Welcome Guest
You last visited May 18, 2022, 5:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mandalas from images of lottery tickets

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 4 months ago by Stat$talker.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
cottoneyedjoe's avatar - cuonvFT

United States
Member #197030
March 28, 2019
1045 Posts

I'm going to make a thread showing how to make a mandala-type image in GIMP starting from a low-res image of a lottery ticket, such as this one

which I got from Stat$talker's post https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/327102/6768218

I think this falls under "math" because...reasons.

United States
    Member #197030
    March 28, 2019
    1045 Posts

So first, get a low-resolution image of a lottery ticket, the worse the quality the better. Go to Colors -> Hue and Saturation and wiggle the knobs to make the colors brighter and prettier.

Next, go to Filters -> Map -> Panorama Projection, and slide the Zoom all the way down to either 0 or 1.0. Wiggle the knobs on Pan, Tilt, and Spin until you get something you like. I settled on this one

United States
      Member #197030
      March 28, 2019
      1045 Posts

Next, scale the image into a really big square, and don't worry about how ugly and pixelated it is. I usually do 3000px by 3000px.

After you do that, go to Filters -> Artistic -> Oilify, and set the Mask Radius to a much bigger number than the default, maybe something in the range of 25-30. Click OK to make the magic happen. Afterward, it should look kinda like a painting, like this

United States
        Member #197030
        March 28, 2019
        1045 Posts

Now, go to Filters -> Distorts -> Kaleidoscope and set the mirrors to the maximum number (24), slide the zoom down, and slide the Center Y slider around until you get something you like. I settled on this

United States
          Member #197030
          March 28, 2019
          1045 Posts

Now, do the the Kaleidoscope filtering again, sliding around the sliders until you get something you like. Here's what my second pass of kaleidscoping got me

United States
            Member #197030
            March 28, 2019
            1045 Posts

Now go to the Colors menu and play around with Hue & Saturation, Brightness & Contrast, Invert, and whatever other color filters you are into. I settled on this

That's how you can make mandalas with fewer than a dozen steps in GIMP. I typically use some of the more advanced options under Filters to get different effects, you can experiment with different things if you're feeling adventurous. The Cartoon filter will put black borders around areas of the same color. Adding Noise in the first step can add more colors if you're starting with a relatively gray image.

Speler's avatar - me

Belgium
              Member #214858
              April 17, 2021
              2345 Posts

Is that the inside of a covid-19?

thamizhpayan's avatar - Lottery-052.jpg

United States
                Member #173010
                February 13, 2016
                1407 Posts

I'm going to make a thread showing how to make a mandala-type image in GIMP starting from a low-res image of a lottery ticket, such as this one

which I got from Stat$talker's post https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/327102/6768218

I think this falls under "math" because...reasons.

Good one Joe

Create a seed from the image by reading binary raw format data of the generated image(randomly pick some bytes) and generate random numbers for next drawings for same game/others. Try using some seed fed random generators like Mersenne Twister or other congruential generators.

We will get some random combinations to play.

United States
                  Member #197030
                  March 28, 2019
                  1045 Posts

Is that the inside of a covid-19?

Could be!

United States
                    Member #197030
                    March 28, 2019
                    1045 Posts

Good one Joe

Create a seed from the image by reading binary raw format data of the generated image(randomly pick some bytes) and generate random numbers for next drawings for same game/others. Try using some seed fed random generators like Mersenne Twister or other congruential generators.

We will get some random combinations to play.

Great minds think alike! LOL A while back I wrote a program to generate pseudo-random numbers from binary file data in a deterministic way. Maybe later I'll input some mandalas.

United States
                      Member #173010
                      February 13, 2016
                      1407 Posts

Great minds think alike! LOL A while back I wrote a program to generate pseudo-random numbers from binary file data in a deterministic way. Maybe later I'll input some mandalas.

Thumbs Up

Smile The combinations or numbers generated would be unique and you will have a story to tell if you won with those numbers.

db101's avatar - RB55Ms1

United States
                        Member #202920
                        December 14, 2019
                        514 Posts

LOL If you make a mandala out of a pic of your losing ticket and meditate on it, will the winning numbers come to you? I dig it.

Doesn't Gimp also have a filter for turning images into mandelbrot fractals? I'm keen on fractals.

United States
                          Member #173010
                          February 13, 2016
                          1407 Posts

LOL If you make a mandala out of a pic of your losing ticket and meditate on it, will the winning numbers come to you? I dig it.

Doesn't Gimp also have a filter for turning images into mandelbrot fractals? I'm keen on fractals.

There should be some plug-in to turn images into Mandelbrot in 1 step.

Good Luck digging those fractals...

United States
                            Member #197030
                            March 28, 2019
                            1045 Posts

Just for you, DB. Thumbs Up Fractals would have been a more mathematical topic, in retrospect.

In GIMP, fractals are under Filters -> Map -> Fractal Trace, and from there you can choose either Mandelbrot or Julia. To make this fractal, I started with the same low-res image of Stat$talker's ticket, first added a bit of random RGB noise, then scaled it to 3000x3000. Then I did Oilify, then Mandelbrot with depth=3, then Julia with depth=1, then Mean Blur, and finally some color adjustment.

United States
                              Member #197030
                              March 28, 2019
                              1045 Posts

You can combine the two effects. This one was done by first making a mandala with 13-fold symmetry, then applying Mandelbrot with depth=2, then Juila with depth=2. And the usual color adjustments.