Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why it is important to remain anonymous...

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 2 months ago by EdG1955.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
484 Posts
Posted: September 18, 2016, 4:06 pm - IP Logged

I know many of you have read my messages on Lottery Post over the years.  I have always stated how much I would want to remain anonymous.  I believe that I have been a member of Lottery Post since 2002.  I have read stories of lottery winners for years.  Many lottery winners end up broke in 5 years.  I read the stories of Jack Whittaker, David Lee Edwards, William "Bud" Post, Marie Holmes, Cynthia Stafford, and other jackpot winners.  I realized that they all have one thing in common.  They went public and held new conferences on television after they claimed the jackpot prize.   After thinking about the lottery stories that I read and all the play slips that I filled out in all the times that I ever played the lottery, I realized two very important things:

1.  The lottery drawings are completely random.

I pondered the play strategies and statistical odds regarding the Powerball and Mega Millions lottery drawings.  I only played the lottery on two drawings this year.  I played in January when the Powerball jackpots were $900 Million and $1.5 Billion.  I only won $4 on a quick pick this year.  I usually don't even play the lottery these days, but I played those jackpots because they were historical record-setting jackpots.  I used to play the lottery many times during the years 2002-2009.  I was focused on buying lottery tickets and trying to win the lottery.  I read most stories about lottery winners during those 7 years.  The closest that I ever was to winning a jackpot was on January 15, 2003 when I matched 3 white balls and the red Powerball to win $100.  That ticket was actually a quick pick.

I read on the Powerball Frequently Asked Questions page a long time ago, before the MUSL Powerball website was revamped with their new graphics and new features.  The lottery mentioned that before drawings, they do trial drawings using different ball sets.  I think they also mentioned that they sometimes take a ball out and put another ball in to replace it.  I vividly remember that MUSL mentioned on the FAQ page in the early 2000s that they do everything a human being can possibly do to ensure that the game is totally random.  My point is that all these gimmick strategies that we do to try to beat this game are no better than going to the gas station and buying a quick pick.  If I played as often as most lottery players, I would either keep buying quick picks or keep playing the same numbers over a long period of time.

2.  The most important strategy regarding the lottery is what to do IF you win.

For years, I daydreamed about what life would be like if I ever won any jackpot.  I thought about how family members, relatives, and friends would react if I ever won.  I honestly think that if you had problems before you won a jackpot, you will have problems after you win.  One lottery winner said in an interview that if you were not happy before you won, you will not be happy after you won.  If you are anonymous, no one can fight you over the money, because no one other than your lawyer or financial professional would know about it anyway.  The New Hampshire lottery winners who formed a trust to remain anonymous last week will fare much better than any of the jackpot winners from the $1.5 Billion Powerball drawing in January.  The reason why I believe this is because no one can fight the New Hampshire lottery winners over their money if most people don't know they have the money.  By remaining anonymous, they eliminated a majority of potential problems.  It doesn't matter what strategy you use to win, because if you blow through the money in a few years, you will end up suffering the same fate as previous lottery winners who failed.

These two reasons are why I would rather wait until I enter a state where I can remain anonymous, before buying a large number of tickets.  It would better to form a trust to claim the prize, so that only the name of the trust will show up on the lottery websites and on the news.  By doing that, one can remain anonymous.   If you want to help family members or friends, set up a will so that after you die, they can receive whatever amount of money you want to send them.  Remember that the most important strategy is ensuring that you don't go broke like many previous lottery winners.  Learn from their mistakes and remain anonymous.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

United States
    Member #149820
    December 9, 2013
    644 Posts
    Posted: September 18, 2016, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

Lol if I win I don't care who finds out I'm looking forward to my lottery headquarters press conference. My take on it is this...if you didn't know me yesterday you don't know me today. If you didn't have my number and called me on a regular basis don't call me now. If you approach me with your hand out I'm going to tell you to put it back in your own pocket where it belongs. I REFUSE to let anyone steal my joy or my money 

California
      United States
      Member #173431
      March 2, 2016
      37 Posts
      Posted: September 18, 2016, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

I don't think it's necessary to take extremes to be anonymous. Look at all of the professional athletes, movie stars, and other multimillionaires that have their names, faces, and residences plastered all over the news... rarely do other people do "very bad" things to them. They are more likely to go bankrupt on bad investments, drugs, or do self-destructive behavior than other people stalking them or doing bad things to them.

Just use common sense, don't do anything risky or stupid, and enjoy your jackpot. Now I just need to win that jackpot!

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
        Member #567
        August 14, 2002
        484 Posts
        Posted: September 18, 2016, 8:11 pm - IP Logged

I don't think it's necessary to take extremes to be anonymous. Look at all of the professional athletes, movie stars, and other multimillionaires that have their names, faces, and residences plastered all over the news... rarely do other people do "very bad" things to them. They are more likely to go bankrupt on bad investments, drugs, or do self-destructive behavior than other people stalking them or doing bad things to them.

Just use common sense, don't do anything risky or stupid, and enjoy your jackpot. Now I just need to win that jackpot!

Most of those professional athletes have sports agents who can refer them to reputable financial advisors and lawyers.  The movie stars probably have connections with Hollywood agents who can set them up with financial professionals.  Not to mention, those professional athletes and movie stars make millions of dollars annually for several years. So if those athletes or movie stars mess up one year, they have another check coming and move on.  Although, there are some professional athletes who will eventually go broke, most of them will have lots of money after they retire. Most lottery winners just take that one lump sum after they win the jackpot.  It is better for the lottery winner to just remain anonymous, not only because they won't be as likely to end up broke, but also because of safety reasons.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

California
          United States
          Member #173431
          March 2, 2016
          37 Posts
          Posted: September 18, 2016, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

Most of those professional athletes have sports agents who can refer them to reputable financial advisors and lawyers.  The movie stars probably have connections with Hollywood agents who can set them up with financial professionals.  Not to mention, those professional athletes and movie stars make millions of dollars annually for several years. So if those athletes or movie stars mess up one year, they have another check coming and move on.  Although, there are some professional athletes who will eventually go broke, most of them will have lots of money after they retire. Most lottery winners just take that one lump sum after they win the jackpot.  It is better for the lottery winner to just remain anonymous, not only because they won't be as likely to end up broke, but also because of safety reasons.

The examples I gave was address the issues of anonymity, not their ability to obtain financial advice. I'm just saying that many high-profile, visible, and wealthy people can't be anonymous even if they wanted to, but don't seem too bothered by it.

Don't get me wrong--if I win a big jackpot, I would prefer to claim anonymously (but that's not possible in California) and would want as few people to know about it as possible. But I won't be changing my name, wearing disguises, live like a rich recluse, or live my life looking over my shoulder and worry excessively. I would just rather enjoy life than worry excessively about it...

ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
            Member #169277
            October 10, 2015
            630 Posts
            Posted: September 18, 2016, 9:26 pm - IP Logged

I agree that staying anonymous is desirable, but I can't figure out if it's really possible in Illinois. 

I may have to settle for disappearing afterwards, name change, buy house in gated community through a trust or llc.

Tulsa
              United States
              Member #172877
              February 7, 2016
              131 Posts
              Posted: September 18, 2016, 10:54 pm - IP Logged

How are you going to remain "anonymous" to people around you, family members and friends, while suddenly buying a new car and a much better house?  Are you just going to pretend that you have been saving a couple of dollars a month from your 30,000 a year job and you are now ready to improve your life?  What would be the point of even winning if you don't do a few small things to improve your lifestyle?  I am not the type to go out and buy a mansion but you can bet your butt that we would be living in a nicer house, in a better area and have a couple of decently priced new cars.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10353 Posts
                Posted: September 19, 2016, 12:04 am - IP Logged

I agree that staying anonymous is desirable, but I can't figure out if it's really possible in Illinois. 

I may have to settle for disappearing afterwards, name change, buy house in gated community through a trust or llc.

Im 2006 an Illinois female pharmacist won a Mega Millions jackpot and appeared at the press conference in disguise. She told the lottery commission that since she was a pharmacist publicity about her winning a jackpot - if she was recognized- would just trigger a slew of frivolous malpractice suits. 

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/172231

James78,

Do a search here on LP for Abraham Shakespeare and then see how you feel about it being unimportant to remain anonymous (if given the chance).

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
                  Brooklyn, NY
                  United States
                  Member #169723
                  October 29, 2015
                  879 Posts
                  Posted: September 19, 2016, 8:46 am - IP Logged

Although most states do not allow you to remain anonymous, some states do allow the winner to claim in the name of a trust.

Doing this allows the winner to basically remain anonymous.

If (and when) you win, take your time and contact legal and financial counseling.

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

United States
                    Member #149820
                    December 9, 2013
                    644 Posts
                    Posted: September 19, 2016, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

Lol she's a pharmacist!! There's literally a well documented paper trail for what she does. I'd like to see someone try a malpractice suit against her. She could counter sue and clean up nicely 

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                      Member #121745
                      January 16, 2012
                      4792 Posts
                      Posted: September 19, 2016, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

Lol she's a pharmacist!! There's literally a well documented paper trail for what she does. I'd like to see someone try a malpractice suit against her. She could counter sue and clean up nicely 

That does not matter. Her insurance company would likely settle these nuisance lawsuits for less than $50,000. She could not "clean up" unless she showed the suits were brought with reckless regard to the truth. A tough standard to meet. Her insurance company would not pay for a counter suit.

J'aime La France.

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
                        South Carolina
                        United States
                        Member #77167
                        July 15, 2009
                        556 Posts
                        Posted: September 19, 2016, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

How are you going to remain "anonymous" to people around you, family members and friends, while suddenly buying a new car and a much better house?  Are you just going to pretend that you have been saving a couple of dollars a month from your 30,000 a year job and you are now ready to improve your life?  What would be the point of even winning if you don't do a few small things to improve your lifestyle?  I am not the type to go out and buy a mansion but you can bet your butt that we would be living in a nicer house, in a better area and have a couple of decently priced new cars.

I agree.  A lottery win should be a good thing not a dreadful thing.  Why try to win if you are afraid to enjoy it when you do?

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.-Rocky Balboa

“Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of going after yours.” – Zig Ziglar

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                          Bay Area - California
                          United States
                          Member #136477
                          December 12, 2012
                          4108 Posts
                          Posted: September 20, 2016, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

Remaining anonymous has greater benefits: You need not fear that undesirables will target you or your family. You could possibly avoid mayhem or murder. You also have the right to choose which charities you wish to support without having questionable ones beating down your door or strong arming you to fork it over.. .so to speak.

As always : an opinion. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3474 Posts
                            Posted: September 22, 2016, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

"I realized that they all have one thing in common."

The people you actually named all have another thing in common. They were all their own worst enemies.

"Look at all of the professional athletes, movie stars, and other multimillionaires ..."

Unlike lottery winners those people don't always become rich overnight, though that is becoming more common for previously unsigned athletes. That and the good chance that they're getting good advice usually makes it easier to deal with the problems that can come from having a lot of money.  It also helps that other people are more likely to think they earned the money. Lottery winners didn't do anything special to get rich. They just got really lucky, and a lot of people think that makes them less entitled to be picky about who they share it with.

"How are you going to remain "anonymous" to people around you"

That's the important thing. One thing that's absolutely certain from the stories we've seen is that the only person who poses a bigger risk to a lottery winner than their relatives is themselves. Even if your face is plastered all over the news extremely few people will recognize you a week or a month later, and it's easy for most people to keep yourself from becoming a target to strangers. It's extremely difficult to prevent friends and family from knowing that your ability to spend money has become far better than it used to be.

Mauritius
                              Member #177527
                              October 4, 2016
                              1 Posts
                              Posted: October 4, 2016, 7:04 am - IP Logged

I am a big fan of the powerball and megamilion lotteries and I love playing online since these lotteries are not available in my country. I have won only small prizes in the past but the day I win the jackpot I would prefer to remain anonymous to avoid unnecessary problems. Of course, my family, friends and lawyers would know but unknown to the world since I’ve read news on lottery winners would’ve gone broke few years later after big win due to bad planning. I would not like my private life to become news and you never know the consequences that may occur if you reveal your identity. However, in some states winners are not allowed to remain anonymous but I guess they can collect their money in the name of a trust or organisation. I will deal with my lottery agent which is Lottery.club not to reveal my identity if hopefully I win someday hahaha...fingers-crossed

Well, we all want money under any cost, but after you win it’s your turn if you wish to remain anonymous or reveal your identity. However, in whichever case, the only advice I can give lottery players like me is to enjoy your jackpot at the fullest. Goodluck everyone.