Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 9:30 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

should megamillions change the rules

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 13 years ago by kbcherokee.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

different rules so mega gets bigger pots?

no - its hard enough to win [ 16 ]  [72.73%]
add an extra ball so its 53:53 [ 4 ]  [18.18%]
add just an extra white ball [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
add an extra mega ball [ 1 ]  [4.55%]
my wallet hurts [ 1 ]  [4.55%]
Total Valid Votes [ 22 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
Member #2338
September 17, 2003
2063 Posts
Posted: September 30, 2003, 11:36 pm - IP Logged

i'm tired of the smaller prizes that mega produces compared to powerball though i save alot by not playing unless it breaks 200 (which it never has so i've never bought a ticket) powerball has 53 white balls and only 42 red ones yet has bigger prizes (though i dont like playing in oregon because of the 9% income tax)

twisted's avatar - underground
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #2376
    September 25, 2003
    582 Posts
    Posted: September 30, 2003, 11:44 pm - IP Logged

I vote yes to add an extra ball so its 53:53.

New Jersey
      United States
      Member #2376
      September 25, 2003
      582 Posts
      Posted: September 30, 2003, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

when will texas officially join Mega Millions and when will they start selling Mega Million tickets?  Anyone know?

United States
        Member #1178
        February 22, 2003
        632 Posts
        Posted: September 30, 2003, 11:58 pm - IP Logged

I dont mind the prize amount on the Mega Millions myself, the amount of prizes for just $1.00 to spend is pretty good if you ask me. If you happen to win from $1.00 you can win $175,000, some people dont even make that in a year. If I won with just $1.00, Ill be happy with any prize amount.

I dont understand why anyone would want the game to change, its not going to make the game easier to win, nor is it going to lower the odds of the game. With 10 states involved 11 now, the odds will still be high no matter what. With more states, the greater prize amount of the Jackpot, with more states the greater odds youll get. With more Mega Balls, the harder it becomes to chose your own numbers and win. I say keep it the same, Im am happy with the prize amounts, I dont care if the prize amounts are higher or lower. As long as Mega Millions is around, and I am around to play, I will be happy with $1.00 win. Still, no matter if they change or keep it the same, all lotto game winners is pure luck.

New Jersey
          United States
          Member #2376
          September 25, 2003
          582 Posts
          Posted: October 1, 2003, 2:46 am - IP Logged
          Quote: Originally posted by dvdiva on October 01, 2003

i'm tired of the smaller prizes that mega produces compared to powerball though i save alot by not playing unless it breaks 200 (which it never has so i've never bought a ticket) powerball has 53 white balls and only 42 red ones yet has bigger prizes (though i dont like playing in oregon because of the 9% income tax)

Dvdiva if Powerball say goes over $200 mill, it would still be worth it for you even with the 9% sales tax from oregon.  You would still have enough money after taxes which you would not have otherwise, right?
            fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
            Member #91
            January 19, 2002
            11906 Posts
            Posted: October 1, 2003, 6:06 am - IP Logged

I dont understand why it would have to be over 200 million for you to play but the MM pays out better than PB....and its second tier prize is higher by $75,000....but to each his own.

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

United States
              Member #379
              June 5, 2002
              11296 Posts
              Posted: October 1, 2003, 7:56 am - IP Logged

Let's wait until after TX joins.

Bug's avatar - avatar php?userid=678402&dateline=1071851147

United States
                Member #788
                October 15, 2002
                471 Posts
                Posted: October 1, 2003, 9:46 am - IP Logged

Lottery tickets have always been a dollar. I know this wouldn't be popular among the heavy betters, but I wish they would raise the price of a ticket before they tweak the odds again. I am not sold on the idea, so what do you guys who bet heavy think?

Bug's avatar - avatar php?userid=678402&dateline=1071851147

United States
                  Member #788
                  October 15, 2002
                  471 Posts
                  Posted: October 1, 2003, 9:48 am - IP Logged

I hope that made sense. Perhaps a $1.25 for a ticket would get us more rollovers and keep the odds the same.

vincejr's avatar - wallace
                    Somewhere in VA
                    United States
                    Member #1944
                    July 29, 2003
                    130 Posts
                    Posted: October 1, 2003, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

The only reason to change the matrix is if the play handle at the lower jackpots covers more than 60% of the spread. Currently that is not the case, and will not be the case even when Texas begins selling near the end of October. However, it will be the case once another state (hellooooooooooo TN). When that happens, look for an increase in the "pick-5" section, not the mega ball.

Also, don't be fooled, dvdiva, the reason that PB jackpots seem to rise faster is that they pay out on a 30 year annuity as opposed to MM's 26 year annuity.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                      Member #2338
                      September 17, 2003
                      2063 Posts
                      Posted: October 1, 2003, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

well mega sold their game to washington (and im sure texas) to have large 300 million jackpots which they have never produced. also you only really win about 25-30% of the prize since you only win 50% or so and then only whats left after a min of 35% + local income tax so a 200mil prize is only 50 million in many states with an income tax. even with texas generating more sales the prizes will actually decrease since thats what happed to powerball exept powerball corrected their problem by having 53 white balls and now powerball still produces 300 mil jackpots.

states having big lotteries like this get more money from a single 300 mil jackpot game then they will make for the next 7 months in many cases. especially because once the game gets to a certain size it attracts players from neighboring states and for most people to drive the 150+ mile distance needed the prize has to be large (like above 200). as it is the prize is always really crappy for megamillions considering the odds and with more states it will just get worse. though i do appriciate the lack of loss im having in the wallet it would be nice to play for a half decent prize like what powerball has in my own state. if mega keeps having such poor prizes however and more money goes to oregon at least the lottery here might dump mega for powerball.

United States
                        Member #1178
                        February 22, 2003
                        632 Posts
                        Posted: October 1, 2003, 11:26 pm - IP Logged

You wouldnt be able to spend that much money in your life time, $3 million dollars alone can last you 20 years if you spent it wisely. In another note, you will not only be spending your winnings from a $1.00 purchase, collecting $200 million dollars, but you will also be spending the Interest each day too. Each day as the interest grows, so does your Jackpot prize amount! You wouldnt be happy with half of the winnings even if taxes were taken out? I sure would be! Your childrens children could never spend it!

I know one thing, I'll keep playing Mega Millions no matter how high the Jackpot is. I don't have greedy hands, I will be happy with just $175 win spending just $1.00.  I don't complain about Odds, especially if I win or lose. People know by playing lottory games  such as Mega or Powerball, that there will always be high Odds no matter what, and like I said high Odds or low Odds, winning is based on pure luck. 

United States
                          Member #972
                          December 30, 2002
                          465 Posts
                          Posted: October 2, 2003, 7:06 am - IP Logged

It seems that there are people who want a $300-400 million jackpot. Personally, I'll take the lowest jackpot they offer and even split it with someone, and I'll still end up with many times the money I have now.  But when you say you want a $300 million jackpot you are also saying this: I want to buy a ticket week after week after week but I don't want to win the jackpot.  I want to give my $1 away to make the game more "fun." If your goal is to win big, fine, that's a good goal - but why toss your $1 away until the jackpot is at an acceptable level? I have a season ticket, so I'm in for every drawing.  My point is this: people want to win the jackpot no matter what it is, whether it's $5 million or $500 million.  The lowest jackpot amount will transform your life and make things possible you never imagined before. 

Only the states and their greedy bean counters should care if the lottery is making "enough" money.  It shouldn't be my concern if they are upset because they don't make enough by not having huge jackpots often enough.  If they raise the odds again, that's it, I'm out.  

I suggest everyone get a season ticket if you live in a state that has them and not get more than one ticket per drawing. 

>i'm tired of the smaller prizes that mega produces compared to powerball though i save alot by not playing unless it breaks 200

Personally, I'm more tired of having to go to work every day, not being able to afford a $300,000 house with a pool and not being able to go to Australia, New Zealand and Fiji as often as I'd like.

New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #2376
                            September 25, 2003
                            582 Posts
                            Posted: October 2, 2003, 10:02 am - IP Logged

I agree with you Kristin an

United States
                              Member #1178
                              February 22, 2003
                              632 Posts