Welcome Guest
You last visited October 21, 2021, 7:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New Lottery Post feature adds up/down voting on individual forum posts

Topic closed. 61 replies. Last post 1 year ago by Vergie6.

Page 1 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 200.jpg
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
26445 Posts

Today Lottery Post added its latest major feature: Upvoting and downvoting of forum posts.

Each forum post has a new numeric score and up/down arrows right above the content. Every Lottery Post member can express how they feel about any given post by pressing "up" to express a positive opinion, or "down" to express a negative opinion.

"Up" adds one point to a post's score, while "down" subtracts one point from the score. As different members register their opinions, the score will indicate the consensus of the community.

Of course, there is no requirement that any member vote on any post — it's only there in case a member feel strongly either way and wishes to express if the post impacts the community in a positive or negative way.

Any time a reply or new topic is posted, the post automatically registers one upvote from the member who posted it.

Right now the feature simply provides a view into what the community thinks of various posts. In the future we could add additional functionality, such as automatic hiding of extremely negative posts (with option to click a link to view), a listing of the most positive forum posts, etc. I'm certainly open to suggestions.

The feature is available immediately on both desktop and mobile. You will find that forum posts published starting Monday afternoon include the automatic 1 upvote, as that was the point where I first turned on the feature internally.

Today's website update includes some other minor improvements too:

• Members can now successfully delete their signatures by going to the Edit Signature page, deleting all the content, and then clicking the Save button. Previously there was a bug that did not allow an empty signature.
  • The mobile app now does a better job of recognizing when website updates have been made on the server, in order to update the phone with the latest changes.
  • Membership payments via Bitcoin or other cryptocurrency is currently offline, and will be brought back as soon as possible.
  • The usual assortment of minor bug fixes and performance improvements.

As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Raven62's avatar - binary
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #17842
    June 28, 2005
    146833 Posts

How does one get the hyperlink for each individual post?

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Catch-22: A dilemma or difficult circumstance from which there is no escape because of mutually conflicting or dependent conditions.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges: When the republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous.

The best way to learn is to never stop being a student!

Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      26445 Posts

How does one get the hyperlink for each individual post?

Click the page icon:

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17842
        June 28, 2005
        146833 Posts

Click the page icon:

Previously the Icon was Visible as Indicated, Howevr it is no longer Visible. Clicking the Indicated area opens the Hyperlink window.

Thanks,

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Catch-22: A dilemma or difficult circumstance from which there is no escape because of mutually conflicting or dependent conditions.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges: When the republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous.

The best way to learn is to never stop being a student!

Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          26445 Posts

Previously the Icon was Visible as Indicated, Howevr it is no longer Visible. Clicking the Indicated area opens the Hyperlink window.

Thanks,

It has been changed to an emoji document symbol, so if you're using an old web browser it might not show up great because of poor emoji support.  Also, the screenshot I included was for Windows.  It will look slightly different in different operating systems like MacOS, iOS, Android, Chrome, etc. — they will all show their version of a document symbol.

plshelpme's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg

United States
            Member #62237
            June 21, 2008
            31911 Posts

Thanks Todd for the update...  Thumbs Up
            I like the up/down vote because it doesn't let anyone know who submitted the vote Party

Pls Cool

grwurston's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
              Same #'s, different games.
              Here
              United States
              Member #90247
              April 24, 2010
              10654 Posts

If you vote up or down does it say who did what? And does each person get only one vote?

Like when you rate a topic, everyone knows who gave it however many stars. 

The lottery is the same way. 

https://youtu.be/b5-iJUuPWis

Jorli D's avatar - nw saucyelf2.jpg
                Michigan
                United States
                Member #2448
                October 4, 2003
                39553 Posts

Thank you, Todd.

GenevieveLovies

Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  26445 Posts

If you vote up or down does it say who did what? And does each person get only one vote?

Like when you rate a topic, everyone knows who gave it however many stars. 

The system does not reveal how any member votes on a post.  It is different than the stars, which I have come to regret that they reveal each person's rating.

Each member gets one vote per post.

partlycloudy07's avatar - Trek HAND3.gif
                    North Carolina
                    United States
                    Member #163490
                    February 1, 2015
                    2752 Posts

The system does not reveal how any member votes on a post.  It is different than the stars, which I have come to regret that they reveal each person's rating.

I really like it and think it will encourage those that do not post ....thanks

“You cannot solve a problem at the same level it was created" .......Albert Einstein

Throw it against the wall and see if it sticks (every time I send a deal to the banker ROFL

"Wherever there is number, there is beauty." -- Proclus

visit my blog 

Pick 4 pets 1917 , 1921, 5509 , 1970

Unlucky-Kenny's avatar - Cigar B1.gif
                      WISCONSIN
                      United States
                      Member #202055
                      November 7, 2019
                      2007 Posts

Super Cool!

Thanks for always working on the site and making improvements - always getting better even when it was great before.

Patriot

Ol' Kenny is going to win big just a loser

Lottery Post Wisconsin Results

Lottery Post Minnesota Results

SaraAnnRapp's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                        Member #205232
                        March 19, 2020
                        316 Posts

Sorry Todd but I do not participate in forums with a Reddit like rating system. It always leads to malice and negativity. Always. It's pointless and divisive and will engender bad feelings all around. I'm not about that so I will be leaving. 

To be clear, I joined this forum because it seemed like a positive place to discuss a common interest, lottery games, and it appeared to be well run. Sure people have minor squabbles sometimes but the overall atmosphere seemed to be one of camaraderie and friendship. People were fun and friendly and always eager to engage in civil discourse.

The new rating system destroys that. It's already begun. Frown

I do want to thank you for this site in general. I think the new rating system is a mistake but overall you have done a great job here and it was fun for me while it lasted. Kudos for that. Smile

Best wishes, 

Sara Ann

lakerben's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
                          New Mexico
                          United States
                          Member #86096
                          January 29, 2010
                          19212 Posts

I don't see anything positive coming from it. It will take us back to when certain members relentlessly bashed other people's work.  That doesn't accomplish anything but long winded threads with people fighting.

I think a better idea would be to start a forum asking how each member comes up with their predictions in the prediction area. I've always wondered how they come up with the numbers.  I've seen and used some predictions for hits.  It could ask what system (s) that they use to come up with the predictions.  This could be called the systems that the predictors use.  It could be "I use +11,123, or vtracs, etc.   This would be an interesting addition to this site.  At the present time I see each state has predictions but it doesn't say how they were derived by each member.

The systems are free to use . The smart ones use them and win.  The jealous ones miss out on $.

United States
                            Member #203155
                            December 24, 2019
                            3884 Posts

I don't see anything positive coming from it. It will take us back to when certain members relentlessly bashed other people's work.  That doesn't accomplish anything but long winded threads with people fighting.

I think a better idea would be to start a forum asking how each member comes up with their predictions in the prediction area. I've always wondered how they come up with the numbers.  I've seen and used some predictions for hits.  It could ask what system (s) that they use to come up with the predictions.  This could be called the systems that the predictors use.  It could be "I use +11,123, or vtracs, etc.   This would be an interesting addition to this site.  At the present time I see each state has predictions but it doesn't say how they were derived by each member.

I agree 100%.  I feel like the point of it is to Oprah-fy the forums and encourage posts that get upvotes. Make it artificially positive rather than naturally positive.

It never works that way.  The people like me who are divisive will then be encouraged to make posts that get lots of votes either way...basically any strong reaction is a good one, good or bad. Things were fine as is. This will not end well

fatcat38's avatar - Lottery-040.jpg
                              Myrtle Beach
                              United States
                              Member #196453
                              March 7, 2019
                              860 Posts

Interesting twist to the lottery post. Could care less if no likes on my post .

Knowledge,timing,experience,way to go!!!