Welcome Guest
You last visited May 27, 2017, 3:54 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Renting a safety deposit box at a bank

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 5 months ago by grwurston.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

When would you rent one for your winning ticket?

Always [ 5 ]  [11.36%]
Never [ 16 ]  [36.36%]
Depends on size of jackpot [ 12 ]  [27.27%]
None available [ 1 ]  [2.27%]
To much trouble [ 3 ]  [6.82%]
Cash in the next day [ 7 ]  [15.91%]
Total Valid Votes [ 44 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
JustJim's avatar - driver
SunPrairie Wisconsin
United States
Member #162093
December 21, 2014
142 Posts
Posted: November 26, 2016, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

I've already got a safe deposit box for some collectibles so it wouldn't be a problem for me to add that winning powerball ticket to my goodies! Smiley

GO BREWERS!!

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
    Green Bay
    United States
    Member #169391
    October 15, 2015
    1378 Posts
    Posted: November 26, 2016, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

especially if it was on the weekend i would get a fireproof lock box and put the ticket in that.  I would drive down to claim the prize with the box and they key in my bra!

I agree.  I have a fireproof lock box in my basement.  I keep all my important papers there.  If I win a lot of money, that's where the ticket is going.

Never give up.  Banana

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
      JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
      Member #141034
      April 2, 2013
      1458 Posts
      Posted: November 27, 2016, 9:30 pm - IP Logged

Just sign the ticket and have it validated as soon as possible{if you have been using LP all this time, you already have your ducks in a row, RIGHT?}. You know they are not going to hand over a gigantic jackpot {PB/MM} win that same day to you. If you live in a BLABBER-MOUTH  STATE that will parade you around like a show dog and blabber your  name all over the world, I say good luck with that.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

music*'s avatar - bee
        Fresno California
        United States
        Member #157856
        August 2, 2014
        1738 Posts
        Posted: November 28, 2016, 5:32 pm - IP Logged

"you already have your ducks in a row, RIGHT?  I would use the time that the ticket is safe to contact an insurance agent to buy "Umbrella Insurance" Excess Liability Coverage, CHUBB, Lloyds of London, USAA, and Dave Ramsey could supply this insurance. A Trust & Estate Attorney. I will need a living trust. Plus help to create Asset Protection.   I will contact a CPA "Certified Public Accountant" and get answers to tax questions.  I will need a CFP "Certified Financial Planner" for his/her help planning my future. 

Here in California, I will have a year to collect on the debt owed to me by the Lottery. 

Shocked

Keep the good times rolling !!!  White Bounce

NightStalker's avatar - 50logo
          East of Columbus, OH
          United States
          Member #120843
          December 28, 2011
          451 Posts
          Posted: December 6, 2016, 3:41 pm - IP Logged

I've had a safety deposit box for about 15 years.  Put the birth certificates, passports, and other legal documents.  They can be very handy.

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

Ga
            United States
            Member #120454
            December 20, 2011
            143 Posts
            Posted: December 11, 2016, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

I'd rather buy a small fireproof safe. It won't be in there long anyways.

grwurston's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
              Winning is great.
              bel air maryland
              United States
              Member #90251
              April 24, 2010
              5605 Posts
              Posted: December 11, 2016, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

The best way to keep the ticket safe is to keep your mouth shut. Don't tell anyone, no family, friends, co-workers etc. Then get your legal and financial affairs in order and have them go with you when you claim the ticket.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                Member #9517
                December 10, 2004
                1322 Posts
                Posted: December 11, 2016, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

I'm a registered player at my lottery company. Any wins are registered automatically and the wins above a set level will be transfered to my bank account the day after the draw.

Winning is great.
                  bel air maryland
                  United States
                  Member #90251
                  April 24, 2010
                  5605 Posts
                  Posted: December 11, 2016, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

"you already have your ducks in a row, RIGHT?  I would use the time that the ticket is safe to contact an insurance agent to buy "Umbrella Insurance" Excess Liability Coverage, CHUBB, Lloyds of London, USAA, and Dave Ramsey could supply this insurance. A Trust & Estate Attorney. I will need a living trust. Plus help to create Asset Protection.   I will contact a CPA "Certified Public Accountant" and get answers to tax questions.  I will need a CFP "Certified Financial Planner" for his/her help planning my future. 

Here in California, I will have a year to collect on the debt owed to me by the Lottery. 

Shocked

Excellent point on the extra insurance. Just in case some unscrupulous person looking for a quick payday, throws them self off your porch, and then sues claiming they "slipped" on some water or sand, or un-shoveled snow.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                    Chasing the Dream.
                    Utopia- California
                    United States
                    Member #136477
                    December 12, 2012
                    4329 Posts
                    Posted: December 17, 2016, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

Music- should l win the CA Superlotto Plus jackpot tonight, l certainly will take under consideration your advice on renting a safety deposit box at a bank.What can l say-  I like good ideas. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                      Chasing the Dream.
                      Utopia- California
                      United States
                      Member #136477
                      December 12, 2012
                      4329 Posts
                      Posted: December 17, 2016, 5:34 pm - IP Logged

The best way to keep the ticket safe is to keep your mouth shut. Don't tell anyone, no family, friends, co-workers etc. Then get your legal and financial affairs in order and have them go with you when you claim the ticket.

Your post reads like this* to me.Don't tell your family or friends but have them* family & friends, co workers go with you to claim your prize. What a guy! 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Winning is great.
                        bel air maryland
                        United States
                        Member #90251
                        April 24, 2010
                        5605 Posts
                        Posted: December 17, 2016, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

Your post reads like this* to me.Don't tell your family or friends but have them* family & friends, co workers go with you to claim your prize. What a guy! 

"Them" is the legal- financial team who would go with you to lottery HQ. Telling the world about your big win, can create all kinds of problems, not always good ones.

"It's tough to handle this fortune and fame
                        Everybody's so different, I haven't changed." 

Joe Walsh,  Life's been good...

Chasing the Dream.
                          Utopia- California
                          United States
                          Member #136477
                          December 12, 2012
                          4329 Posts
                          Posted: December 17, 2016, 11:44 pm - IP Logged

"Them" is the legal- financial team who would go with you to lottery HQ. Telling the world about your big win, can create all kinds of problems, not always good ones.

Thanks for the clarification there G. For a moment l thought your whole idea was keeping the family,  friends & co workers in the dark while you got your finances in order " and then"  wham, G is gonna surprise them by saying" sorry for all the secrecy & not letting you all know, but l would like you all to share in my moment, so come along, off to the lottery office we go."  I know l couldn't top that. 

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
                            Member #118609
                            November 4, 2011
                            1132 Posts
                            Posted: December 18, 2016, 12:05 am - IP Logged

• I dont have a comment on the safety deposit box grwurston but I do on your signature! What a perfect motto for lotto. 

"Everybody's so different, I haven't changed" ............ I would love to think that would be me, but in all honesty, how could a jackpot win NOT change a person?  I know it would me, I just hope it wouldnt be for the worst.

• I love Joe Walsh!  Especially when he played with the Eagles, one of my favorites along with number 1, Fleetwood Mac.
                              Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7482 Posts
                              Posted: December 18, 2016, 12:23 am - IP Logged

Just sign the ticket and have it validated as soon as possible{if you have been using LP all this time, you already have your ducks in a row, RIGHT?}. You know they are not going to hand over a gigantic jackpot {PB/MM} win that same day to you. If you live in a BLABBER-MOUTH  STATE that will parade you around like a show dog and blabber your  name all over the world, I say good luck with that.

"Just sign the ticket and have it validated as soon as possible"

And that's probably what their lawyer will tell them or they might take their brother-in-laws advice and let him hold it.