Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Georgia to sell tickets online

Topic closed. 41 replies. Last post 13 years ago by plnwebguy.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
Dump Water Florida
United States
Member #380
June 5, 2002
3104 Posts
Posted: March 8, 2004, 1:54 am - IP Logged

Well it looks like Georgia is getting serious about selling lottery tickets online.

http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/030504/gen_lotto.shtml

I'm not so sure how good an idea this is security wise for players using credit cards the way the web is now.  What could work would be if retailers could charge up cards like they do phone cards for people to use online, so you don't have to visit the store daily to play your numbers with gas going over $2.00 a gallon.  BobP

China
    Member #3032
    December 16, 2003
    1081 Posts
    Posted: March 8, 2004, 5:40 am - IP Logged

people from georgia,stand out and let us know plz

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23267 Posts
      Posted: March 8, 2004, 8:34 am - IP Logged

I hate to burst your bubble, but don't expect this any time soon.  I'm not sure what point this will break down, but you heard it here first: don't expect it to happen anytime soon.

And Lottery Analyst: this proposal is only for Georgia residents to play Georgia games.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

numbersman's avatar - pyramid
        NC
        United States
        Member #2418
        October 1, 2003
        375 Posts
        Posted: March 8, 2004, 8:50 am - IP Logged

Mega Bucks and Mass Million allows out of State player to play using the telephone now.

China
          Member #3032
          December 16, 2003
          1081 Posts
          Posted: March 8, 2004, 9:05 am - IP Logged
          Quote: Originally posted by numbersman on March 08, 2004

Mega Bucks and Mass Million allows out of State player to play using the telephone now.

where did you hear it from?

China
            Member #3032
            December 16, 2003
            1081 Posts
            Posted: March 8, 2004, 9:07 am - IP Logged

don't expect it to happen anytime soon.

what does"it" refer to?I dont understand

Lottery_Analyst's avatar - Batman
              Georgia
              United States
              Member #1039
              January 15, 2003
              260 Posts
              Posted: March 8, 2004, 9:14 am - IP Logged

Hi Todd,

I respectifully disagree to both your comments.  First of all, Georgia has a serious situation with their HOPE scholarship fund and this apparently would help so I doubt they would wait long to get it started.  Although we both know the government red tape, still I think they will act fast on it, maybe within 6 months or less.

Secondly, as far as it being for Georgia only. I believe that is incorrect.  I am looking now for a copy of the actually bill, but here is a quote from Senator Ron Stephens.  "What this bill would do is potentially open it up to the entire country or to the entire world as far as that goes for somebody that wants to buy a lottery ticket," said Sen. Ron Stephens, R-District 123." 

Anyway, I will provide more details once I get them.  Again, this is potentially Lottery industry changing news.  It passed in the House overwhelming 132 to 32 and they expect to pass in the Senate as well.

Thanks,

LA

China
                Member #3032
                December 16, 2003
                1081 Posts
                Posted: March 8, 2004, 9:30 am - IP Logged
                Quote: Originally posted by Lottery_Analyst on March 08, 2004

Hi Todd,

I respectifully disagree to both your comments.  First of all, Georgia has a serious situation with their HOPE scholarship fund and this apparently would help so I doubt they would wait long to get it started.  Although we both know the government red tape, still I think they will act fast on it, maybe within 6 months or less.

Secondly, as far as it being for Georgia only. I believe that is incorrect.  I am looking now for a copy of the actually bill, but here is a quote from Senator Ron Stephens.  "What this bill would do is potentially open it up to the entire country or to the entire world as far as that goes for somebody that wants to buy a lottery ticket," said Sen. Ron Stephens, R-District 123." 

Anyway, I will provide more details once I get them.  Again, this is potentially Lottery industry changing news.  It passed in the House overwhelming 132 to 32 and they expect to pass in the Senate as well.

Thanks,

LA

Thats a wonderful news for me.
                  Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23267 Posts
                  Posted: March 8, 2004, 10:14 am - IP Logged
                  Quote: O

plnwebguy's avatar - binary

United States
                    Member #3680
                    February 11, 2004
                    187 Posts
                    Posted: March 8, 2004, 11:03 am - IP Logged
                    Quote: Originally posted by Lottery_Analyst on March 08, 2004

snipped...

Secondly, as far as it being for Georgia only. I believe that is incorrect.  I am looking now for a copy of the actually bill, 

Here's the bill:

http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2003_04/fulltext/hb1272.htm

It amends other legislation.  The first part amends ways to buy tickets - looks like it would make buying with credit card legal whether it was online or in person, and the second section amends how tickets could be bought.  With respect to who can buy tickets (Georgia residents only, etc) that is addressed in the 2nd paragraph in Section 2.  Instead of saying who can buy in the legislation, it would give the current board the power to decide.

plnwebguy

China
                      Member #3032
                      December 16, 2003
                      1081 Posts
                      Posted: March 8, 2004, 11:13 am - IP Logged

Here's the bill:

http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2003_04/fulltext/hb1272.htm

from section two

The corporation is authorized to establish a financial account designed so that any person who is eligible to purchase Georgia lottery tickets can establish an individual account with Internet access and the ability to monitor and make deposits into the account

So could a non-georgia resident have an account to play georgia lottery?

United States
                        Member #3680
                        February 11, 2004
                        187 Posts
                        Posted: March 8, 2004, 11:21 am - IP Logged
                        Quote: Originally posted by goose on March 08, 2004

snipped...

So could a non-georgia resident have an account to play georgia lottery?

goose,

the bill gives the final say on that to the lottery board, so even if the bill did pass, that part wouldn't be known until the board met and made it's decision.

plnwebguy

Chief Bottle Washer
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #1
                          May 31, 2000
                          23267 Posts
                          Posted: March 8, 2004, 11:23 am - IP Logged

The whole thing is a moot point, because it won't pass the Georgia Senate.  It may not even come up for a vote.

United States
                            Member #3680
                            February 11, 2004
                            187 Posts
                            Posted: March 8, 2004, 11:30 am - IP Logged

I don't think it will pass either - too much politics involved.  Regardless of location, a lot of times one part of the legislature will pass things knowing the second part will kill it.  That way they keep proponents happy by passing it in one place and keep the opponents (like the convenience store owners in this case) happy by killing it and not making it law.   Good ole politics in motion.

I do think it's an interesting groundwork for future legislation thoughout the country and other states will look at what happens in Georgia as an example though - we'll see.

plnwebguy

United States
                              Member #3680
                              February 11, 2004
                              187 Posts
                              Posted: March 8, 2004, 12:07 pm - IP Logged
                              Quote: Originally posted by plnwebguy on March 08, 2004

I do think it's an interesting groundwork for future legislation thoughout the country and other states will look at what happens in Georgia as an example though - we'll see.

I forgot to include the US Congress in the formula :)  Here's an interesting article that talks about even if Georgia did make it law, one bill making it's way through the US Congress would prohibit online gambling.  It sounds like the legislation has been tied up in Congress for awhile, so who knows, but here's the link to the article as well as a snippet from it:

http://www.accessnorthga.com/news/ap_newfullstory.asp?ID=33145

Even if Georgia officials agree to set up an online lottery, Congress might pull the plug on the idea.

While there is currently nothing illegal about a state making a lottery available to its own residents via the Internet, a measure moving through the U.S. Senate could change that.

The proposal, which the Senate Banking Committee unanimously approved in July, would prohibit all online gaming in the United States _ even state-run games with controls on out-of-state participants.

While the bill by Arizona Republican Jon Kyl would prohibit an online state lottery, a different version approved by the House would allow it, provided Georgia limits it to Georgians (as current law already requires). Its one of several differences between the bills that would have to be sorted out in negotiations, assuming the Senate ever approves Kyls legislation.

plnwebguy