Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Dreams dont ever come true...

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 13 years ago by keybank.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
Member #14
November 9, 2001
31343 Posts
Posted: June 29, 2003, 7:11 pm - IP Logged

el santo - what state do you live in?

check out www.pbs.org/literacy   and adulted.about.com

you can study online and get lots of free help.

love to nibble those micey feet.

United States
    Member #562
    August 12, 2002
    22 Posts
    Posted: June 29, 2003, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

El Santo,

It's a shame that you were treated differently than your brother when you were growing up.  Sometimes that can create some real head issues.  Now that you're an adult, come to terms with your dad's behavior and move on.

About your girl friend, I don't mean to diss her but you may want to have a paternity test to make sure the child she's caring is yours.  Once your name is on the birth certificate, you're responsible for raising that child not to mention 20% of your annual income, even it turns out not to be yours biologically.  You are a caring and compassionate person, great qualities for a dad.   Just be sure the child is yours.

Please make a plan for yourself.  You're only 21 and life's been rather crappy thus far.  Now it's time for some focus.  First, get a full time job.  I don't care if it's flipping burgers or whatever, you need a job.  That is a start in a resume that can show initiative and dependablilty.  (In other words, you work your a## off.)  Then decide what it is that matters to you.  If it's a GED, then you find a way to make that happen.  Also, find resources to help you help yourself.   A junior college is a good place to start.  Talk to an advisor about how to get a GED.  If they can't help you, they certainly should know who can.  There are also grants and other resources that might be able to help you financially so you can attend school.  If at all possible, acquiring a GED is an excellent  start.

Now, you mentioned you can write lyrics.  That's great.  If it's your passion, something that you really enjoy, then pursue it.  If you live in a city that has live music, hang out and talk to musicians.  (Stay away from the drugs!)   Ask them if they know any song writers and talk to them.  Get input from music people.  Maybe, just maybe, these life experiences you're going thru need to be in your lyrics. 

You say you worked to your best but nothing's come of it.  When athletes are in a slump, they get advice from their coaches.  You've received a lot of advice from many people on this board who care and want to help you help yourself.  And don't forget to look into resources in your community.  And remember...Life is a journey, not a destination.     

Westland
      United States
      Member #1750
      June 29, 2003
      6 Posts
      Posted: June 29, 2003, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

I live in Michigan.

I've tried to come to terms with my dads behavior but yet it I still cant get over it.  I love my family with all my heart but that aint good enough for my dad.  I dont know what to do or how to get over how I feel about it.  My ex-girldriend now told me to see a therapist about it but that costs money that I dont have or can get now. 

I've tried to apply at McDonalds but they aint hireing.  No joke,  I have been to countless places looking for work and got no answer or reply form them.  Many places have signs on the door before you go in that says that they are no longer accepting applications. 

I have had jobs before but nothing that I could hold down.  I went to get a physical and talked to a doctor about a pain that I get in my lower back.  I told him when it hurts and what might have made it start.  He says it was from an accident that I was in about 2 years ago.  I cant be on my feel long and I cant walk long distances.  I used to get into arguements with my ex-girlfriend about it when we would go get her grocerys for her house.  I couldent walk around the store with her because it feels like I am getting stabed in my lower back down to my left knee constantly.  I cant do hard physical labor because of that reason.  I just cant take the pain.  I dont do drugs so I wont do anything major that might take the pain away.  Asprin dont work for it nor do any other medicine.  I used to do some drugs but I stoped that a long time ago so that I would never have to worrie about failing a drug test for a job.  And I didnt want anyone I knew to come in harms way from it.  But that was back when I was 14-17.  If there is one thing that I have done that was good for me was to stop the drugs. If I could get the job that I could handel and keep I would save my money for my daughter and for me to get a better education for her.

I plan on getting a DNA test done to make sure that the baby is mine.  I hope that she is mine.  But I kinda hope that she aint just so she has a better father.  I always wanted children but I cant support one.  I love kids and I am very good with them. 

As for my songs/lyrics.  There aint anywhere I can go to talk to live bands.  And if there is any that I dont know about I couldent get there to talk to them.  Most places has a covercharge and stuff like that. 

I appricate everyone that is giving me ideas and advise. Thank you.  As the days go by whomever is still interested in how my life is getting by.  I will continue to post or you can chat with me via email - Cyrs17@aol.com

visiondude's avatar - eye3logo
        light on my feet
        United States
        Member #356
        May 20, 2002
        2744 Posts
        Posted: June 29, 2003, 8:20 pm - IP Logged

you have hope. based on what my parents "weren't",

i should have been on jerry springer a time or three.

and look at me, i turned out OK. (lol).

the idea is that you NEVER give up, you ALWAYS give yourself the benefit of the doubt and you NEVER stop trying. people that fail do so because they thought the sign at the fork in the road read "stop" when it actually reads "yield". stop long enough to ponder, but always keep moving.

someday your life will be a hallmark card to someone else.

.....visiondude

"i am .........."meant to"       

P.S.,  that RJoH  is a stand up guy.  thanks,  vision

until further notice,  it's  france everyday

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
          Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #1340
          April 6, 2003
          2450 Posts
          Posted: June 30, 2003, 8:08 am - IP Logged

Look at Benji and Joel from Good Charlotte (Punk Band)... each is only singing/guitar playing for 4 years and look at the dough!...

They basically got rich off of singing about how bad their life was... put all the negativity into lyrical form and find a local punk band.

I used to be in a band around your age, nothing fancy, just cover tunes in local bars and clubs... fun stuff. I'm always writing songs (music), at 34 years old, I just can't shake the music bug :-)

I suck at lyrics tho... maybe we should do a collaboration for kicks... write a song, I can record it in my (spartan but functional) basement studio, then we can throw it on Garageband.com and see how the people take to it... couldn't hurt...

United States
            Member #1148
            February 17, 2003
            50 Posts
            Posted: June 30, 2003, 8:35 am - IP Logged

So, El Santo, why did you register at a lottery forum to "spill your guts"? There are so many other websites out there to help with your particular problem(s). Have you tried any of them? Have you called any of the Prayer Hotlines that are on billboards everywhere, or even in the phone books?

As you can tell, there are a lot of caring people here, but, REALLY, you should go to a spot that is uniquely geared to your needs.

Hope you find your way in life.

Calscorp's avatar - dnk st
              Bakersfield
              United States
              Member #1568
              May 24, 2003
              421 Posts
              Posted: June 30, 2003, 8:49 am - IP Logged

Picture in your mind what you want your life to be like. Write it down and read it everyday. Set some goals and start slow. Take it one day at a time. You never know when your life is going to turn around. The thing is to never give up. When you get really down find some one to talk to that you know will make you feel better. You have been given a lot of good advice by these nice people. And there are a lot of nice people out there willing to help.  I know in California there are temporary work services that help you get your GED and get a job. Just don't ever give up. God Bless and Good Luck.

chicago
                United States
                Member #1773
                July 1, 2003
                1 Posts
                Posted: July 1, 2003, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

i dont think anyone wants to win as bad as i do i came from a long line of screw ups.  i use to be an addict now i'm 10 years clean married with children and now i'm realizing i may not be able to send my wonderful children to college. if they dont keep up their grades they wont get scholarships to go. there are so many things i would like to do my grandmother never owed her own house my parents need to quick working and relax i would love to give that to them as a gift of thanks they deserve it. but i know in my heart that im going to win one day i just hope i'm not to old to enjoy it so hey keep your head up stranger things have happened