Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 12:55 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Increasing the chances

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 12 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #5387
July 2, 2004
28 Posts
Posted: July 5, 2004, 9:01 am - IP Logged

I read about a month ago a article on the megamillion's website about how many tickets you would need to buy to have any chance at winning the lottery it was something like 2 million tickets you have to get.they siad whether you buy one ticket or three hundred tickets your chances are still the same and they don,t increase at all. this is why i stick to only buying 5 tickets. i was in the store down the street from me two months ago and there was this guy in front of me who spent $650.00 on the CASH 5 LOTTERY in N.J. which was $870.000.00 at the time. the idiot didn't hit nothing there were two winners that split the winnings one ticket was brought from Union County NJ and the other was from Ocean County NJ. he brought his tickets from Burlington County NJ. in fact most of the lottery winners only buy one thru five tickets. Jack Whiticker brought one ticket. from what i remember there was only one winner who hit the mega millions who brought $100.00 worth of tickets i forgot his name his story was he went in the store to buy a hotdog and told the clerk give me one hundred lottery tickets.and there was also in 2001 the pool of 36 players that hit from Ocean County NJ who worked in a Acme store in Brick NJ they brought 360 tickets and hit the jackpot. they split the winnings which was $700.000.00 each none of them didn't quit there jobs at Acme they still work there.

United States
    Member #5347
    June 30, 2004
    38 Posts
    Posted: July 5, 2004, 9:24 am - IP Logged

It's bull crap.  If you buy more tickets you increase your odds very slightly.  Obviously the best way to increase your odds is to cover all the Mega/Power balls.  If you cover every MB you improve your odds of 1 in 135 mill to 1 in 2.6 mill.

rabbitfoot's avatar - 8ball

United States
      Member #620
      August 25, 2002
      205 Posts
      Posted: July 5, 2004, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

Buy 1 ticket and you have 1 chance.  Buy 2 tickets and you have 2 chances.  Buy 3 tickets and you have 3 chance.  buy 200 million tickets and you have 200 chances.  But, there is no guarantee that you willl win anything big.

I play to dream and dream of winning a major jackpot!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19828 Posts
        Posted: July 5, 2004, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

If you buy 200 tickets and any of the combinations are repeated, you'll have less than 200 chances.  If you're buying 200 Auto Picks, it not likely to happen, but I prefer to personally pick my numbers if I'm buying more than 10 tickets.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19828 Posts
          Posted: July 5, 2004, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

Quote: Originally posted by HEYPHILLIP on July 05, 2004

Jack Whiticker brought one ticket. from what i remember there was only one winner who hit the mega millions who brought $100.00 worth of tickets i forgot his name his story was he went in the store to buy a hotdog and told the clerk give me one hundred lottery tickets.and there was also in 2001 the pool of 36 players that hit from Ocean County NJ who worked in a Acme store in Brick NJ they brought 360 tickets and hit the jackpot. they split the winnings which was $700.000.00 each none of them didn't quit there jobs at Acme they still work there.

Jack Whitaker bought a $100 worth of PowerBall tickets in West Virgina.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking