Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 1:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Scratcher stories

13 replies. Last post 3 hours ago by fish40.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
San Francisco, CA
United States
Member #166249
May 12, 2015
19 Posts
Posted: November 22, 2016, 11:38 am - IP Logged

I would like anyone with an amusing or humorous lotto experience to post it here.

One of mine:

I was purchasing some scratchers from a machine at the 24-hour Safeway in Albany, CA in the evening and they had inconsiderately placed a stack of shopping baskets next to the terminal. I wedged myself in to insert my bill and as I shuffled around to read the dispenser my leg pressed one of the buttons. It was a 100,000 Taxes Paid $5 ticket. I swiped off the coating on the card to reveal a 10X 10.00. How often does that happen?

United States
    Member #167585
    July 21, 2015
    55 Posts
    Posted: November 22, 2016, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

I would like anyone with an amusing or humorous lotto experience to post it here.

One of mine:

I was purchasing some scratchers from a machine at the 24-hour Safeway in Albany, CA in the evening and they had inconsiderately placed a stack of shopping baskets next to the terminal. I wedged myself in to insert my bill and as I shuffled around to read the dispenser my leg pressed one of the buttons. It was a 100,000 Taxes Paid $5 ticket. I swiped off the coating on the card to reveal a 10X 10.00. How often does that happen?

Not very often.  Whenever the clerk pulls the wrong ticket I still accept it, however a lot of times it's a loser.  I play certain numbers on certain games and one day I let the clerk pick everything.  I won on almost every ticket pulled, however I was just winning my money back.

Florida
      United States
      Member #172872
      February 7, 2016
      605 Posts
      Posted: November 22, 2016, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

I think my story Friday evening was kind of funny. Where I live, there isn't a Chase bank for at least a 50 mile radius. After getting off work, I was trying to figure out ways to get a good amount of money because I wanted to buy several books of Super Millions, a $20 ticket. I've been playing that ticket for a while with other people on the FL Lotto thread. This was going to be my "final splurge" as I was getting a "bonus paycheck" from my job that I initially didn't factor. 

Four books costs a whopping $2,400. What did I resort to doing to bypass the ATM limit of $500? I went to Walmart, and kept buying a Snickers/pack of gum and taking $100 cash back. Fast forward 30-45 minutes later when I finally had enough money (and enough candy for the rest of the year). I was annoyed because my debit card had the fraud prevention kick in after 5 transactions, so I had to call to spend 5-10 mins to get it reactivated/approved. I had alot of annoying setbacks on Friday that would have told the average lotto player "Just go to another store nearby, or maybe buying these books isn't meant to be". Before coming up with the snickers cashback plan, I had the brilliant idea of buying 2 money orders for $1k+ each. I stood in line at Walmart for about 20-25 mins and when I was finally helped by the money services desk, I was swiftly told "money orders aren't even active until the following day". If that gives further context, the Snickers cashback solution was the saving plan.  Although, I'm pretty sure I looked like a total weirdo buying through so many snickers to get cashback. The Walmart staff members were really cool about it, and the girls at the self-checkout thought it was a smart idea. I had researched these two particular stores, called a bunch to see all their book numbers, and I was really hopeful. 

I drove to a couple of nearby cities to get those books (Lake City, FL and Anthony, FL).  Probably about 2.5 - 3 hrs of driving when all was said and done. It was 10PM after I got back, and I decided I was determined to scratch through those books. My overall returns looked like (in the order I scratched each book, not ordered by book number)

Book 1 (733829) 

Total return: $101,340/$600

Found a $100k winner on ticket #12, and $1k winner on ticket # 17. Aside from that, the $340 return is what would be an "average" payout aside from the two big winners.  I still found it crazy two big wins would be in a single book. 

I stopped scratching for at least an hour after this book for obvious reasons. 

Book 2 (733850)

Total return:  $935/$600

Found two $100 winners (#9, and #11) and a $500 winner (#21)

Book 3 (725602)

Total return: $335/$600 (Your average book, 1 $100 winner and nothing over that)

Book 4 (734260)

Total return: $335/$600 (Your average book, nothing over $100)

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
        Texas
        United States
        Member #55889
        October 23, 2007
        5592 Posts
        Posted: November 30, 2016, 8:34 am - IP Logged

Your determination definitely paid off. Congrats!

And, yes, I found your story pretty funny, and smart thinking.

You guys in FL are really hard core players!

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

New York, NY
          United States
          Member #140634
          March 23, 2013
          2960 Posts
          Posted: November 30, 2016, 8:41 am - IP Logged

Dracos, first I'm happy that you won. I do have a couple of questions for personal reasons. You called the stores and asked them what the book numbers were? And they told you? How does knowing the book numbers help you in determining which book to play? I'm assuming you're talking about the numbers on the backs of the tickets, but if that's the case, those books are sealed and why would they unseal them or even dig for them if they're in a basement or what not just to read a book number? Just a little confused by the rationale behind that. Or maybe I'm wrong, maybe book number is something else. Anyways, tyia for your reply.

New York, NY
            United States
            Member #140634
            March 23, 2013
            2960 Posts
            Posted: November 30, 2016, 8:45 am - IP Logged

My scratch off stories usually start by me losing $200 bucks and then winning $205 dollars, lol. But unfortunately I'm serious.

new york
              United States
              Member #63828
              August 9, 2008
              175 Posts
              Posted: December 1, 2016, 11:27 pm - IP Logged

I was standing in line to buy lotto tickets and it was quite the line. Think there was a jackpot that night.

Anyway, the lady in the front was buying tickets for what seemed like an eternity. With the enthusiasm of a kid in a candy store she kept asking for seemingly every ticket.

But after a while the line was growing impatient. Finally, after about 15 minutes I couldn't hold it in any more and said rather sarcastically "Save some money for the rent!"

The lady's daughter heard what I said and told her mom, "Mama, did you hear what that man just said?"

The lady did a slow, angry turn in my direction.

I was out of there within seconds. I never did get to purchase tickets. LOL

Cape Coral
                United States
                Member #173988
                March 28, 2016
                216 Posts
                Posted: December 2, 2016, 12:23 am - IP Logged

Dracos, first I'm happy that you won. I do have a couple of questions for personal reasons. You called the stores and asked them what the book numbers were? And they told you? How does knowing the book numbers help you in determining which book to play? I'm assuming you're talking about the numbers on the backs of the tickets, but if that's the case, those books are sealed and why would they unseal them or even dig for them if they're in a basement or what not just to read a book number? Just a little confused by the rationale behind that. Or maybe I'm wrong, maybe book number is something else. Anyways, tyia for your reply.

I can answer these questions for you... 

Florida scratch offs are sealed in clear plastic wrap. Inside is a visable ticket with the game number, game name, denomination, and some other info.. It also shows the serial number of the book.   for example...  Say a game's number is 1234.  On the ticket you will see something like...  1234 - 00038273 

The 38273 means that is the 38,273rd book printed.  Us florida diehards have been able to get enough info from the lottery to narrow down what ticket number range the jackpots should be in..   Say the lottery starts a game with 5 jackpots.  If we find out there are 175,000 books printed for the game, we can determine where the winners will be within a 5-10k book spread.

Theoretically the winners would be printed like this..

Jackpot 1 will be printed between books  5000 and 15000

Jackpot 2 will be printed between 150001 and 25000

etc...etc...

So when the florida lottery reports a jackpot has been won, they will also, upon request, tell you what book number it was won on. Knowing this info greatly increases our chances of finding a jackpot.   Lets say a new game has been out for a month, and the 1st jackpot was won and it was in book number 12,932.  It would then be pointless to play any tickets out of any books numbered below 15,000. And there are probably a TON of them out there. In the beginning of a game this info helps a little, but not drastically...

HOWEVER...

When a game is out for a long time, and most of the ticket have been sold, if there are jackpots remaining, you can GREATLY increase you odds of hitting it. 

This info is what I used in June when I found my 2 million dollar winner. =)   

Also... calling a store ahead of time, some clerks will, and some clerks wont tell you the serial number of the phone. Just depends on who you get. Im not sure if there is a written rule that says they cant, but I have had mixed results when asking.

Cape Coral
                  United States
                  Member #173988
                  March 28, 2016
                  216 Posts
                  Posted: December 2, 2016, 12:26 am - IP Logged

As for the original topic...  Last week I went into a drug store and bought $300 worth of tickets and gave the clerk 3 new $100 bills that I just got from Wells Fargo. Went out to my car and as I was about to pull away, the manager started banging on my window, with my cash, and a bill checker in his hand, running his pen all over the bills with black lines showing.. I got out to see what was wrong and he started yelling that I gave him fake bills....

I found this very hard to believe since I had just gotten them from the bank, along with 37 other $100 bills. I asked him to go back inside and try a different pen.. He did and it checked out fine. As he was using the other checker, I picked up the one he first used that he placed on the counter. I looked at it, and read the label..

Permanent Marker.

Moron. 

He apologized about 82 times.

Largo
                    United States
                    Member #157181
                    July 11, 2014
                    190 Posts
                    Posted: December 2, 2016, 12:35 am - IP Logged

A while back I was on my way home from Shopping it had to be about 10pm and I decided to stop but a store for. 25$ 100x the Cash ticket (FL). There was a sketchy looking guy standing outside so I decided to keep driving and chose a store closer to my house. I bought one ticket, and it ended up being my first 1000$ win!

Skippack, PA
                      United States
                      Member #139391
                      February 21, 2013
                      87 Posts
                      Posted: December 2, 2016, 2:47 pm - IP Logged

As for the original topic...  Last week I went into a drug store and bought $300 worth of tickets and gave the clerk 3 new $100 bills that I just got from Wells Fargo. Went out to my car and as I was about to pull away, the manager started banging on my window, with my cash, and a bill checker in his hand, running his pen all over the bills with black lines showing.. I got out to see what was wrong and he started yelling that I gave him fake bills....

I found this very hard to believe since I had just gotten them from the bank, along with 37 other $100 bills. I asked him to go back inside and try a different pen.. He did and it checked out fine. As he was using the other checker, I picked up the one he first used that he placed on the counter. I looked at it, and read the label..

Permanent Marker.

Moron. 

He apologized about 82 times.

That is hilarious!

Now its time for you to start to

ScratchSmarter

25% off - use CouponCode: LotteryPost25Off 

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
                        Brooklyn, NY
                        United States
                        Member #169723
                        October 29, 2015
                        877 Posts
                        Posted: December 2, 2016, 10:07 pm - IP Logged

Many years ago, I worked in NJ (live in NY) and at the time, the toll was $4.00.

This is before EZ Pass and the best they had was an exact change lane to speed cars along, so I stopped into a store and bought a $1 scratcher with a $5 so I could have the 4 singles.

The ticket was a $100 winner.

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

California
                          United States
                          Member #173360
                          February 28, 2016
                          40 Posts
                          Posted: Today, 6:42 am - IP Logged

A few weeks ago I was in a grocery store in California and I inserted $20 into a lotto machine and pressed the button on the scratcher I wanted. It told me the machine was out of that Scratcher, but it still used up my $20 bucks! I went to the customer service desk to see if I could get a refund but there was a big line of people returning items and whatnot and I was in a hurry so I cut my losses and left.

But, last night, in a different grocery store, I put in $20 again and pressed the button, this time the machine made an error in my favor and dispensed THREE $20 scratchers (They were apparently folded together somehow and got dispensed as a single scratcher).The third of those scratchers won me $100

Florida
                            United States
                            Member #178332
                            November 23, 2016
                            16 Posts
                            Posted: Today, 11:56 am - IP Logged

One morning a few weeks ago I was playing scratchers at one of my usual spots, after many losses in the hundreds I decided to play a $10 card. I noticed that the person in front of me bought a few and they were losers. I scratched the barcode and handed it right to the clerk and a claim form printed, it was a $1,000 winner. The guy walked back in and the clerk had told him what happened. This was just pure luck, but I lost it all and more a few weeks later...