Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:44 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why it is important to remain anonymous...

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 2 months ago by EdG1955.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Funtimz's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

United States
Member #165244
March 30, 2015
227 Posts
Posted: October 4, 2016, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

Important but not always possible.

Take Risks: If you win, you'll be happy.  If you lose, you will be wiser...

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
    Green Bay
    United States
    Member #169391
    October 15, 2015
    1238 Posts
    Posted: October 4, 2016, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

Worry about winning first.  Personally, I wouldn't care if people knew I won.  I know how to say no.  LOL

Never give up.  Banana

Marana AZ
      United States
      Member #145341
      August 3, 2013
      176 Posts
      Posted: October 5, 2016, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

Trying to remain anonymous by collecting with a trust wouldn't stop a determined person from bribing your lawyer or breaking into his office and stealing your file or kidnapping him and putting a gun to his head.  Would your lawyer give his life to protect your anonymity?

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
        u$a
        United States
        Member #106665
        February 22, 2011
        19740 Posts
        Posted: October 6, 2016, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

Maybe if you Win BIG you can just get someone you know to Claim it for you. Yes Nod

Let it Snow Snowman

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
          Dallas, Texas
          United States
          Member #4549
          May 2, 2004
          1659 Posts
          Posted: October 6, 2016, 9:26 pm - IP Logged

Trying to remain anonymous by collecting with a trust wouldn't stop a determined person from bribing your lawyer or breaking into his office and stealing your file or kidnapping him and putting a gun to his head.  Would your lawyer give his life to protect your anonymity?

Definitely among the top ten DUMBEST criminals on the planet if he kidnaps a lawyer and puts a gun to his head. 

Let's see Kidnapping plus attempted murder, (or murder if he does away with that lawyer).

Now think about this, your lawyer dies and some stranger pops up asking for money. "Hello, Mr. Detective sir. I might have a suspect in the murder of that attorney."

And if he lets the lawyer walk, the lawyer goes to the cops. And maybe comes to you so you can do whatever necessary to protect yourself.

My greatest accomplishment is teaching cats about Vienna Sausage. When I need a friend, all I need do is walk outside, pop open a can, and every little critter in the neighborhood drops by to say "Hi!"

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
            Member #142499
            May 13, 2013
            1182 Posts
            Posted: October 7, 2016, 2:02 am - IP Logged

Look, I'm a big believer in anonymity. There is no credible reason not to have the option of anonymity other than it gives the lotteries a lot of free publicity and exposure. Requiring a winner to get outed is an unnecessary stressor and does cause a lot of preventable issues for winners. 

Even so, I play because I consider the publicity to be a minor tradeoff for the wealth. I play because I really believe I will not make the same asinine, puerile mistakes past winners have made.  I believe that an intelligent person looks at a situation and lives their life within safety parameters of that situation 

For example, maybe not flash around a $4 million ring on social media then send your bodyguard to go guard someone else. The problem isn't the cost of the ring, the problem is the lack of safety parameters for that circumstance. It's the rich person's equivalent of leaving keys in an ignition. 

If you are forced to publicly claim a jackpot, that's your circumstance and you work with it. If you need to hire a security detail, cut certain people out of your inner circle, get a PO Box, de-list your phone number, temporarily deactivate your social media accounts, you do those things and get on with living a happy and debt free life.

As most women will tell you, the fear of being raped is high up there on our fear list, especially if you've been victimized before. But if I'm not afraid enough to start locking on a chastity belt whenever I leave my home, you really shouldn't be this concerned over a publicized win. In the grand scheme of things, it's one of the easiest life altering events that can happen to you. One of the few in which you have so many areas under your sole control.

Marana AZ
              United States
              Member #145341
              August 3, 2013
              176 Posts
              Posted: October 8, 2016, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

Definitely among the top ten DUMBEST criminals on the planet if he kidnaps a lawyer and puts a gun to his head. 

Let's see Kidnapping plus attempted murder, (or murder if he does away with that lawyer).

Now think about this, your lawyer dies and some stranger pops up asking for money. "Hello, Mr. Detective sir. I might have a suspect in the murder of that attorney."

And if he lets the lawyer walk, the lawyer goes to the cops. And maybe comes to you so you can do whatever necessary to protect yourself.

You're assuming that criminals think logically.  Do you remember the winner in Georgia that was killed when 3 guys broke into his house?  Were they thinking he had a mattress stuffed with cash in his bedroom?  How about Abraham Shakespeare, robbed and murdered by his girlfirend?  Jeffrey Dampier, murdered by his sister-in-law?  And while not connected to the lottery, here's a case in England where a lawyer's wife and child were kidnapped over a £5,000 unpaid bill for carpentry work.

Sure, it would be easier to bribe a law clerk to get the address of the lottery winner. But stupid criminals do stupid things every day of the year, so my point is that even using a trust for anonymity is not a perfect solution.