Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2022, 11:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Sometimes even when you win the Lottery, you STILL don't get your money! 😡😱

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 2 months ago by Player649.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Miami Florida
United States
Member #191036
July 13, 2018
506 Posts

So, I was on YouTube literally a couple of minutes ago and watched a video about a $288 Million Powerball Winner who wasn't able to get their Winnings. This happened in Illinois two years ago and Illinois said they couldn't pay out more than $600 in Winnings because they didn't have the money yet.. The Uploader pointed out how messed up this was and pointed out that not giving someone something they paid for and won would be considered Fraud in most jurisdictions. Someone who won $250,000 who REALLY needed it said something like,"If I owed Illinois $250,000 they'd be after me for that money and wouldn't care if I had a roof over my head."  In a weird side note, the Illinois Lottery was STILL selling tickets even as they knew they didn't have the money to pay out over $600. 🧐 This Emoji is the closest I could find to express how I feel about that.

The Posters commented something like," Illinois needs to pay those Winners their money! I'm boycotting Illinois Lottery over this!"

I myself found myself SHOCKED and outraged. This is disgusting! 😡😱

"What's your ADDRESS?" May be the CREEPIEST question EVER asked to a Lottery Winner! O.O WTF?

At first, I found the one digit away draws kind of amusing, but now I am PISSED! 15 or 16 times I was off by just one digit in recent times!🤬 No longer find this amusing, it's making me REALLY angry now!🤬

rdgrnr's avatar - nw barkeep.jpg
    Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler
    The Hall Of The Mountain Kings Tennesse (East!)
    United States
    Member #73902
    April 28, 2009
    15181 Posts

Illinois has been run by crooks and thieves for decades and decades. It still is. They say all Illinois Governors serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.

They were giving out IOU's to winners for a while. Too many rats with their hands in the cookie jar in that state but the people keep voting for them so that's what they get. 

Merry Christmas!                                

(I don't say "Happy Holiday" for the 4th of July and I ain't sayin' it for Christmas either)

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
      Texas
      United States
      Member #4549
      May 2, 2004
      2820 Posts

That story was from 2015. A little google says the reason for the delay was there was, "no balanced budget and therefore the comptroller had no authority to cut those checks."

A federal judge's ruling on Dec. 2, 2015, instructed the state "to segregate winnings and interest on those winnings in a separate fund to ensure the funds aren’t used elsewhere.”

December 7, 2015, Gov. Bruce Rauner signed Senate Bill 2039, making $3.1 billion available to not only fund payments to lottery winners, but also local governments, highway departments and domestic violence shelters, among others. So it affected more than just lottery winners. 

The state subsequently announced they would begin processing payments as of December 14, 2015.

Proving everything on Youtube is current, or completely true. 

G

The biggest improvement you'll ever make in the odds of winning is buying a lottery ticket. With just one ticket the odds go from IMPOSSIBLE to IMPROBABLE!

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32651
        February 14, 2006
        9411 Posts

That story was from 2015. A little google says the reason for the delay was there was, "no balanced budget and therefore the comptroller had no authority to cut those checks."

A federal judge's ruling on Dec. 2, 2015, instructed the state "to segregate winnings and interest on those winnings in a separate fund to ensure the funds aren’t used elsewhere.”

December 7, 2015, Gov. Bruce Rauner signed Senate Bill 2039, making $3.1 billion available to not only fund payments to lottery winners, but also local governments, highway departments and domestic violence shelters, among others. So it affected more than just lottery winners. 

The state subsequently announced they would begin processing payments as of December 14, 2015.

Proving everything on Youtube is current, or completely true. 

G

But she literally watched this six year old video  "on You Tube minutes ago". Wonder if this is the same "huge winner" that had his anonymity busted when he took a 10-year-old girl on a "huge shopping spree". It usually takes at least six weeks to get one of those $100 million plus checks, but a letter of proof from a state lottery will get the winner a few thousand dollar short term loan. 

Maybe she'll find a video about Bunky Bartlett the first known Wiccan jackpot winner.

I do not like broccoli!

Miami Florida
          United States
          Member #191036
          July 13, 2018
          506 Posts

Yep, had no idea about the Illinois Lottery thing until today. But the video I watched was uploaded 2 years ago making it seem pretty recently... I didn't know this thing happened 6 years ago. Weird they would upload the video 4 years later.

"What's your ADDRESS?" May be the CREEPIEST question EVER asked to a Lottery Winner! O.O WTF?

At first, I found the one digit away draws kind of amusing, but now I am PISSED! 15 or 16 times I was off by just one digit in recent times!🤬 No longer find this amusing, it's making me REALLY angry now!🤬

Texas
            United States
            Member #4549
            May 2, 2004
            2820 Posts

If you go to Youtube you'll see this one dated October 16, 2015 from Inside Edition.
            I remember reading about it here on LP as well. That's the reason for the SEARCH function. 

Its only fair we post both sides when something like this is brought up. 

G

The biggest improvement you'll ever make in the odds of winning is buying a lottery ticket. With just one ticket the odds go from IMPOSSIBLE to IMPROBABLE!

Texas
              United States
              Member #4549
              May 2, 2004
              2820 Posts

But she literally watched this six year old video  "on You Tube minutes ago". Wonder if this is the same "huge winner" that had his anonymity busted when he took a 10-year-old girl on a "huge shopping spree". It usually takes at least six weeks to get one of those $100 million plus checks, but a letter of proof from a state lottery will get the winner a few thousand dollar short term loan. 

Maybe she'll find a video about Bunky Bartlett the first known Wiccan jackpot winner.

True. Illinois was paying out winners up to $25,000. It was the larger winners who weren't getting paid which led to lawsuits being filed. 

Likely the state had millions, if not billions, in interest bearing accounts and cough-cough expected the longer they withheld the payment the more interest the state would earn. 

That didn't set well with the judge who put the state on the hook for the winnings plus interest. And one week later the state separated to money with the Governor signing the bill. 

G

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                Dump Water Florida
                United States
                Member #380
                June 5, 2002
                3498 Posts

Arrrgh, should have demanded his dollar back!!

BobPType

Miami Florida
                  United States
                  Member #191036
                  July 13, 2018
                  506 Posts

Hmm. I JUST watched another Video on this that was ACTUALLY uploaded 5 years ago, just one year after Illinois pulled this horrible stunt. The Second video I watched made it clear that the $288 Million that wasn't being paid out yet due to Illinois"Not having the money yet," was all of the Winners COMBINED. The first video I watched made it look like a single $288 Million Powerball Winner wasn't getting their money yet, a HUGE difference between one person not getting their $288 Million before taxes and $288 Million COMBINED.....

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32651
                    February 14, 2006
                    9411 Posts

True. Illinois was paying out winners up to $25,000. It was the larger winners who weren't getting paid which led to lawsuits being filed. 

Likely the state had millions, if not billions, in interest bearing accounts and cough-cough expected the longer they withheld the payment the more interest the state would earn. 

That didn't set well with the judge who put the state on the hook for the winnings plus interest. And one week later the state separated to money with the Governor signing the bill. 

G

Without showing a link to any story, we'll never know if it really happened, never happened, or very inaccurate like in this story. Might be worth discussing if the problem wasn't fixed over six years ago. 

Time to move onto how to cash a large jackpot winning ticket without signing the back of the ticket.

I do not like broccoli!

Canada
                      Member #218122
                      October 17, 2021
                      65 Posts

Illinois has been run by crooks and thieves for decades and decades. It still is. They say all Illinois Governors serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.

They were giving out IOU's to winners for a while. Too many rats with their hands in the cookie jar in that state but the people keep voting for them so that's what they get. 

That's a good one.

I believe that the second term should be applied to many other politicians, not only governors. I guess everybody has their own favorite picks....

I certainly do.