Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 10:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Can Anyone Help Me??

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 14 years ago by Littleoldlady.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
Clarksville
United States
Member #487
July 15, 2002
17638 Posts
Posted: July 16, 2003, 9:06 am - IP Logged

I am having a problem with my computer and need some help.  I did not know where else to post this.  When I click on a link, it will not open.  Instead the window comes up but no address will show and it looks like my desktop becomes part of the web page.  I have already defragged my computer, I don't know what else to do.  I know there are people on this forum who are very computer savvy.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I am running windows 98, have 256K.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
    Pennsylvania
    United States
    Member #1340
    April 6, 2003
    2450 Posts
    Posted: July 16, 2003, 9:11 am - IP Logged

you could try rebooting the machine (not restart, but rather shut down and boot up again). What browser are you using? (if you open the browser, then click "Help" and then "About", it will give you the version). The last time I saw that problem on a PC, it ended up being a corrupt Java Virtual Machine in the browser and downloading the latest version fixed it.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

Clarksville
      United States
      Member #487
      July 15, 2002
      17638 Posts
      Posted: July 16, 2003, 9:13 am - IP Logged

How do I open the browser???  I am using internet explorer.

Pennsylvania
        United States
        Member #1340
        April 6, 2003
        2450 Posts
        Posted: July 16, 2003, 9:19 am - IP Logged

just click the blue e on the desktop...

If you are viewing the forum, it's already open...

just look at the top, there it says

File  Edit  View  Favorites  Tools  Help

click Help, then on the drop down menu, click

About Internet Explorer to get the version info.

Clarksville
          United States
          Member #487
          July 15, 2002
          17638 Posts
          Posted: July 16, 2003, 9:27 am - IP Logged

Thanks..it is 6.0

Pennsylvania
            United States
            Member #1340
            April 6, 2003
            2450 Posts
            Posted: July 16, 2003, 9:46 am - IP Logged

you could try updating explorer by clicking Tools / Windows Update.

IE 6 may not run so good on anything other than windows XP.

If you right-click anywhere on your desktop (but not on an icon or taskbar), it will bring up a small menu that will have "Properties" at the bottom of it... Click this and it will open a new window, with tabs going across the top... go to the one marked "Web" and see if the one checkbox is checked or not (about displaying web content on your active desktop).. if it is, try un-checking it... if it is not checked, then leave it as it is...

did the reboot work?

Pacific Northwest
              United States
              Member #1229
              March 6, 2003
              707 Posts
              Posted: July 16, 2003, 9:51 am - IP Logged

Could be this problem?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281679

I guess that link will not owrk for you:

You Cannot Open New Internet Explorer Window or Nothing Happens After You Click a Link

The information in this article applies to:

• Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6 for Windows XP
              • Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6 for Windows 2000
              • Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6 for Windows NT 4.0
              • Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6 for Windows Millennium Edition
              • Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6 for Windows 98 Second Edition
              • Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6 for Windows 98
              • Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 for Windows 2000
              • Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 for Windows NT 4.0
              • Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 for Windows Millennium Edition
              • Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 for Windows 98 Second Edition
              • Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 for Windows 98
              • Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 for Windows 95
              • Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 for Windows 2000
              • Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 for Windows NT 4.0
              • Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 for Windows 98 Second Edition
              • Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 for Windows 98
              • Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 for Windows 95
              • Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 for Windows NT 4.0
              • Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 for Windows 98 Second Edition
              • Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 for Windows 98
              • Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 for Windows 95

This article was previously published under Q281679

SYMPTOMS

When you click a hyperlink in an e-mail message or on a Web page, or right-click a hyperlink on a Web page and then click Open in New Window, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:

• Nothing happens.
              • The new window may be blank.
              • You may receive a scripting error message.
              When you use the Print command or the Print Preview command in Internet Explorer, nothing may happen.

When you try to connect to Web folders, you may receive the following error message:

The current operation could not be completed because an unexpected error has occurred.

CAUSE

This behavior may occur for any of the following reasons:

• The (Default) value setting in one or more of the following registry keys points to an incorrect location for the Urlmon.dll file:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{79eac9e0-baf9-11ce-8c82-00aa004ba90b}\InprocServer32]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{79eac9f1-baf9-11ce-8c82-00aa004ba90b}\InprocServer32]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{79eac9f2-baf9-11ce-8c82-00aa004ba90b}\InprocServer32]

This may occur if you install a customized version of Internet Explorer that was created with the Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) version 5.01 Service Pack 1 (SP1), 5.5 SP1, or 6.0.
              • The following registry key is missing or damaged:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

• One or more of the following files is missing, damaged, or improperly registered:

• Url.dll
                • Mshtml.dll
                • Actxprxy.dll
                • Oleaut32.dll
                • Shell32.dll
                • Shdocvw.dll

RESOLUTION

To resolve this problem in Internet Explorer, follow these steps:

1. Quit all programs that are running.
              2. Click Start, and then click Run.
              3. Type regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then click OK.
              4. When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK.
              If this does not resolve the problem, repeat steps 2 through 4 for each of the following files (in step 3, replace Urlmon.dll with each of the file names below):

• Shdocvw.dll
              • Msjava.dll
              • Actxprxy.dll
              • Oleaut32.dll
              • Mshtml.dll
              • Browseui.dll
              • Shell32.dll (Windows XP and Windows 2000 only)
              If the problem is still not resolved, verify that the following registry values are present and correct:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
              Name: (Default)
              Value: IDispatch
              HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProxyStubClsid
              Value: {00020420-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
              HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProxyStubClsid32
              Value: {00020420-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

If the problem is still not resolved, reinstall Internet Explorer. If you are using the version of Internet Explorer that is included with your operating system, reinstall or repair your operating system.

Internet Explorer Administration Kit Users

If this problem occurs after you install a customized version of Internet Explorer that was created with the Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) version 5.01 Service Pack 1 (SP1), 5.5 SP1, or 6.0 and is resolved by re-registering the Urlmon.dll file, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the appropriate fix below.

IEAK for Internet Explorer 6

A supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Apply it only to computers that are experiencing this specific problem.

To resolve this problem, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;CNTACTMS

NOTE: In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific update in question.

The English version of this fix should have the following file attributes or later:
               Date         Time   Version        Size     File name
              ------------------------------------------------------
              11-Oct-2001 19:45 6.0.2710.1100 189,440 Ie6wzd.exe
              Note This hotfix is not distributed by using a hotfix installer package but is an actual binary hotfix that you must manually replace. To do this, rename the old Ie6wzd.exe file in your IEAK installation folder\Iebin\Optional\EN folder, manually copy the hotfix into that folder, and then rebuild your IEAK package to have the hotfix included inside your package.

Important If Automatic Version Synchronization (AVS) is applied to your IEAK installation after you use this fix, you must manually apply this hotfix again.

IEAK for Internet Explorer 5.5

A supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Apply it only to computers that are experiencing this specific problem.

To resolve this problem, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

NOTE: In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific update in question.

The English version of this fix should have the following file attributes or later:
               Date         Time    Version         Size     File name
              --------------------------------------------------------
              18-Dec-2000 17:22 5.50.4612.1800 183,056 Ie5wzd.exe

Note This hotfix is not distributed by using a hotfix installer package, but is an actual binary hotfix that you must manually replace. To do this, rename the old Ie5wzd.exe file in your IEAK installation folder\Iebin\Optional\EN folder, manually copy the hotfix into that folder, and then rebuild your IEAK package to have the hotfix included inside your package.

Important If Automatic Version Synchronization (AVS) is applied to your IEAK installation after you use this fix, you must manually apply this hotfix again.

IEAK for Internet Explorer 5.01

Date         Time     Version        Size      File name
              ---------------------------------------------------------
              01-Nov-2000 11:01a 5.0.3210.3100 177,424 Ie5wzd.exe

Note This hotfix is not distributed by using a hotfix installer package, but is an actual binary hotfix that you must manually replace. To do this, rename the old Ie5wzd.exe file in your IEAK installation folder\Iebin\Optional\EN folder, manually copy the hotfix into that folder, and then rebuild your IEAK package to have the hotfix included inside your package.

Clarksville
                United States
                Member #487
                July 15, 2002
                17638 Posts
                Posted: July 16, 2003, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

Thank you so much ...I will have to read this several times to get it.

DonnaH's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
                  South Carolina
                  United States
                  Member #1738
                  June 23, 2003
                  39 Posts
                  Posted: July 16, 2003, 4:05 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for this post because I am having the same problems... to open a link, I literally have to cut and paste.

I'll try it as well!

I appreciate all of you!

Donna

Bryan's avatar - Lottery-002.jpg
                    Mid-Missouri
                    United States
                    Member #644
                    August 31, 2002
                    4271 Posts
                    Posted: July 16, 2003, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

Hi Littleoldlady and Donna,

First of all, you have to have the combo that littleoldlady has for this to work. Win98 and I.E. 6. (Donna, if you have that setup, try this.)

Start>programs>accessories>system tools>system info>tools> I.E. repair tool.

When you get to to the repair screen. click O.K. and choose Repair and click O.K. again.

DO  NOT choose previous configuration (it will revert your I.E. back to a previous version)

After you choose repair, your system will ask you to reboot. After you reboot all should be well. This method fixes most I.E. problems and you don't lose your favorites or e-mail addresses.

If you have any questions PM me.

Good Luck,

Bryan  :)

Wisconsin
                      United States
                      Member #1610
                      June 3, 2003
                      668 Posts
                      Posted: July 16, 2003, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

About 24 months after

... the lottery never fails to surprise!
                        Clarksville
                        United States
                        Member #487
                        July 15, 2002
                        17638 Posts
                        Posted: July 16, 2003, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

I went to the run box and typed in regsvr32 urlmon.dll and it said"file not found make sure paths and libraries are correct..I don't know anything about registry keys or anything like that...what do I do now.  I have already downloaded IE6 again...how do I check the registry??

luckycat's avatar - animaniacs24

United States
                          Member #1687
                          June 16, 2003
                          1047 Posts
                          Posted: July 16, 2003, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

go-lotto

I too cannot open links even on lp???? I used to be able to but upgraded to 6.01 and cant do now???  in regard to restore disk

I have a fax program that the  factory installed at their tech shop/so my ? is if use restore disk  will I lose my fax///? I sure cant do without that??and I have a icon on dt regard that.

isn't it unusual that there are a few here all experincing the same problem?? thanks for all info for little old lady,to our post I will reread.

also I have another  thing I see when open win98 it says900files

800 not scanned 100 clean I have scanned defrag ect/ and still comes up 800 not scanned or cvleaned any help with that??

appreciate all the feedback too

luckycat        >>>>>>>    purr-purr--purrfect                           

United States
                            Member #89
                            January 18, 2002
                            2092 Posts
                            Posted: July 16, 2003, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

Hi Littleoldlady and Donna, you can try what I do when this problem crops up.

First: check for viruses and eliminate them if any. Both the macro and desk top. All files, drives-C:,A:, and any disks. If you havn't done this before, now is a good time! Besure and check your downloads too. Next, if you have "RESTORE" in your system tools use it! You don't eliminate any files or programs it just restores your system to a time before your problems began. Then you can backtrack and find the critter that's causing problems and either "fix it" or remove the corresponding file by shutting down your pc and returning in "safe mode." Another thing to try is located on the internet start page-under help. There is a section that will get you going.

Teufellj

Pennsylvania
                              United States
                              Member #1340
                              April 6, 2003
                              2450 Posts
                              Posted: July 17, 2003, 6:41 am - IP Logged

try this... (fixes the correct path)

regsvr32 C:\windows\system32\urlmon.dll

or this (if the first does not work)...

regsvr32 C:\windows\system32\dllcache\urlmon.dll