Welcome Guest
You last visited November 26, 2021, 11:38 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What charities have you got lined up if you hit big?

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 2 months ago by jackpotismine.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Think's avatar - lightbulb
Marquette, MI
United States
Member #20540
August 20, 2005
964 Posts

I don't recall anyone doing this thread before but I do remember the ones about cars and houses.

Anyway, what charities would you pitch in to after a big hit?

United States
    Member #217865
    October 2, 2021
    11 Posts

I would give money directly to people I see on the streets that are homeless or struggling.  I wouldn't give to any charities as direct results and direct giving is better to change lives.  You give to charity and money goes to admin and advertising and maybe even comissions for people bringing in the money.  Will donating 10 million to charity improve anyone's lives?  Or will giving $5,000 each to two thousand homeless people directly in your city/county/state actual change lives?

Ask yourself this.  Would it be more effective if your city won 40 million so has an extra 40 million dollar budget or would you rather have 40 people win 1 million dollars?  Which would change lives?

db101's avatar - RB55Ms1

United States
      Member #202920
      December 14, 2019
      478 Posts

I don't recall anyone doing this thread before but I do remember the ones about cars and houses.

Anyway, what charities would you pitch in to after a big hit?

If you ever win a ginormous prize, it's better to start your own charitable foundation. That gives you full control over how the money is used.

NY
        United States
        Member #23834
        October 16, 2005
        4495 Posts

"If you ever win a ginormous prize, it's better to start your own charitable foundation."

Among the many things I'd need to do before taking the ticket to Lottery HQ is setting up the KYFloyd Charitable Foundation. If you donate beforehand the whopping tax deduction means that your foundation gets a lot more money than if you wait too long and pay income taxes first. The latest rollover puts the cash value at just about $475 million. Depending on the state that gets the income tax $175 million would be just about an even $100 million after taxes, and the other $300 million in a charitable foundation would remain the full $300 million.

"That gives you full control over how the money is used."

It depends on what you do with it. In theory you can be hands on and make management a full time job and spend as much as possible on the end results, such as hiring a general contractor to build  school or hospital. As a practical matter it's far easier to give the money to charitable causes, instead of to charities. You can certainly have some say in how they use the money, but unless you want a different full time job the people running that cause will have a better idea of what needs to be done than you do.

And who are the morons that downvoted the OP?

United States
          Member #217865
          October 2, 2021
          11 Posts

Why start a charity to avoid taxes when taxes go to basic programs to help schools and poor and greater good?  Are you starting the chartiy to skip out on taxes and somehow run a scammy charity like "Wounded Warriors" that keeps a lot of the money for the top managers?  Just pay your taxes, then start your charity.  Taxes go for basic services anyways.

fla33023's avatar - Trek UFPSYM6.gif
            South Florida
            United States
            Member #214606
            April 5, 2021
            131 Posts

It seems like most people are thinking of the big name charities. There are plenty of local charities that do work in your community. We have those that feed the homeless, house women and children that are in bad situations and of course, our local food banks.  I have seen these places in action and many of them run on volunteers and know how to stretch a dollar. I would be very hesitant to walk up to a homeless person and give them 5k. Where are the resources to help them use that money wisely?

db101's avatar - RB55Ms1

United States
              Member #202920
              December 14, 2019
              478 Posts

I would give money directly to people I see on the streets that are homeless or struggling.  I wouldn't give to any charities as direct results and direct giving is better to change lives.  You give to charity and money goes to admin and advertising and maybe even comissions for people bringing in the money.  Will donating 10 million to charity improve anyone's lives?  Or will giving $5,000 each to two thousand homeless people directly in your city/county/state actual change lives?

Ask yourself this.  Would it be more effective if your city won 40 million so has an extra 40 million dollar budget or would you rather have 40 people win 1 million dollars?  Which would change lives?

Your heart is in the right place, but giving cash to the unhoused is not efficient or even effective. In your case, if you ever win big, the best thing you could do with your money is start a policy institute that hires eggheads to research poverty and urban development issues, uses its findings to influence public policy in line with your values. Or fund an already existing think tank that aligns with your values. It's a long-term endeavor for a problem that is systemic, one that requires a major shift in public opinion.

CDanaT's avatar - Nolz june15.jpg
                Central TN
                United States
                Member #121187
                January 4, 2012
                5606 Posts

Lets seeeeeeeeeeee....Wounded Warriors, Shriners, St. Judes, Tunnel to Towers, Juvenile Diabetes Foundation, BP Vests for K-9's, local animal shelter and local food pantry.

Integrity: There is just no substitute.

A man's rights rest in 3 boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box

sully16's avatar - sharan
                  Ringleader
                  Michigan
                  United States
                  Member #81738
                  October 28, 2009
                  92245 Posts

Lets seeeeeeeeeeee....Wounded Warriors, Shriners, St. Judes, Tunnel to Towers, Juvenile Diabetes Foundation, BP Vests for K-9's, local animal shelter and local food pantry.

Same here, all great charities. Hyper

Happy Thanksgiving ! Turkey

United States
                    Member #217865
                    October 2, 2021
                    11 Posts

In 2016 The New York Times reported that WWP spent only 60% of donations on veterans, with the other 40% going for “overhead.”

NY
                      United States
                      Member #23834
                      October 16, 2005
                      4495 Posts

"Are you starting the chartiy to skip out on taxes and somehow run a scammy charity"

I don't know if you're hamstrung by a reading problem or a thinking problem, but if you win the lottery and pay taxes on the income you'll only have 50 to 60% left to donate to charities. That means that even if a charity somehow had no operating expenses and  could spend 100% of your donation directly on <insert cause here> they still wouldn't be spending any more than the amount you think makes wounded warriors a poor charity.

By setting up a charitable foundation and donating part of the prize the charitable foundation will have 100% of the donated prize available to spend. It's a simple concept.

* In hot pursuit of $ *
                        White Shores- California
                        United States
                        Member #136471
                        December 12, 2012
                        6757 Posts

* Definitely not giving to any politician, that's for sure. There are enough suckers who are constantly doing that already & showing no remorse.

"And who are the morons that downvoted the OP?"

*The same people who are incapable of thinking clearly.

* The same folk who think Brazil is close to Ireland & Australia is neighboring France.

* Voice of Reason *   

* People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
                          Kunming
                          China
                          Member #57908
                          January 23, 2008
                          4873 Posts

My money would go to THE JACPOTISMINE CHARITY foundation.

PartyPartyGreen laugh

I believe in Occam's razor:

The Simplest Answer is Usually Correct.Yes Nod