Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Renting a safety deposit box at a bank

19 replies. Last post 4 days ago by NightStalker.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

When would you rent one for your winning ticket?

Always [ 4 ]  [10.00%]
Never [ 14 ]  [35.00%]
Depends on size of jackpot [ 11 ]  [27.50%]
None available [ 1 ]  [2.50%]
To much trouble [ 3 ]  [7.50%]
Cash in the next day [ 7 ]  [17.50%]
Total Valid Votes [ 40 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  

Guests cannot vote  ( Log In | Register )

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
Happy California
United States
Member #157856
August 2, 2014
1522 Posts
Posted: November 8, 2016, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

I have read a lot of different opinions about safeguarding your winning ticket.  From placing it in your Bible to hiding it in a spray painter. And more.

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
    Texas
    United States
    Member #55889
    October 23, 2007
    5615 Posts
    Posted: November 8, 2016, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

If I rent one depends on the jackpot size and how long before I claim it.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

LottoAce's avatar - WWI Flying_Ace.gif
      N.C.
      United States
      Member #56005
      October 28, 2007
      839 Posts
      Posted: November 8, 2016, 9:20 pm - IP Logged

I have discussed this topic before.
      If I was in a lottery pool...yes
      If I won the jackpot by myself....no

"know your limitations, but excede your expectations"

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7322 Posts
        Posted: November 8, 2016, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

I have read a lot of different opinions about safeguarding your winning ticket.  From placing it in your Bible to hiding it in a spray painter. And more.

Sign the back of the ticket and call your lottery headquarters let them know you're holding the winning ticket. I wouldn't suggest putting the ticket in you wallet or pocket and doing your normal thing, but IMO the safest place is validating it. Lots of people talk about all the things they "must" do before validating the ticket, but are they really necessary? Can a tax accountant lower you tax rate before you have the money or can a lawyer change the lottery rules and state laws?

Raven62's avatar - binary
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          49835 Posts
          Posted: November 9, 2016, 12:47 pm - IP Logged

What should I put in my bank safe-deposit box? Items experts recommend storing in a safety-deposit box include birth or marriage certificates, insurance policies, property deeds, rare coins, jewelry, irreplaceable family photos, stock or bond certificates, and foreign currency.

No Lottery Tickets! LOL!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Happy California
            United States
            Member #157856
            August 2, 2014
            1522 Posts
            Posted: November 9, 2016, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

Sign the back of the ticket and call your lottery headquarters let them know you're holding the winning ticket. I wouldn't suggest putting the ticket in you wallet or pocket and doing your normal thing, but IMO the safest place is validating it. Lots of people talk about all the things they "must" do before validating the ticket, but are they really necessary? Can a tax accountant lower you tax rate before you have the money or can a lawyer change the lottery rules and state laws?

I Agree! Stack47,  Contact your lottery headquarters or local office. Compare with them the winning numbers, the 18 digit code, the correct game and date. I also agree with you about the tax accountant but I disagree with you on the lawyer part. I will probably need a Last Will and Testament, various Living Trusts, Asset Protection methods like an LLC or Family Limited Partnership.

I will have to remind myself that I now have millions and can afford all the Professionals I think I need.

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7322 Posts
              Posted: November 9, 2016, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! Stack47,  Contact your lottery headquarters or local office. Compare with them the winning numbers, the 18 digit code, the correct game and date. I also agree with you about the tax accountant but I disagree with you on the lawyer part. I will probably need a Last Will and Testament, various Living Trusts, Asset Protection methods like an LLC or Family Limited Partnership.

I will have to remind myself that I now have millions and can afford all the Professionals I think I need.

"I disagree with you on the lawyer part. I will probably need a Last Will and Testament, various Living Trusts, Asset Protection methods like an LLC or Family Limited Partnership"

It's a good idea to get a lawyer before validating just for your benefit, but other than using a trust to collect the winnings, they can't change the rules and laws. After the ticket is validated and especially after the money is in your bank, a lawyer is a must.

LottoAce's avatar - WWI Flying_Ace.gif
                N.C.
                United States
                Member #56005
                October 28, 2007
                839 Posts
                Posted: November 9, 2016, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

"I disagree with you on the lawyer part. I will probably need a Last Will and Testament, various Living Trusts, Asset Protection methods like an LLC or Family Limited Partnership"

It's a good idea to get a lawyer before validating just for your benefit, but other than using a trust to collect the winnings, they can't change the rules and laws. After the ticket is validated and especially after the money is in your bank, a lawyer is a must.

After the ticket is validated and especially after the money is in your bank, a lawyer is a must.

I Agree!

"know your limitations, but excede your expectations"

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                  u$a
                  United States
                  Member #106665
                  February 22, 2011
                  19911 Posts
                  Posted: November 10, 2016, 2:24 am - IP Logged

I say No Nod

Let it Snow Snowman

aux8b's avatar - home

United States
                    Member #57793
                    January 19, 2008
                    2340 Posts
                    Posted: November 10, 2016, 12:59 pm - IP Logged

No No  No Nod  No.

Unluckyone's avatar - lib

United States
                      Member #176419
                      August 4, 2016
                      114 Posts
                      Posted: November 11, 2016, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

I have never won anything over $7 so the thought of getting a safe deposit box has never crossed my mind. I'll address that concern if I ever win.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                        Happyland
                        United States
                        Member #146344
                        September 1, 2013
                        1129 Posts
                        Posted: November 12, 2016, 11:12 pm - IP Logged

If it was a very large prize I would probably put mine in a safety deposit box.

I have one and the security measures to access it are pretty robust (biometric + code + key).

Keep in mind that deposit boxes are not insured by the bank against loss, though. And you can't just walk into any bank and rent one the same day as your win. I had to make an appointment. Not all branches have vaults nowadays, so for the ones that do you might get put on a waiting list.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                        If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                        P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

Happy California
                          United States
                          Member #157856
                          August 2, 2014
                          1522 Posts
                          Posted: November 13, 2016, 2:39 pm - IP Logged

If it was a very large prize I would probably put mine in a safety deposit box.

I have one and the security measures to access it are pretty robust (biometric + code + key).

Keep in mind that deposit boxes are not insured by the bank against loss, though. And you can't just walk into any bank and rent one the same day as your win. I had to make an appointment. Not all branches have vaults nowadays, so for the ones that do you might get put on a waiting list.

Thank You LottoMetro for telling us about how banks have changed in the 21st Century. 

You are correct that the winning ticket will not be insured against loss.

Lucky4Life's avatar - batman14

United States
                            Member #85037
                            January 7, 2010
                            252 Posts
                            Posted: November 20, 2016, 8:02 am - IP Logged

especially if it was on the weekend i would get a fireproof lock box and put the ticket in that.  I would drive down to claim the prize with the box and they key in my bra!

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                              Texas Panhandle
                              United States
                              Member #136843
                              December 20, 2012
                              1285 Posts
                              Posted: November 22, 2016, 4:36 am - IP Logged

especially if it was on the weekend i would get a fireproof lock box and put the ticket in that.  I would drive down to claim the prize with the box and they key in my bra!

Well, if the key would stay in your bra and considering you'd be super-rich, there'd be no way anyone could accuse you of being flat busted...either literally OR figuratively. Wink