Welcome Guest
You last visited August 3, 2020, 4:34 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why is it that NY, CA and some other states are the premier states have the most winners

7 replies. Last post 18 hours ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
baton rouge
United States
Member #10797
January 26, 2005
97 Posts
Posted: August 1, 2020, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

I have noticed that most grand prize winners come from New York, Califorina,  and some other prominent states have the

the greatest numbers of prize winners, why is it so while other states like NC, La are always lagging.

Can the lottery management respond to it

music*'s avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
    Fresno, California
    United States
    Member #157851
    August 2, 2014
    3912 Posts
    Posted: August 1, 2020, 5:16 pm - IP Logged

Try the Search box. $1.6 billion record Power Ball jackpot won by three in CA, TN, and FL.

Search for the Mega Millions record jackpot. Won in South Carolina.

"We are all in this together!" 

Cassie8620's avatar - oGH0ok
      California
      United States
      Member #180566
      March 13, 2017
      4003 Posts
      Posted: August 1, 2020, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

I have noticed that most grand prize winners come from New York, Califorina,  and some other prominent states have the

the greatest numbers of prize winners, why is it so while other states like NC, La are always lagging.

NC has at times, or s it seem (sometimes)many winner's too, in certain games, but not "regularly like the state or states you're citing."

and yep,

i've noticed since living here, by the folks for five yrs just about.

my home state? smh california, yea... LOLso many. imo it almost feel unreal at times, how many it seem always win in these three states.

I've always query into the most it seem are out of:

-NYC

-CALI

-NJ

maybe another state, but those three i see most, each time, with the bigger games too, must be nice, ya know.Yes Nod

G-luck to all with their lottery games, wherever you're playing at.

Won over 13G's!( Spring 2020 ) + total (2019) 22,000! Time 2 break the bank, baby! $ $ $ Banana

0068 0806 0860 1027 7707 1608 0620 0862 6800 8602 8620 1211 1215 1216 1236 1623 3193 3533 3009 3159 

1031 2143 1061 1038 1263 1350 1358 1448 1530 1569 1570 1589 3412  1112 1411 1711 1216 2446 3422 3522 5593 4773

0764 1061 1476 4374 4761 4762 4764  5925 6023 7077 7411 7460 7664 7678 8150 8779 9512 8999

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30469
        January 17, 2006
        11490 Posts
        Posted: August 1, 2020, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

hsg2000

Powerball;

Top 10 States with the Most Powerball Winners

Powerball first started in 1992 – the year it replaced its precursor, Lotto*America (not to be confused with Lotto America, a game that still exists today).

Over the years, the game added more member states to their ranks, and this has only increased its popularity. Today, it stands to be one of the biggest lotteries out there, and has turned dozens of lucky individuals into instant millionaires.

So where are all those winners from? We'll break that down in the table below.

The states with the most Powerball winners are:

Jackpot WinsState(s)# of Years Operating
        39Indiana27
        31Missouri27
        22Minnesota27
        18Kentucky
        Pennsylvania
        17Louisiana
        Wisconsin
        13Arizona25
        12Florida10
        11Kansas
        New Hampshire
        Washington DC
        10Nebraska
        Delaware
        9Iowa
        New York

It comes as no surprise that majority of the winners are from Indiana, Missouri, and Minnesota. After all, these states have been selling Powerball tickets since the game's early days. Props to New York, though. They made the cut even if they joined in on the fun less than a decade ago.

https://www.lotterycritic.com/lottery-winners/most-lottery-wins-by-state/

Below are the states with the most number of Mega Millions winners:

Jackpot WinsState(s)# of Years Operating
        36New York17
        30California14
        21New Jersey17
        19Ohio17
        17Michigan17
        15Georgia17
        12Texas16
        11Maryland
        Illinois
        9Virginia17
        5Washington17

Interestingly, a man from Georgia named Stephen Cooke experienced a double-win when he bought two winning tickets for the November 11, 2003 Mega Millions draw. That's right – he played the same numbers twice and won the jackpot! For the purposes of this tally, we counted his two wins as one.

https://www.lotterycritic.com/lottery-winners/most-lottery-wins-by-state/#states-with-the-most-mega-millions-wins

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any. So many systems, so many theories, so few jackpot winners. 

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

cottoneyedjoe's avatar - cuonvFT

United States
          Member #197033
          March 28, 2019
          538 Posts
          Posted: August 1, 2020, 10:20 pm - IP Logged

Most don't come from either CA or NY, but many more come from those two states than from, say, Wyoming or South Dakota.

CA and NY have a combined population of about 59 million. The US has a total population of about 331 million. So about 17.8% of all US residents live in either CA or NY. If you assume lottery playing habits are uniform across the country, you can then very roughly estimate that about 17.8% of winners will be from those two states.

... Sooper dooper top seekrit winning numbers: 5 16 17 24 33 52 ...

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
            Mcminnville, Oregon
            United States
            Member #3013
            December 13, 2003
            4694 Posts
            Posted: August 1, 2020, 10:42 pm - IP Logged

New York New jersey and California have the most players because of their population of eligible players but they do not win all the time it just seems like they do.  My state has 5 powerball winners and no mega millions winners but we get million dollar winners in mega millions so it is a matter of time before we break through.  Any ways do not stop playing though because you never know when it is your time to win.-weshar75

US Flag

KY Floyd's avatar - lysol avatar.jpg
              NY
              United States
              Member #23834
              October 16, 2005
              4250 Posts
              Posted: Yesterday, 12:38 am - IP Logged

"you can then very roughly estimate that about 17.8% of winners will be from those two states."

A recent thread in the Jackpot forum listed PB winners by state. I don't know for sure that it's accurate and complete from the beginning of the game (it seems  close enough), but it says that CA and NY account for 5.2% of winners. That's well below17.8%, but neither state offered PB until well after the game started in 1992. NY joined in early 2010, and CA joined in April 2013. AFAIK, PB was always twice a week, so NY  sold tickets for about 37% of the drawings and CA  sold tickets for about 26% of the drawings. If we just call that 1/3 of the drawings and extrapolate it to the entire history of PB then CA and NY would account for about 15.6% of winners.

Of course other states joined at different times and there has never been a period where the entire population lived in a state where they could buy PB tickets, and the per capita sale of tickets probably isn't the same in every state so it's unlikely that CA and NY should really account for 17.8% of sales. Another factor is that sales in CA and NY have been skewed towards higher odds that reduce the number of winners relative to sales; there were typically more winners per year  before CA and NY joined the game.

Short of having actual historical sales figures there's no way we can make a really accurate calculation of the theoretical probability distribution of winners, but based on what we do know there's nothing to suggest that the number of winning tickets sold in NY and CA isn't very close to what we'd expect from purely random probability.

Indiana and Missouri, OTOH, do seem to be much different than what random probability would suggest, with 10.2 and 8.1%  of total winners. Both states have sold the game right from the start, but if Indiana ever sold the 10.2% of tickets that would correspond to the percentage of winning tickets from IN that didn't last long. Current sales in IN account for roughly 2% of the total, according to lottoreport,com and the oldest figures I found (early 2010) were only slightly higher. OTOH, the odds are high enough that every winning ticket is an anomaly, so I don't find it surprising that some states depart significantly from what random probability suggests. If you flip a coin 1000 times the chances of getting 3% more or fewer heads than the expected 50% is pretty small, but the chances of 3% more or fewer winners in a game with odds of 50 to 30 million to 1 are much greater.  Still, if any of you conspiracy nuts want to rail at something that doesn't sound right there are far better candidates than NY and CA.

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32651
                February 14, 2006
                8928 Posts
                Posted: Yesterday, 11:06 am - IP Logged

"I have noticed that most grand prize winners come from New York, Califorina,  and some other prominent states"

It depends on how many "grand prize winners" there are each year and in the last year combined, PB and MM had only about 13 jackpot winners. And with 47 jurisdictions playing PB and MM, only about 1/3 of them could have a jackpot winner. 

"Can the lottery management respond to it"

The last time I looked the drawings are random and a jackpot winning ticket can be bought in any of the 47 jurisdictions. Looks like you expect "lottery management" to rigged the drawings so each jurisdiction gets a turn to win.

Mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again