Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you found a winning lottery ticket what would you do?

Topic closed. 81 replies. Last post 13 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 3 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

If you found a winning lottery ticket what would you do?

Give it to the lottery [ 2 ]  [2.04%]
Give it to the police [ 5 ]  [5.10%]
Give it to charity [ 1 ]  [1.02%]
Redeem it as your own ticket [ 73 ]  [74.49%]
Never turn it in to anyone [ 2 ]  [2.04%]
Other [ 15 ]  [15.31%]
Total Valid Votes [ 98 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 21 ]  
LaurainMass's avatar - strawberry
Boston,Massachusetts
United States
Member #2924
December 2, 2003
65 Posts
Posted: January 11, 2004, 12:44 pm - IP Logged

I say it is not good to rob anyone of anything.I would call WBZ camera crew and anchor so they can film me turning the ticket over to the Police,I would place the whereabouts ( location ) of where I found the Ticket in a sealed envelope along with the ticket.Whoever claims the ticket will know where they purchased it and probably where that ticket was lost.Then when it's time to claim it,not even the lottery would know where the ticket was lost until then.All they would know is where the ticket was played.But,thou shat not steal nor shall thou covet.

Laurajean

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
    Pennsylvania
    United States
    Member #1340
    April 6, 2003
    2450 Posts
    Posted: January 11, 2004, 12:47 pm - IP Logged

I don't think "Thou Shalt Not Find and prosper" is in there anywhere...

Winning or finding a winner... 2 things I'll probably never do...

back to the numbers...

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

megamillionaire's avatar - Sphere animated_small_ neg2.gif
      Queens, NY
      United States
      Member #245
      April 15, 2002
      451 Posts
      Posted: January 11, 2004, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

If the ticket is a QP odds are the person who bought it and lost it has no clue what the numbers are. I buy QP's and never look at the numbers till the drawing. I also buy my own picks and usually use a card to put in the machine. That way I have proof of all the numbers on the winning ticket.

So if I find a QP and it's a winner, it's mine. If I find a ticket with numbers picked buy an individual and more than one set of numbers on the ticket, I'd ask the lottery officials to see if the person who comes forward stating he/she lost it has the card used by the machine to print the ticket that way they can check the card against the ticket to verify if this is truly the winner. Only the original ticket buyer would have the winning numbers and all the non-winning numbers on the card used to buy the ticket. You can't do this with a ticket with only one set of numbers because anyone can claim it's theirs. Then I cash it in also.

Megamillionaire

Time is a wonderful teacher, but it kills all its students.

A man must consider what a rich realm he leaves when he becomes a conformist.

Thomas Covenant's avatar - money
        South Carolina
        United States
        Member #491
        July 16, 2002
        837 Posts
        Posted: January 11, 2004, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

>>>If I find a ticket with numbers picked buy an individual and more than one set of numbers on the ticket, I'd ask the lottery officials to see if the person who comes forward stating he/she lost it has the card used by the machine to print the ticket that way they can check the card against the ticket to verify if this is truly the winner.<<<

It really wouldn't be up to you to decided what another person needs to claim the ticket you found. It would be decided in court. If anyone found out that you found the ticket, expect multiple lawsuits. Period.

Okay, now I believe you can predict lottery numbers

Calscorp's avatar - dnk st
          Bakersfield
          United States
          Member #1568
          May 24, 2003
          421 Posts
          Posted: January 11, 2004, 10:02 pm - IP Logged

What do you think the odds are that anyone of us would actually find a winning lottery ticket? lol

JADELottery's avatar - MeAtWork 03.PNG
            The Quantum Master
            West Concord, MN
            United States
            Member #21
            December 7, 2001
            3675 Posts
            Posted: January 11, 2004, 10:23 pm - IP Logged

Unless the back of the ticket is signed by someone, that ticket is up for grabs by anyone even if you didn't lose it. Retailers are not required to memorize every ticket sold, every combinatorial set on each ticket, and every person they sell it to. The ticket is the only proof of a win and if you don't sign the back of the ticket, it can be claimed by anyone.

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
            Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
            Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
            Knowledge is Beyond Belief
            Wisdom is Not Censored
            Douglas Paul Smallish
            Jehocifer

four4me's avatar - gate1
              MD
              United States
              Member #1701
              June 18, 2003
              8363 Posts
              Posted: January 11, 2004, 11:09 pm - IP Logged

What do you think the odds are that anyone of us would actually find a winning lottery ticket? lol

Just go to your local lottery retailer and ask for the bucket or trash can that people throw there scratch off's in I'm willing to bet that somebody threw away a winning ticket. I asked a retailer for them because I needed them for tax purposes he used to give them to me. After work I would go thru them and find a couple dollars once in about every three pickups. One time I scratched the bonus area that someone forgot to scratch and it was a fifty dollar winner. You would be surprised how so many people in a hurry throw them away either because they were disappointed they didn't hit or couldn't understand how to read the winning instructions. many retailers already know about this and go thru them for themselves so it might be hard to find a retailer that will give them to you.

United States
                Member #379
                June 5, 2002
                11296 Posts
                Posted: January 12, 2004, 11:14 am - IP Logged

Everybody's favorite CHARITY is themself.

Calscorp's avatar - dnk st
                  Bakersfield
                  United States
                  Member #1568
                  May 24, 2003
                  421 Posts
                  Posted: January 12, 2004, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

Actually, there is a gentleman that wins all the time on the scratchers that are thrown away at a store I frequent.  He probably doesn't even buy them. He started the new year out with a $100 scratcher. I keep telling him to buy a lotto ticket. I don't know if he plays. But I would say if anyone I know would find a huge jackpot winner on the lottery this would be the man. And he would claim it.  What about the jackpots that do not get claimed? Tickets lost? But never found?

four4me's avatar - gate1
                    MD
                    United States
                    Member #1701
                    June 18, 2003
                    8363 Posts
                    Posted: January 12, 2004, 9:43 pm - IP Logged

What about the jackpots that do not get claimed? Tickets lost? But never found?

It goes back into the lottery fund

Wisconsin
                      United States
                      Member #1610
                      June 3, 2003
                      668 Posts
                      Posted: January 12, 2004, 10:17 pm - IP Logged

yes, hopefully returned back into the prize purse for the lottery players. bigger jackpots will result in more ticket sales.

... the lottery never fails to surprise!
                        four4me's avatar - gate1
                        MD
                        United States
                        Member #1701
                        June 18, 2003
                        8363 Posts
                        Posted: January 13, 2004, 4:29 am - IP Logged

yes, hopefully returned back into the prize purse for the lottery players. bigger jackpots will result in more ticket sales.

No, it goes into the general fund supposedly. The players may see some of it in the form of special promotions. But I think it is absorbed into whatever programs the states lottery supports.

WILLSELL's avatar - chi
                          NJ
                          United States
                          Member #1924
                          July 28, 2003
                          113 Posts
                          Posted: January 13, 2004, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

At least 73% of the voters are honest. If I found a ticket I would head for the hills(cash it asap). I would feel some remorse for the poor sap that lost it . But devine intervention says it was my destiny to find and therefore cash the ticket.

For the fools that said they would turn it in to the police . I have some prime realestate for sale near the golden gate bridge.  Why make some cop a happy camper?

Bryan's avatar - Lottery-002.jpg
                            Mid-Missouri
                            United States
                            Member #644
                            August 31, 2002
                            4271 Posts
                            Posted: January 13, 2004, 8:40 pm - IP Logged

If "Devine Intervention" wanted you to have the money then you would simply win on a ticket you purchased yourself. More than likely no controversy there. But if you found a ticket did you ever stop to think it could be a test of your character to find out how far you would go to do the right thing, no matter the outcome...

Just a thought,

Bryan  :)

WILLSELL's avatar - chi
                              NJ
                              United States
                              Member #1924
                              July 28, 2003
                              113 Posts
                              Posted: January 13, 2004, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

I don't think finding a windfall has anything to do with test of character.

What is the difference between finding a 2.00 winner and a 200,000 winner?

Oh sure I could be a good samaritan and ask the newpaper to help me find the real owner right?  I don't think so. Well maybe ...I could say I found a ticket not that it was a winner...then who would lay claim? probably 0 . But if I announce a winning ticket ...watch them come out of the woodwork.

Fortunately my bank account has no concience.

What's character got to do with it? Nada