbiased manner."

What do you guys think? Im sure some things said are protocol for most lotteries but an automated draw just seems a bit fishy and more manipulative then the good old fashion ballot draws. Which one is rigged?

Creativity..

" What's more likely to happen will happen.. "

Million dollar operation 

Wink

Ny
    United States
    Member #167314
    July 5, 2015
    1807 Posts
    Posted: September 12, 2016, 2:05 am - IP Logged

Another exerpt :

"The odds of winning depend on playstyle: The odds for a Straight play are 1 in 10,000; the odds for a Box play are 1 in 417; the odds for a Straight/Box are 1 in 417. Find all winning variations and odds »

Creativity..

Million dollar operation 

Wink

Ny
      United States
      Member #167314
      July 5, 2015
      1807 Posts
      Posted: September 12, 2016, 2:12 am - IP Logged

"A pari-mutuel prize structure means players' winnings can be determined by the numbers they play. For example: Most players frequently play the same popular numbers such as 7777. If 7777 were to be drawn, the prize for that draw would be divided between all of the players who played 7777. On the other hand, if a player were to play less popular numbers and those numbers were drawn, he or she would share the prize amount with fewer winners, winning more money. With this in mind, you might want to try playing less popular numbers as they just might be your ticket to bigger prizes."  Find number frequency »

How does the person writing this for the CA lottery know 7777 is frequently played? enough said.. a lottery players worst nightmare.. I would stay away from "automated computer generated games".. 

Then they still share pari muteul prizes for pick3 & 4 if im understanding this correct? The difference should only be a few dollars I guess... 

How many other states are like this? 

Creativity..

Million dollar operation 

Wink

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        49784 Posts
        Posted: September 12, 2016, 10:37 am - IP Logged

Sign the Petition: https://www.lotterypost.com/petition-true-drawings.aspx

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

South Carolina
          United States
          Member #18322
          July 9, 2005
          1706 Posts
          Posted: September 12, 2016, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

Here's a passage I took from California's website word for word. Do you think a computer makes the game play any different? Why do some states feel they need to control the draw by computer.. instead of a random ballot draw like NY and some other states? 

In the Pick 4 & 3 subsection under FAQ's for What is a Automated Draw machine? Here's the passage:

The Automated Draw Machine is a stand-alone computer, which means it isn't connected to any other computer system. The computer's hard drive cannot be opened without breaking a numbered security seal. Inside the computer, the programs that generate the random numbers are permanently implanted or "burned in" and cannot be altered. You could compare it to trying to alter the information on a compact disk. Tampering with the system in any way is impossible.

The California Lottery has purchased three separate Automated Draw Machines, two are used for the daily draws and the third one is used as an off-site backup in the event of an emergency. Each day before the draw, a manual capsule draw is conducted to determine which draw device will be used - A or B. Another manual capsule draw is conducted to determine which randomization method is used, one being a mathematical algorithm and the other being a Random Number Generator. The numbers selected from either method are unpredictable and selected in an unbiased manner."

What do you guys think? Im sure some things said are protocol for most lotteries but an automated draw just seems a bit fishy and more manipulative then the good old fashion ballot draws. Which one is rigged?

This is interesting ..... " Another manual capsule draw is conducted to determine which randomization method is used, one being a mathematical algorithm and the other being a Random Number Generator. The numbers selected from either method are unpredictable and selected in an unbiased manner."

Supposedly random mathematical algorithms are Not really random, and can be tampered with by an experienced HACKER .

Ny
            United States
            Member #167314
            July 5, 2015
            1807 Posts
            Posted: September 12, 2016, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

This is interesting ..... " Another manual capsule draw is conducted to determine which randomization method is used, one being a mathematical algorithm and the other being a Random Number Generator. The numbers selected from either method are unpredictable and selected in an unbiased manner."

Supposedly random mathematical algorithms are Not really random, and can be tampered with by an experienced HACKER .

I would think so.. and what is the difference between a mathematical algorithm and a "random number generator".. I wonder if Todd uses either one for his quick pick generator or is it another frequency? I would think here on lotterypost is more of a random generator type of thing to generate picks or selection for a draw but who knows.. I found California's explanation to be very interesting and a good reason why I would not want to play in those states under those circumstances.. but i guess if your from a state like that you'd be used to the play type.. idk I find it fishy.. the numbers come out much different in my opinion.. next I am going to check NY's website to see if they even give a statement on their random draw 

Creativity..

Million dollar operation 

Wink

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
              Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4108 Posts
              Posted: September 12, 2016, 11:34 pm - IP Logged

All l know is that Eddie Tipton never made it this far West to ply his trade.

" The computer's hard drive cannot be opened without breaking a numbered security seal. Inside the computer, the programs that generate the random numbers are permanently implanted or "burned in" and cannot be altered. You could compare it to trying to alter the information on a compact disk. Tampering with the system in any way is impossible. 

* Way to go CA.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

LottoAce's avatar - WWI Flying_Ace.gif
                N.C.
                United States
                Member #56005
                October 28, 2007
                832 Posts
                Posted: September 17, 2016, 4:23 am - IP Logged

I've talked to quite a few players about this same subject. most do not trust a computerized system.
                they like a ball machine system, where they can actually see the drawings occur. whats sad is,
                as we like to say here at the post "players can vote with thier money" stop playing the pic3 and pic4
                in California. play scratch offs. shut those jokers down. do this, and they will have no other choice
                but to purchace three brand new ball machines.

"know your limitations, but excede your expectations"

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                  Texas
                  United States
                  Member #86154
                  January 30, 2010
                  1649 Posts
                  Posted: September 17, 2016, 10:45 am - IP Logged

I've talked to quite a few players about this same subject. most do not trust a computerized system.
                  they like a ball machine system, where they can actually see the drawings occur. whats sad is,
                  as we like to say here at the post "players can vote with thier money" stop playing the pic3 and pic4
                  in California. play scratch offs. shut those jokers down. do this, and they will have no other choice
                  but to purchace three brand new ball machines.

Great reply, and I've shared your same sentiments in a topic elsewhere. Any RNG is already predisposed to human programming which means that it's actually 'told' what to do in terms of the next draw in relation to the last draw...pre & post-tests included. Further proof of this is that they must absolutely program the software to not repeat a combination over and over again, partially or whole, or players would catch it and capitalize on it all the way to the bank. In other words, there's a form of prevention programmed into the software that can recognize this which means...it isn't random. You know, the commissions want to claim transparency of the games and complete randomness but, I've never bought that, especially when it comes to pre-programmed software. No No If it's not told what to do, then how in he!! does it know what to do...and what not to do again?No Nod I say protest the RNG's and the bogus pre/post-tests so that players have a 'true' experience of random.Yes Nod

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

aux8b's avatar - home

United States
                    Member #57793
                    January 19, 2008
                    2334 Posts
                    Posted: September 17, 2016, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

Group Hug     No Nod

Tatototman65's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
                      Member #138729
                      February 4, 2013
                      2872 Posts
                      Posted: September 17, 2016, 12:30 pm - IP Logged

I vote with my wallet by not spending any money when it comes to computerized drawings.

Smile

Want regulated Internet gaming in your state? Got 30 SECONDS to spare?
                      MI Residents ONLY (Time is running out; ACT NOW)-
                      Click me
                      Open to EVERYONE- Click me

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
                        Northern Virginia
                        United States
                        Member #83350
                        December 5, 2009
                        1317 Posts
                        Posted: September 17, 2016, 2:59 pm - IP Logged

I would be against them completely, but the only state to draw my birthday on Christmas Day, the only state to draw my birthday on Good Friday, and the only state to draw my year of birth on New Year's Day both use random number generators. (My year of birth has not yet won on Christmas Day, and my birthday has not yet won on New Year's Day.)

Now that these things have happened, we should get rid of computerized systems. Balls are much more fun to watch.

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
                          Green Bay
                          United States
                          Member #169391
                          October 15, 2015
                          1246 Posts
                          Posted: September 18, 2016, 3:00 pm - IP Logged

True random are raindrops hitting a sidewalk.  Every computer program has a flaw.  Find it.

Never give up.  Banana

California
                            United States
                            Member #173431
                            March 2, 2016
                            37 Posts
                            Posted: September 18, 2016, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

It's funny that the California Lottery mentioned "opening" a hard drive. One doesn't open a hard drive unless there is something seriously wrong with it and data recovery needs to be attempted--or if one wants to break the hard drive. I would worry more about someone opening the computer and swapping the hard drive...

According the Draw Procedures page on the CA Lottery website: "The decision to switch from manual draw machines and balls to automated draws was made because of the increase of daily games offered to players and the need for a faster, more efficient and maintenance-free method of drawing winning numbers." So that's the official reason why the CA Lottery switched to computerized draws for all of their games except SuperLotto Plus... yeah right...Roll Eyes

MzDuffleBaglady's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg

United States
                              Member #81314
                              October 16, 2009
                              18997 Posts
                              Posted: September 18, 2016, 9:03 pm - IP Logged