Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

All a matter of luck

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 13 years ago by Calscorp.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
megamillionaire's avatar - Sphere animated_small_ neg2.gif
Queens, NY
United States
Member #245
April 15, 2002
451 Posts
Posted: July 11, 2003, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

Interesting that the Missouri half of the Powerball jackpot was a QP (guick pick) or whatever they call a computer pick in Missouri. The Wednesday NY Lottery jackpot was a QP. Which leads me to wonder why people pull out their hair trying to figure out what numbers to play. I usually play two picks with my numbers and all the rest are QP'S and generally I win with them, asthe QP'S.

Megamillionaire

Time is a wonderful teacher, but it kills all its students.

A man must consider what a rich realm he leaves when he becomes a conformist.

United States
    Member #379
    June 5, 2002
    11296 Posts
    Posted: July 11, 2003, 12:29 pm - IP Logged
    MM:

I suppose the NY winner(?) didn't care how terrible the 6/59 pays. 4/6 is often less than the $23 that night.

Thomas Covenant's avatar - money
      South Carolina
      United States
      Member #491
      July 16, 2002
      837 Posts
      Posted: July 11, 2003, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

It seems that 70% of winners use quick picks. Which fits because 70% of the players buy quick picks. It would seem that if lottery systems were worth a damn, they would take a higher percentage of the jackpots.

Okay, now I believe you can predict lottery numbers

megamillionaire's avatar - Sphere animated_small_ neg2.gif
        Queens, NY
        United States
        Member #245
        April 15, 2002
        451 Posts
        Posted: July 11, 2003, 12:46 pm - IP Logged
        Quote: Originally posted by Thomas Covenant on July 11, 2003

It seems that 70% of winners use quick picks. Which fits because 70% of the players buy quick picks. It would seem that if lottery systems were worth a damn, they would take a higher percentage of the jackpots.

Thomas: The idea is to give out smaller prizes to keep people buying in hopes of winning the jackpot. That's why they make the jackpot odds much higher than the rest. As you can see the bigger the jackpot the bigger the sales. That's the way of lotteries.

Megamillionaire

Time is a wonderful teacher, but it kills all its students.

A man must consider what a rich realm he leaves when he becomes a conformist.

Calscorp's avatar - dnk st
          Bakersfield
          United States
          Member #1568
          May 24, 2003
          421 Posts
          Posted: July 11, 2003, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

I like the qp but I do occassionally like to figure out what will play.  The very first lottery program I had (just a $10 program from K-Mart ) got me four numbers on the lottery.  If they had not changed our game I might have hit all the numbers.  I still don't like the new one. It is too hard to win anything.  Guess that is why they changed it. lol Lottopro is worthless on it . Of course, one day I did wheel $21 on it.  Using the same mega number everytime .  So I got the mega number 21 times and got my number back.  Other than that I have gotten nothing.  And when I play my own I win nothing.  But I can at least hit 2 numbers and the mega with a qp.  Depends on the mood I am in , how I will play.  Most people aren't gong to take the time to pick any numbers unless they play birthdays. 

reddog's avatar - patch
            Greensboro, North Carolina
            United States
            Member #1616
            June 5, 2003
            1283 Posts
            Posted: July 11, 2003, 2:29 pm - IP Logged

Exactly, that's me.  Easy Pic seems to be the way to go on Mega Million.

Wisconsin
              United States
              Member #1610
              June 3, 2003
              668 Posts
              Posted: July 11, 2003, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

when you look back at the a

... the lottery never fails to surprise!
                South Carolina
                United States
                Member #491
                July 16, 2002
                837 Posts
                Posted: July 11, 2003, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

>if 70% of players used their own personal numbers (instead of qp's)...i honestly believe that they would hit 70% of the jackpots. correct me if i'm wrong.<

Of course. Since it's random.

kbcherokee's avatar - buffalo2
                  Virginia
                  United States
                  Member #1712
                  June 20, 2003
                  1549 Posts
                  Posted: July 13, 2003, 11:49 am - IP Logged

Hey gang:

United States
                    Member #1759
                    June 29, 2003
                    1156 Posts
                    Posted: July 13, 2003, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

Most of the tickets purchased are quick-picks but the majority of the winners are players that select there own numbers.I found this out personally from research that was done on this subject from a lottery related website.Whether they used a system,software,lucky numbers or pulled numbers out of a hat players that selected there own numbers grabbed a majority of the Jackpot winnings compared to Quick-Pick users.Even though you moslty hear or read that a player won from a quick-pick doesn't mean they win more often or most of the jackpots.Sometimes the Lottery doesn't like saying that a player won picking his own numbers because it makes it seem like the game isn't so RANDOM.But when you win from a quick-pick they can say it was all luck

and had nothing to do with the player.

South Carolina
                      United States
                      Member #491
                      July 16, 2002
                      837 Posts
                      Posted: July 13, 2003, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

No, Pick 4 master, about 70% of the winners used a quick pick, and about 70% of the players buy quick picks. Do a search on the internet and you will find these figures everywhere. This is what's called "Common Knowledge".

United States
                        Member #1759
                        June 29, 2003
                        1156 Posts
                        Posted: July 13, 2003, 5:42 pm - IP Logged

"Quick-Picks" and "Selecting your own Numbers" from what

I understand more players use quick-picks when playing the Lottery and the rest pick there own numbers

so let's say that out of 100% 70% buy quick-picks and the remaining 30% pick their own numbers.Now from the information I read which was in several books and on a

Lottery related website even though more players use quick-picks the majority of the winners are not from quick-pick users but from players that selected their own numbers.This was based on sales and other information that is gathered by the Lottery Commision information that let's them know whether someone won with a quick-pick or their own numbers.Now whether this

pertains to all State Lotteries I'm not sure some of the states mentioned were CA and FL if you feel this is

incorrect that's understandable but in my opinion it makes sense and is probably true.

luckycat's avatar - animaniacs24

United States
                          Member #1687
                          June 16, 2003
                          1047 Posts
                          Posted: July 13, 2003, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

I read somewhere that the question was asked why do most winners generally come from the same state or area most of the time. the answer was that  it goes by    where it is mostly populated

like maybe calif would get more qp because higher in population?

just a thought.have not researched where all the winners are from/but maybe winners are comming more from same area.

luckycat

luckycat        >>>>>>>    purr-purr--purrfect                           

luckycat's avatar - animaniacs24

United States
                            Member #1687
                            June 16, 2003
                            1047 Posts
                            Posted: July 16, 2003, 6:38 am - IP Logged

I really don't belive  in luck/ I believe one can make luck happen by knowledge/like a prognosis.

luckycat        >>>>>>>    purr-purr--purrfect                           

Wisconsin
                              United States
                              Member #1610
                              June 3, 2003
                              668 Posts
                              Posted: July 19, 2003, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

interestin

... the lottery never fails to surprise!