Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Pools - Your Thoughts??

Topic closed. 44 replies. Last post 13 years ago by Lottery_Analyst.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Ever played in a Lottery Pool and How do you feel about them?

Never played, and never would. [ 18 ]  [34.62%]
Never played, MIGHT like to try it. [ 8 ]  [15.38%]
Never played, WOULD like to try it. [ 2 ]  [3.85%]
Play sometimes. [ 11 ]  [21.15%]
Play often with family or coworkers. [ 13 ]  [25.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 52 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 12 ]  
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
484 Posts
Posted: November 24, 2003, 7:37 am - IP Logged

I think that one should always buy tickets alone, because fights break out in some groups over jackpots.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

Lottery_Analyst's avatar - Batman
    Georgia
    United States
    Member #1039
    January 15, 2003
    260 Posts
    Posted: November 24, 2003, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

Hi Todd and Everyone,

Thanks for the feedback and for voting.  I have decided to actually run the pool with no membership fees or charges. 

Plain and simple, I want to win a major lottery and in the process, help and share the experience with others. 

I've received a few emails from members that are interested in joining.  The only cost will be the price of the tickets we purchase, divided by the number of people in the pool.  I plan on writing up the rules and contract this weekend.  If you are interested in joining, please email me.  Lotto_dreamer2003@yahoo.com

Everyone have a Wonderful Thanksgiving....

Take Care....

John - Lottery Analyst

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19829 Posts
      Posted: November 24, 2003, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

Good luck John. 
      If you have never organized a lottery pool among friends and people you see every day, then you are in for a real lesson on dealing with people.
      RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

kbcherokee's avatar - buffalo2
        Virginia
        United States
        Member #1712
        June 20, 2003
        1549 Posts
        Posted: November 29, 2003, 7:10 pm - IP Logged

Teo:

My only thought's on your new business, and it will be a business, is how you will handle, first the money paid into buying the ticket's. Second, who will be the "holding" person for your Company?. Thirdly, How does a person guarentee his winnings if a winning ticket is purchased?.

How will you guarentee this venture?

I have only entered into a Pool with a friend or two at the most, and that was only a very few times.

Chief

May the warm winds of heaven blow softly upon your house. May  the Great Spirit bless all who enter there. May your mocassins make happy tracks in many snows. And may the rainbow always touch your shoulder.

fast eddie's avatar - lasvegas2
          Chicago,IL.
          United States
          Member #2902
          November 29, 2003
          1426 Posts
          Posted: November 29, 2003, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

Lottery pools with a close group of co-workers or friends are cool. But i'm weary of large group pools with people i dont know.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19829 Posts
            Posted: November 29, 2003, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

Before I retired I participated in several large pools for large jackpot amounts.  If a person is respected by his co-workers and friends as an honest and fair person who will make the effort to be fair to all the participants, he will have no trouble getting people who know him to join his pool.  If he can't do that, why would anyone who didn't know him want to give him their money?

RJOh 

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Georgia
              United States
              Member #1039
              January 15, 2003
              260 Posts
              Posted: November 30, 2003, 9:47 am - IP Logged

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your responses.  Here are some answers to your questions.

I have decided to start a pool or club and not a business.  There will be no fees or charges outside of what we agree upon as a club.  I am doing this simply because I want to win a major jackpot and I think the only way to really do this is by purchasing more tickets with others.  I don't mind sharing the jackpot with others. As a matter of fact, I think it would be more fun that way.  As I have mentioned before, I have won 5 of 6 in the GA Lotto on 3 different dates, and now I want to see what it feels like to win 6 of 6.

We will vote on how much we want to spend per drawing and how many drawings we will play per week.  Everything will be 100% in writing.  I have applied for an EIN# with the IRS and any winnings over $600.00 per person will be reported to the IRS and any winnings over $5,000.00, taxes will be withheld and paid to the IRS.  I am working on my website and all tickets will be posted on the website before each drawing. 

I don't want to talk anymore about the specifics of the group here.  Todd was kind enough to allow me one post on the subject and I don't want to wear out my welcome.  I love reading and posting on this board.  If you want to post comments about a lottery pool, that would be great.  If you want to ask me more questions though, please just email me at  georgia_lotto_club@yahoo.com.

Thanks to Everyone and God Bless and Happy Winnings....

LA - John

luckycat's avatar - animaniacs24

United States
                Member #1687
                June 16, 2003
                1047 Posts
                Posted: November 30, 2003, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

reading your posts  at the beginning/ you said no cost  just the price of a ticket/  now you say no costs EXCEPT WHAT IS AGREED ON AT THE CLUB.

so is there a cost other than a ticket ? or will the rules change>also

who buys and hold the tickets/ and will you post the ticket numbers pre drawing.

the bcc  has a pool contract I believe free to download if one wants to start a pool

thanks for info

luckycat        >>>>>>>    purr-purr--purrfect                           

Georgia
                  United States
                  Member #1039
                  January 15, 2003
                  260 Posts
                  Posted: November 30, 2003, 5:21 pm - IP Logged

Hi Luckycat,

When I refer to what is agreed upon at the club, I was referring to tickets only.  The club members will vote on how much the standard contribution for each member will be for each individual drawing.  In another words, how much it will cost for each drawing per member.  The choices are $2.00, $5.00 or $10.00 per drawing.  All the money will go towards purchasing tickets.  For example, if we decide on $5.00 per member and we have 10 members, All $50.00 collected will go towards purchasing the tickets for that draw.

THERE WILL BE NO ADDITIONAL CHARGES OUTSIDE OF THIS. 

I will purchase the tickets and store them in a bank safety deposit box and all numbers will be posted on the club website before every drawing. 

By the way Luckycat, I answered your email with the same questions.  You did not receive my reply?

If you have any other questions about the specifics of the club, please email me.

Thanks much,

John - LA

luckycat's avatar - animaniacs24

United States
                    Member #1687
                    June 16, 2003
                    1047 Posts
                    Posted: November 30, 2003, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

you said to refer to lottery post where most questions would be answered.

also after reading these post here it did sound different so thats why I questioned it.

thanks for clearing it up. nice to know/and ask before/rather to dissapointed.

green bucks to you

luckycat        >>>>>>>    purr-purr--purrfect                           

Georgia
                      United States
                      Member #1039
                      January 15, 2003
                      260 Posts
                      Posted: November 30, 2003, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

Sorry for the confusion....

Thanks,

John - LA

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                        Dump Water Florida
                        United States
                        Member #380
                        June 5, 2002
                        3104 Posts
                        Posted: November 30, 2003, 8:17 pm - IP Logged

The only reason you should want to form a pool would be if you have a specific strategy to win, but need more money to cover the plays so you start a club to bring in investors. 

The only reason people would join a club is in the hope the club has someone in charge who knows more about winning lotto then they do. 

The last thing you need is people voting on when and how to play, the strategy should cover that. 

There are costs, opening a bank account for the club, scanning tickets, etc.  these you should accept in order to play with other people's money.

Your plans both for club and winning should be 99% finalized before posting anything.  Winging it, learning and fixing as you go is like speed bumps on your road to success, makes people doubt your clarity of vision.

Buying more tickets in and of itself is worthless, a single ticket and 100 tickets have virtually the same zero chance of winning a jackpot, no kidding if your calculator doesn't go out enough zeros both answers come up zero. 

Telling people you use a system that resulted in several five number wins so far and only your lack of covering say a tighter wheel is holding you back would be the information people looking to win would be interested in.  BobP

JAZZY JASPER's avatar - scenery water_mountains.jpg

United States
                          Member #786
                          October 14, 2002
                          2723 Posts
                          Posted: December 15, 2003, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

Personally!

I'm, against them!

Why, buy into, a lot of 'potential problems'.

If you're 'lonely', buy, a dog!

"It's not easy, being, GREEN! "

United States
                            Member #379
                            June 5, 2002
                            11296 Posts
                            Posted: December 16, 2003, 8:20 am - IP Logged

The possible problems involving cash/annuity are one reason I don't want to get involved in lottery pools.

United States
                              Member #379
                              June 5, 2002
                              11296 Posts
                              Posted: December 18, 2003, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

Maybe Jack Whittaker is in a pool for the $116m draw 12/20?