Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:34 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Let's be totally stupid

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 12 years ago by Colin F.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Stuart, Florida
United States
Member #2533
October 16, 2003
34 Posts
Posted: June 29, 2004, 6:57 am - IP Logged

Let's say I was a stupid idiot, and I played all 1,000 pick-3 numbers every draw. Guess what would happen??... Yep, That's right... I'd hit the correct number EVERY SINGLE TIME. This is not a Polish Joke... I am DEAD SERIOUS! If I played 100% of all the combinations, I would 'pick" the correct number 100% of the time. I hope you all agree so far. It's like the two guys who would drive 100 miles and buy a truck-load of watermellons for one dollar each. Then they would drive 100 miles back into the city and sell them for one dollar each. After about a month of hard work, one guy says to the other... "HEY.... we're not making any money".... the other guys says "Yeah, I think we need a bigger truck"..

UH DUH... The odds of winning (1,000 to 1)  do not equal the Pay-Out odds (500 to 1). Otherwise the state lotteries wouldn't be in business. I really hope you're not having any trouble following the idea.

So what's my point? Well.. I STILL think there is a chance to win money at this game. What makes so many people play this game is that they can't tell the difference between picking the correct number and "WINNING MONEY". They have no clue what the difference is.

If you're interested in followning me and my "thoughts".. simply reply here with your screen name and I'll continue. Otherwise, I won't bother to waste my keystrokes. Even if you'd like to argue with me... Let's Rock N Roll...

Australia
    Member #3084
    December 22, 2003
    328 Posts
    Posted: June 29, 2004, 9:25 am - IP Logged

Kp2o3

I got to many headaches trying to figure MrSteel01 out. You would definitely give me a migraine.

However, there is hope because I think you and MrSteel01 are soul mates. What do you reckon MrSteel01, do you both speak the same lingo?

Your invitation is spurned; one of the conclusions I reached a long time ago is that it is stupid to argue with a stupid person because they are too stupid to recognise their own stupidity so why should one expect them to follow anything that was anything other than stupid.

Have a nice day.

Colin

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
      Tx
      United States
      Member #4570
      May 4, 2004
      5180 Posts
      Posted: June 29, 2004, 10:06 am - IP Logged

Colin F

What's wrong with you today?

Let the man speak and make his point, after all, he is not talking to you, but to everybody and some other people might want to hear, stupid or not, let others make their own minds about it.

Nice day to both of you.

Stuart, Florida
        United States
        Member #2533
        October 16, 2003
        34 Posts
        Posted: June 29, 2004, 12:23 pm - IP Logged

That's ok. No biggie. I know I loose people with my stupid explanations. It's my fault. I'll post again later when I have more time.  Peter C.

Zeno's avatar - ummm
          Somewhere in Washington
          United States
          Member #3103
          December 24, 2003
          51 Posts
          Posted: June 30, 2004, 1:22 am - IP Logged

You're dead on Kp2o3.  If you play pick-3, you will lose, it is unavoidable.  What if somebody walked up to you and said, "I have a great deal for you!  For every dollar you give me I will give you 50 cents."  Every day many people accept such an offer.

Stuart, Florida
            United States
            Member #2533
            October 16, 2003
            34 Posts
            Posted: June 30, 2004, 9:17 pm - IP Logged

But what if i told you that you can play a few times a year when something is out of wack. Wouldn't you think all numbers have to hit at "some point in time". After 16 years, the FL Cash-3 still has two straight numbers that have never hit. (652 and 494). If they went 5,800 draws without hitting, can they go ANOTHER 5,800 draws?? What do you think?

Peter C.

Quote: Originally posted by Zeno on June 30, 2004

You're dead on Kp2o3.  If you play pick-3, you will lose, it is unavoidable.  What if somebody walked up to you and said, "I have a great deal for you!  For every dollar you give me I will give you 50 cents."  Every day many people accept such an offer.

S.Windsor, CT
              United States
              Member #4580
              May 4, 2004
              119 Posts
              Posted: July 1, 2004, 7:59 am - IP Logged

The laws of probability predict that after 5800 draws there is likely to be 3.0 nbrs not

yet drawn. After 7500 draws ther ewould be 0.55 nbrs not drawn and after 8000 draws

there would be 0.3 nbrs not yet drawn.

Bertil

China
                Member #5361
                July 1, 2004
                17 Posts
                Posted: July 3, 2004, 7:31 am - IP Logged

I agree kp2o3, But the human behavior is not so simple.

Stuart, Florida
                  United States
                  Member #2533
                  October 16, 2003
                  34 Posts
                  Posted: July 3, 2004, 5:11 pm - IP Logged
                  Quote: Originally posted by Bertil on July 01, 2004

The laws of probability predict that after 5800 draws there is likely to be 3.0 nbrs not

yet drawn. After 7500 draws ther ewould be 0.55 nbrs not drawn and after 8000 draws

there would be 0.3 nbrs not yet drawn.

Bertil

Stuart, Florida
                    United States
                    Member #2533
                    October 16, 2003
                    34 Posts
                    Posted: July 3, 2004, 5:28 pm - IP Logged
                    Quote: Originally posted by Bertil on July 01, 2004

The laws of probability predict that after 5800 draws there is likely to be 3.0 nbrs not yet drawn. After 7500 draws ther ewould be 0.55 nbrs not drawn and after 8000 draws there would be 0.3 nbrs not yet drawn.

Bertil

Yes... you're right. How did you come to this conclusion? I am working with "models" of the Pick-3. I am downlowading 10,000 single digit numbers from www.random.org . Then I do it twice more and lay the numbers in 3 columns to emulate three machines like all the pick 3 games. Now I have 10,000 3-digit numbers. I am finding out some pretty interesting stuff. I have 4 models so far. My goal is 100 models. My specialty is tracking "groups" of numbers, and how long is the longest time the group can POSSIBLY stay away. In one model, the number "1" stayed away in the first column for 116 draws. In the FL Cash-3, the 6-way box "347" stayed away 1350 draws. I am studying "how long can different things possibly STAY AWAY". What is the longest period of time any 6-way box went without hitting in YOUR Pick-3??????????

I hate these message boards. We should stary a "Pick-3" mailing list.

Peter C.  -  Stuart FL

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                      Dump Water Florida
                      United States
                      Member #380
                      June 5, 2002
                      3103 Posts
                      Posted: July 4, 2004, 3:38 am - IP Logged

Don't count on useful Pick-3 information coming out of a computer r.n.g. because the two aren't even close.

The lottery doesn't select one ballset and machine to conduct 10,000 draws from.  It's really like dozens of random number generation threads are twisted or woven together for each column to get the string of drawings we see. 

Let's say there are 21 ballsets and 7 machines, that's 147 different draw generators contributing to the draw history and that's only good up to the point where they make a replacement, then all bets are off.

Despite this attempt to randomize the lottery the actual result is a history of drawings that reaches out for wobbley stability rather then chaos.

For some reason for some people this dance of the numbers forms a pattern good enough to put money on.  You won't find it looking somewhere else.

BobP

Stuart, Florida
                        United States
                        Member #2533
                        October 16, 2003
                        34 Posts
                        Posted: July 4, 2004, 6:11 am - IP Logged

Ok,,, but you went over my head with your college level vocabulary. I understand about the use of different machines PLUS using different ball sets, but what I don't understand is why you think the numbers drawn are not random, or do not form a random "string"? I don't care if they use 500 different machines and 500 different ball sets. (unless you're one of the ones that believe that amount of PAINT used on the ball determins which balls pops up more often). The number "1" uses less paint than an 8, so "1" pops up more often??... I don't believe that.

In any case, then WHY do my modles "resemble" each other?

For example, lets look at the maximum draws any single digit can stay OUT of the 3 digits drawn. In the Florida Cash-3, the MAX was 103 draws with no "1" in the first column. In my model-001 the number "9" in the third column went 108 draws without being drawn, and 3 other modles show 109, 110 and 116 as max draws without a particular number being drawn in a column.

So according to you... what do you think the maximum draws would be for a single digit to stay OUT??  200 draws?, 300, 500.. Is it possible fir a single digit to stay out 1,000 draws? I think not. WHERE is the point where it is no longer possible? On the other end of the spectrum, what is the max draws that a single digit can appear in succession? 7 draws, 10 draws, 20, 30? The most I've found is 6 draws in a row. I am into studying "tolerances". "I" think... Changing machines and ball sets has nothing to withh the price of tea in China. Everytime a ball pops up, it pops up at random. I'm open minded, so I'd like to hear what you have to say. Just take it easy with the fancy words. I never graduated high school.

Peter C.  Stuart, FL

Quote: Originally posted by BobP on July 04, 2004

Don't count on useful Pick-3 information coming out of a computer r.n.g. because the two aren't even close.

The lottery doesn't select one ballset and machine to conduct 10,000 draws from.  It's really like dozens of random number generation threads are twisted or woven together for each column to get the string of drawings we see. 

Let's say there are 21 ballsets and 7 machines, that's 147 different draw generators contributing to the draw history and that's only good up to the point where they make a replacement, then all bets are off.

Despite this attempt to randomize the lottery the actual result is a history of drawings that reaches out for wobbley stability rather then chaos.

For some reason for some people this dance of the numbers forms a pattern good enough to put money on.  You won't find it looking somewhere else.

BobP

Australia
                          Member #3084
                          December 22, 2003
                          328 Posts
                          Posted: July 4, 2004, 10:44 am - IP Logged

Kp203

Don't worry about the College vocabulary because there is nothing in there that makes sense.

You want to know about Wheels and Lotto, BobP is a very knowledgeable man. When it come to randomness and the physical apparatus involved BobP has ideas that are not shared by me and I think a few others to. ( I thought after the last episode that he had conceded he was wrong and changed his mind on some of these fantasies.)

Let's see -

And what about the Lotto Operators that use Computer generated numbers?

There is no sense in this paragraph, whatsoever. 

Ballset changes are in the main cosmetic.

The Lottery consists of equal opportunity Random Numbers drawn from a given range, period.

Dance of the numbers - maybe whirling dervishes? What's he been drinking or puffing?

Colin

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                            Tx
                            United States
                            Member #4570
                            May 4, 2004
                            5180 Posts
                            Posted: July 5, 2004, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

I have said it before and will say it again, it does not matter how the hell they get the numbers, in the end all that matters are the numbers themselves regardless of how the hell they got them in the first place.

The history of the draws, that's all that you have in the end and that's all that you need to get the winning number(s) with.

That's all that you have to work with for the most part, that's what you need to use to get the number.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

Stuart, Florida
                              United States
                              Member #2533
                              October 16, 2003
                              34 Posts
                              Posted: July 5, 2004, 7:27 pm - IP Logged
                              Quote: Originally posted by LANTERN on July 05, 2004

The history of the draws, that's all that you have in the end and that's all that you need to get the winning number(s) with.

That's all that you have to work with for the most part, that's what you need to use to get the number.

The history files only show you where your Lotto has BEEN, not where it's GOING. Better to look at what's happened in the history files of ALL the states. Then you can get a feel of what CAN happen. (maybe)

If you play more than a few times a year. You'll be a looser at this game.