Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 3:40 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery games picking numbers by Computer

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 13 years ago by konane.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Baton Rouge, LA
United States
Member #4602
May 7, 2004
700 Posts
Posted: July 6, 2004, 10:26 pm - IP Logged

Some states have games picked by a drum full of white balls while others have their winning numbers picked by computer.

Computer random numbers aren't necessarily random, so I wonder if there would be a way to beat a computerized drawing over the drum full of white balls.

Any comments?

lottoarchitect's avatar - waveform

Greece
    Member #2815
    November 18, 2003
    502 Posts
    Posted: July 7, 2004, 7:43 am - IP Logged

Let's take the simplest form of random numbers generated by a computer. This is the random() function met in many programming languages. This code is based on a seed value determined mainly by the computer's time. Every time you make a call to random(), it returns a value (with pseudo-random characteristics). If the seed is the same, you get the same sequence of random numbers all the time.

In order to beat the lottery's computerized drawing, you have to:

1) have the same random number generator code

2) Know the seed used

3) Apply the random function the same way the lottery does (eg the lottery might feed a seed value but they might get the 10th number produced etc)

As you may understand, the only way to beat it by the means of a random number generator system is to have the same program used by the lottery. Still, you have to know the seed value used or each draw; pretty unlikely to ever find it.

If you have something to do, at least do it well...

Fwup's avatar - babylaugh 086.gif

United States
      Member #3654
      February 9, 2004
      70 Posts
      Posted: July 7, 2004, 11:59 am - IP Logged

A lottery computer has circuitry designed to pick up atmospheric static. When the static hits a certain signal strength, it starts a timer. When it hits it again, it stops the timer. The time between static bursts is used to determine the seed value. Needless to say, there's no way to predict the strength of atmospheric static.

Baton Rouge, LA
        United States
        Member #4602
        May 7, 2004
        700 Posts
        Posted: July 7, 2004, 12:51 pm - IP Logged
        Quote: Originally posted by apagogeas on July 07, 2004

Let's take the simplest form of random numbers generated by a computer. This is the random() function met in many programming languages. This code is based on a seed value determined mainly by the computer's time. Every time you make a call to random(), it returns a value (with pseudo-random characteristics). If the seed is the same, you get the same sequence of random numbers all the time.

In order to beat the lottery's computerized drawing, you have to:

1) have the same random number generator code

2) Know the seed used

3) Apply the random function the same way the lottery does (eg the lottery might feed a seed value but they might get the 10th number produced etc)

As you may understand, the only way to beat it by the means of a random number generator system is to have the same program used by the lottery. Still, you have to know the seed value used or each draw; pretty unlikely to ever find it.

I do know about the Random function in most programming languages and the seed value.  I remember a trick we used to do with Commodore computers where we'd fire it up, take an RND function, write it down, turn the computer off and on, take another RND number and they'd match.

I was wondering if "random" isn't truly random, perhaps there might be a way to improve the odds playing such a game.  There are alot of systems for the games using red and white balls, why not this?

Just a thought.

PrisonerSix

lottoarchitect's avatar - waveform

Greece
          Member #2815
          November 18, 2003
          502 Posts
          Posted: July 7, 2004, 5:22 pm - IP Logged
          Quote: Originally posted by Fwup on July 07, 2004

A lottery computer has circuitry designed to pick up atmospheric static. When the static hits a certain signal strength, it starts a timer. When it hits it again, it stops the timer. The time between static bursts is used to determine the seed value. Needless to say, there's no way to predict the strength of atmospheric static.

That makes things even worse!! Well, I believe the only solution we have is to analyse the facts and the facts are the history draws.

If you have something to do, at least do it well...

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
            Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23356 Posts
            Posted: July 7, 2004, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

Where the heck did you get that from?  Which "lottery computer" are you talking about?  I have never heard of anything remotely like that being used by any of the states.

Unless you can point to a source of information, that is really just bunk.

Besides, instead of using random static to generate a seed value (because the atmospheric static is truly random), they would just use the static-generated value itself!  They wouldn't create an new non-random number based upon a random seed value!  (Or maybe they should have their heads examined.)

Also, the recent investigation in Indiana by a couple of Lottery Post members has shown that your statement is totally wrong.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
            What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
            Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Australia
              Member #3084
              December 22, 2003
              328 Posts
              Posted: July 7, 2004, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

PrisonerSix

Plenty has been said in this Forum on the subject of Random Numbers, their generation, problems with repeats and distortions, including a few paragraphs by myself.

Do a search. If you find something there you'd like to run with let's hear it. I don't think we should be approaching the subject as if nothing has been written about it on this forum.

Colin

(Fwup. You were joking, right?)

United States
                Member #3654
                February 9, 2004
                70 Posts
                Posted: July 7, 2004, 7:11 pm - IP Logged
                Quote: Originally posted by Todd on July 07, 2004

Where the heck did you get that from? Which "lottery computer" are you talking about? I have never heard of anything remotely like that being used by any of the states.

Unless you can point to a source of information, that is really just bunk.

I'm sorry, I can't discuss it. It's classified. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything. The lottery police may come after me.
                  Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23356 Posts
                  Posted: July 7, 2004, 7:19 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, right. 

San Diego
                    United States
                    Member #4520
                    May 1, 2004
                    243 Posts
                    Posted: July 7, 2004, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

The static thing, to me, seems just like another way to somehow randomize the seed. Usually you do it by taking the time of day (seconds or ms, depending on your system), or the seconds elapsed since Jan 1, 1970, or some such value, and then hash it somehow. To duplicate this, you would need to know the hash function and you'd need to know where the raw seed is coming from.

If they actually use something outside of the box itself, some analog value, which he is describing, it is actaully a clever way to make the seed impossible to reconstruct, unless you have the same analog detector in the same environment, which is impossible. Then there is calibation with an analog device that helps even more.

So before I ridicule this, I might say that if it were my job to design a random number generator with a seed that can't be duplicated I would use some analog to digital peripheral device to obtain my seed.

United States
                      Member #3654
                      February 9, 2004
                      70 Posts
                      Posted: July 7, 2004, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

The device I described actually exists, and is used to obtain a random value to produce cryptographic algorithms. I used to repair the equipment it's in.

Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23356 Posts
                        Posted: July 7, 2004, 10:19 pm - IP Logged

"Cryptographic algorithms",

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                          Dump Water Florida
                          United States
                          Member #380
                          June 5, 2002
                          3114 Posts
                          Posted: July 8, 2004, 1:57 am - IP Logged

Some secret.

http://www.random.org/sform.html

Can be used for lotto play, no evidence yet it's used for drawings. BobP

United States
                            Member #3654
                            February 9, 2004
                            70 Posts
                            Posted: July 8, 2004, 11:26 am - IP Logged
                            Quote:
                              Chief Bottle Washer
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #1
                              May 31, 2000
                              23356 Posts
                              Posted: July 8, 2004, 11:32 am - IP Logged

There's some sensitivity around this topic, because the states don't do enough to ensure randomness in their drawings.  There is a big investigation on-going in Indiana, thanks to a couple of Lottery Post members.

Your message appeared to be factual, so it was important to debunk it so that misinformed people would not be misled into thinking that computerized drawings are approprately random.  I believe that certain states are going down a dangerous path in their attempt to save a few bucks by going to computerized drawings (no ping pong balls).