Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 2:47 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you found a winning lottery ticket what would you do?

Topic closed. 81 replies. Last post 13 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 5 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

Give it to the lottery [ 2 ]  [2.04%]
Give it to the police [ 5 ]  [5.10%]
Give it to charity [ 1 ]  [1.02%]
Redeem it as your own ticket [ 73 ]  [74.49%]
Never turn it in to anyone [ 2 ]  [2.04%]
Other [ 15 ]  [15.31%]
Total Valid Votes [ 98 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 21 ]  
Mana's avatar - mana
Virginia Beach
United States
Member #3375
January 16, 2004
93 Posts
Posted: January 16, 2004, 4:21 pm - IP Logged

Quite honest I am as well. I'd keep and redeem it unless I'm told in private with no media hooplah about the ticket and show definate proof that it was theirs. (Mana here, needs a smoking gun!) That of course, is if it's unsigned.  I wouldn't even say I lost it. No need for anyone to know I found it.

If it's signed ... turning it to the lottery office to get it identified would be my course of action. For some reason, I dun trust the police with said tickets.

... insert witty quote here ...

... My behavior and apperance betrays my age ... but I'm good enough ...
besides, people in person would still be afraid to talk to meh, even if I had millions ^^;

Slovakia
    Member #3545
    January 30, 2004
    39 Posts
    Posted: January 30, 2004, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

I would cash it in like it was mine. I believe in destiny and if I found that it would mean that it was meant for me and not meant for someone who lost it.

Have a nice day

China
      Member #3032
      December 16, 2003
      1081 Posts
      Posted: March 1, 2004, 3:59 am - IP Logged

Give it to the lottery[ 1 ] [1.43%]
      Give it to the police[ 5 ] [7.14%]
      Give it to charity[ 1 ] [1.43%]
      Redeem it as your own ticket[ 49 ] [70.00%]
      Never turn it in to anyone[ 1 ] [1.43%]
      Other[ 13 ] [18.57%]
      Total Valid Votes[ 70 ] 
      Discarded Votes[ 10 ] 
      70% of people would like to redeem it as their own tickets,but I think it should be like 99%
        Columbia City, Indiana
        United States
        Member #2978
        December 9, 2003
        381 Posts
        Posted: March 1, 2004, 10:30 pm - IP Logged

What exactly is there to think about???

A lottery ticket is a bearer instrument, as is a twenty-dollar bill, and so by definition belongs to whomever is bearing it. Are you saying that if you found a twenty on the ground, you would dilligently seek the person who lost it? Granted, there are probably more people here who have found twenty dollars than found winning lottery tickets, but isn't the principle the same?

This just reinforces my belief that the majority of lottery players buy their tickets with no or very little expectation of winning. Hypothetically, if someone put a ten-million-dollar certified check in your hand, made out to "Cash," and then told you, "Don't cash this until after 9pm on Saturday," what are the chances you would lose track of that check anytime before the bank opens on Monday?

Give it to the police??? HA!!! Which planet do you live on??? That would only result in one or more "early retirements" from the police force, and you, the heroic, honest, upstanding and angelic pillar of the community are promptly dispatched to oblivion. Meanwhile, some ex-cop is lounging on a tropical beach sipping a mai-tai and laughing at you. The only thing you'll have left is a great story to tell your grandchildren, which turns out to be not-so-great when they tell their little friends that, if their grandfather hadn't been such a moron in his youth, they'd be rich by now. 

I'm just as pious as the next guy, but I really don't believe that God is in the heavens agonizing over who should win the lottery this week.

If you expect to win, treat your tickets as you would a cashier's check. Theoretically, every ticket's a winner right up until they draw the numbers. 

As far as I'm concerned, the ticket now belongs to me but, to be fair, I would refund the price of the ticket to the person who lost it. That way, my conscience is clear, since he's not actually out any money. My obligation to him ends there.

Of course, if I lost the ticket, I might feel differently...

Good luck

Jim

*tick*tick*tick*tick*tick*tick*tick..

Tang's avatar - abstract
          Atlanta, Georgia
          United States
          Member #465
          July 9, 2002
          2211 Posts
          Posted: March 2, 2004, 4:33 am - IP Logged

If there's no signature on the playslip, I would sign the playslip and cash it in! I would do some serious bill paying and shopping. I've always said that if I won a large amount of money, I would donate to a charity of my choice so I have a few that I would give money to after I took care of my family.

Don't forget to flip those 6's/9's.

United States
            Member #379
            June 5, 2002
            11296 Posts
            Posted: March 31, 2004, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

I'm not even sure if I'd tell Todd.

numbersman's avatar - pyramid
              NC
              United States
              Member #2418
              October 1, 2003
              375 Posts
              Posted: March 31, 2004, 3:41 pm - IP Logged

I would cash it in. If signed find owner and make a deal.

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
                Yinzer Country, PA
                United States
                Member #4067
                March 18, 2004
                2741 Posts
                Posted: March 31, 2004, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

i would cash it in.  in PA, as well as some other states, you need not have a press conference.  Some states even allow the winner to remain anonymous.  you would never need to tell where you got it, and even if they ask you, you can still say that you found it, and they won't care because it's whoever turns in the ticket gets the prize.  only if the ticket is signed would i go to the police.

Wet Dog's avatar - wallace
                  The Bible Belt
                  United States
                  Member #3803
                  February 22, 2004
                  26 Posts
                  Posted: April 7, 2004, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

If it were signed, I would probably hold it for ransome. So while the ticket is not legally mine and I didn't invest any of my own money, the ticket would be in my hands. It's not my responsibility to keep up with what they purchased. "Finders keepers" I think I would be intitled to a least 25% finders fee. Maybe more.  Of course, I'd hold it for a long time. Long enough for an offer to be made to the one who finds the ticket. So that I dont apear to be the money grubber that I am. By the 160th day, I'd make a call, via calling card to inform the rightfull owner that I might have the ticket. And maybe we'd make a deal.

United States
                    Member #4260
                    April 5, 2004
                    52 Posts
                    Posted: April 7, 2004, 8:42 pm - IP Logged

Just cash in it!

repat's avatar - praying hands.jpg

United States
                      Member #3738
                      February 16, 2004
                      34 Posts
                      Posted: April 8, 2004, 9:28 am - IP Logged

Why take all the money ? It's a windfall . Split 50/50 with the real winner is the RIGHT ANSWER .

Jake649's avatar - scene sunovermountains.jpg

Canada
                        Member #2673
                        November 2, 2003
                        497 Posts
                        Posted: April 8, 2004, 12:46 pm - IP Logged
                        Quote: Originally posted by repat on April 08, 2004

Why take all the money ? It's a windfall . Split 50/50 with the real winner is the RIGHT ANSWER .

That is a contradiction of terms. If you could find the real winner, then the real winner would deserve the entire amount. The finder would be given a reward based on the discretion of the real winner.

Good luck,
                        Jake

felinelover's avatar - nw elf4.jpg
                          Florida
                          United States
                          Member #2118
                          August 19, 2003
                          39 Posts
                          Posted: April 8, 2004, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

Cash it in, of course. Who would give me back my winning ticket if I lost it?  I also have found winning scratch tickets all over the place that people didn't read correctly or didn't scratch off completely.

Melbourne
                            Australia
                            Member #3717
                            February 14, 2004
                            41 Posts
                            Posted: April 8, 2004, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

Over here in Australia, this is not really an issue.  In Victoria, Tattersalls (the company that runs the lotteries) has a system where you can register as a member and when you do, you get a card that looks a bit like a credit card on which your details are stored.

When you go in to buy tickets, they swipe the card first and your entry details are stored on their system and linked to your card so, the next time you visit a retail outlet, if you've won a prize, the system lets the seller (and you) know.

Best of all, even if you lose the ticket, they will send you a cheque after 4 weeks.

United States
                              Member #379
                              June 5, 2002
                              11296 Posts
                              Posted: April 30, 2004, 4:11 pm - IP Logged

60 votes for a specific answer!