Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 12:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Real Question

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 13 years ago by dvdiva.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
USA
United States
Member #1849
July 15, 2003
265 Posts
Posted: October 10, 2003, 2:21 am - IP Logged

Hello all,

I'm curious, who do you think wins most lottery jackpots; those who plan and dream or casual people who just pick up a ticket on a whim. The reason as I ask is because the recent winner of MegaMillions just picked up a ticket on a whim, I think it's fair to say he's not like us in the he's not really into lotto but the jerk won. Hehe, joking I'm happy for him. It just seems funny to me how many people that win the jackpot are not regular players, planners or lotto dreamers like us. Do any of you think if a member here won they would coma back and tell everyone? I often ponder these thoughts and wonder how I can become a causual, thoughless player increasing my odds that way. LOL. Cheers all. Have a great day.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19813 Posts
    Posted: October 10, 2003, 3:28 am - IP Logged

I know a few people who don't think about winning the lottery and they don't buy tickets.  Even people who buy lottery tickets on a whim may not expect to win, but they are thinking 'it could happen' if I'm lucky.  A person buying a lottery ticket with no thought of winning is as rare a person going to work with no thought of being paid.

RJOh

USA
      United States
      Member #1849
      July 15, 2003
      265 Posts
      Posted: October 10, 2003, 4:20 am - IP Logged

I was pointing more towards the odds of winning aspect, as in those that hope more, play more, win less. It's as if I could increase my odds of winning by playing less or putting less thought into the amount of purchase and frequency.  Could that increase my odds in some miraculous formula, are you following me? An example would be that I have never heard, read, found anyone that has won using any system, formula or the like but I have heard many stories of 1 time players winning. Now that makes me think, hmmm. I agree otherwise, all purchasers of lotto think of the big "what if I win"!!!!

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
        Member #91
        January 19, 2002
        11904 Posts
        Posted: October 10, 2003, 9:07 am - IP Logged

it would be hard to find out what kind of %'s  there are for people who:

1. only played that first time & won

2. played quick pics when the jackpot hits a certain point and won

3. Played quick pics for years and finally won

4.  Played the same numbers for years and finally won

If you go to you'll find about 60 pages of stories on lottery winners...

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

megamillionaire's avatar - Sphere animated_small_ neg2.gif
          Queens, NY
          United States
          Member #245
          April 15, 2002
          451 Posts
          Posted: October 10, 2003, 10:35 am - IP Logged
          Quote: O

Megamillionaire

Time is a wonderful teacher, but it kills all its students.

A man must consider what a rich realm he leaves when he becomes a conformist.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
            Member #2338
            September 17, 2003
            2063 Posts
            Posted: October 10, 2003, 11:26 pm - IP Logged

i would believe that someone won on their first ticket only if they were either under 18 or had just turned 18 otherwise its alot like a chick saying she's a virgin for the umpteenth time. people who play the same numbers for years though - if you do that - dventually the one time you forget to play the odds that combo will come up are multiplied by 1000.