Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 11:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery winners giving away money.

Topic closed. 76 replies. Last post 13 years ago by goose.

Page 5 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

Do you think lottery winners should give away a large portion of their winnings?

Yes, Didn't they teach you to share in school? [ 20 ]  [29.85%]
Maybe a little, for tax purposes [ 22 ]  [32.84%]
No, finders keepers, what's mine is mine [ 25 ]  [37.31%]
Total Valid Votes [ 67 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 8 ]  
konane's avatar - wallace
Atlanta, GA
United States
Member #1265
March 13, 2003
3333 Posts
Posted: January 25, 2004, 10:42 am - IP Logged

It goes beyond positive and confident into visualizing a desired outcome.  It taps into quantum physics, also into what religious beliefs have taught for thousands of years and, yes, does work if you know how to use it. 

Techniques of how-to are most readily available in new age book stores, as many of the authors have been able to boil it down into simple terms. 

However, the outcome rests squarely upon the shoulder of persons learning how to use those techniques.  They are a very powerful assistant which helps magnify positive outcome when used with all the other actions we take. 

They do work because I've used them to create dvents, synchronisities and even lottery wins in my own life.

Good luck to everyone!

Wisconsin
    United States
    Member #1610
    June 3, 2003
    668 Posts
    Posted: January 25, 2004, 10:47 am - IP Logged

i agree that playing a set of numbers (or a number of sets if the jkpt is over a certain level) is basically all a person can do. choosing sets using whatever formula one desires and occasionally combining them with quick-picks seems to work well. beyond that...if and when one of those sets hits is beyond our control. but i always keep reminding myself (as basic as it sounds) that no matter what numbers might be on my ticket... all of the numbers are sitting in the drawing machine and all these numbers could theoretically be drawn.

as far as giving away money...

remember, if it's a quick-pick....the clerk did punch that button on the lottery terminal at the right moment to generate those winning numbers. that person was part of the two person team that produced your winning ticket. i'd say that deserves a tip!...a nice tip$:)

... the lottery never fails to surprise!
      four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8360 Posts
      Posted: January 25, 2004, 11:03 am - IP Logged

This topic is about giving away money won in the Lottery not picking or playing numbers.

please stick to the topic or start a new thread.

Atlanta, GA
        United States
        Member #1265
        March 13, 2003
        3333 Posts
        Posted: January 25, 2004, 11:43 am - IP Logged
        Quote: O

Good luck to everyone!

Wisconsin
          United States
          Member #1610
          June 3, 2003
          668 Posts
          Posted: January 25, 2004, 12:11 pm - IP Logged

i'm quite certain that i'd feel comfortable giving away one-percent of the gross prize to the person who sold me the ticket.  what's one-percent going to matter anyway?  i'm certainly not a philanthropist...but i'd just feel better doing this knowing that if it was a 10M Powerball win i'd be giving the store clerk the equivalent of a match 5 white on a PB ticket. if i win 10M ...i'd say they should get 100 thousand. if it was a $100M PB win...would i really miss the 1% or 1M that i'd give the person working behind the counter the day i bought my ticket? nope. and just think... that gift to them would allow them to change their life as well. i'd sleep better having done it. i'm giving this tip to the person who sold me the ticket...not the store owner - unless they should happen to be one in the same.

... the lottery never fails to surprise!
            Atlanta, GA
            United States
            Member #1265
            March 13, 2003
            3333 Posts
            Posted: January 25, 2004, 12:35 pm - IP Logged
            Quote: Originally posted by golotto on January 25, 2004

i'm quite certain that i'd feel comfortable giving away one-percent of the gross prize to the person who sold me the ticket.  what's one-percent going to matter anyway?  i'm certainly not a philanthropist...but i'd just feel better doing this knowing that if it was a 10M Powerball win i'd be giving the store clerk the equivalent of a match 5 white on a PB ticket. if i win 10M ...i'd say they should get 100 thousand. if it was a $100M PB win...would i really miss the 1% or 1M that i'd give the person working behind the counter the day i bought my ticket? nope. and just think... that gift to them would allow them to change their life as well. i'd sleep better having done it. i'm giving this tip to the person who sold me the ticket...not the store owner - unless they should happen to be one in the same.

Intended to comment on your post in my previous one ... yes, your idea is really good and  just might do something similar. 

Good luck to everyone!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19824 Posts
              Posted: January 25, 2004, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

If you like to give money away, you don't have to wait till you win the lottery.  Saying you would give something away that you don't have is a lot easier than actually giving away something that you have. 

RJOh 

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Jorli D's avatar - nw saucyelf2.jpg
                Michigan
                United States
                Member #2448
                October 4, 2003
                25884 Posts
                Posted: January 25, 2004, 4:42 pm - IP Logged
                Quote: Originally posted by golotto on January 25, 2004

Now you have another problem.  It's called a gift tax.  The recipient of your generous gift would have to pay taxes on the gift.  So the gift may not be as generous for the recipient when the tax bill comes.
                  JetSet9's avatar - archer

United States
                  Member #2253
                  September 5, 2003
                  24 Posts
                  Posted: January 25, 2004, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

I thought the person GIVI

Johnny5's avatar - japheth
                    Ocala
                    United States
                    Member #3015
                    December 13, 2003
                    70 Posts
                    Posted: January 27, 2004, 3:24 pm - IP Logged
                    Quote: Originally posted by Jorli D on January 25, 2004

Now you have another problem.  It's called a gift tax.  The recipient of your generous gift would have to pay taxes on the gift.  So the gift may not be as generous for the recipient when the tax bill comes.

I don't think you have to go through all that tax headache if you are cashing in the prize.

I also don't think you will be telling uncle sam that you just gave up 1% of your winnings so that they tax anyone.

But if you tell uncle sam.. that would not be a gift any more.. now would it?

Jorli D's avatar - nw saucyelf2.jpg
                      Michigan
                      United States
                      Member #2448
                      October 4, 2003
                      25884 Posts
                      Posted: January 27, 2004, 3:53 pm - IP Logged
                      Quote: Originally posted by Johnny5 on January 27, 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Jorli D on January 25, 2004

I don't think you have to go through all that tax headache if you are cashing in the prize.

I also don't think you will be telling uncle sam that you just gave up 1% of your winnings so that they tax anyone.

But if you tell uncle sam.. that would not be a gift any more.. now would it?

Johnny 5, the IRS sets an amount as a standard of being a taxable gift.  No, I suppose the recipient wouldn't have to report it.  However, if Uncle Sam finds out about this luxury gift, the recipients troubles will be more costly than the original gift.

We have a gift tax in this land, and unfortunately, it has to be paid on certain amounts.

China
                        Member #3032
                        December 16, 2003
                        1081 Posts
                        Posted: February 24, 2004, 11:26 pm - IP Logged
                        Quote: Originally posted by four4me on November 13, 2003

As my rich uncle once said. I didn't get rich giving my money away. He wore holy pants and bought second hand clothes. The guy was a real piece of work. All I have to say is the rich will never need there money when there gone. What good is it if they have all this money and don't spread it around. Sure if you have a large family by all means take care of them. But who is going to need 100 mil when your retired with no family.

how rich is he I am curious?
                          four4me's avatar - gate1
                          MD
                          United States
                          Member #1701
                          June 18, 2003
                          8360 Posts
                          Posted: February 24, 2004, 11:36 pm - IP Logged

Goose quoted four4me: how rich is he I am curious

Very he is/was a furniture designer owned his own outlet stores some farms and land. Started working when he was 9 years old and put in 20 hour days most of his life. All his children have their own money and have followed in his footsteps so to speak they are self made millionaires. My uncle is retired now and is in his late 80's but still gets around.  

China
                            Member #3032
                            December 16, 2003
                            1081 Posts
                            Posted: February 25, 2004, 1:32 am - IP Logged

what rich people often do at their leisure time in US.four4me?

four4me's avatar - gate1
                              MD
                              United States
                              Member #1701
                              June 18, 2003
                              8360 Posts
                              Posted: February 25, 2004, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

Goose wrote: what rich people often do at their leisure time in US.four4me?

Anything they want depending on how old and or healthy you are would depend on what one could or would do.