Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 7:07 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

refused to pay me

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 12 years ago by DoctorEw220.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
shelbyjean's avatar - shapes quad_feather.jpg
ohio
United States
Member #3573
February 1, 2004
86 Posts
Posted: September 20, 2004, 7:34 pm - IP Logged

while out of town to a nearby state i purchased some instant scratch off tickets there were a couple of winners the retailer paid me for one of my winning tickets but she refused to pay me for another by stating the ticket had been previously paid out i had bought the tickets about 1/2 hour prior along with some other purchases. she gave me the pc printout ticket verifying that it was a valid ticket so i was in the store two times but she kept insisting the ticket had already been paid out can you imagine how humiliated i felt in the publie eye in frony of everyone in the store both times because i was on the parking lot ' into the store 'back to the car and again into the store.so i today called the lottery commission and he said the matter was very unexcusable on their part because they could have handled the matter in a different fashion and also the supervisor of the store could have contacted him. he was very apologetic and he told me to send the ticket with a note and the pc printout and they would send me my money'''is that supposed to take care of''' my public humility? he did say he would be contacting the store that he had the same problem happen in the pastwhat would you do if it were to happen to you ?

Mail For Youfrom shelbyjean

United States
    Member #379
    June 5, 2002
    11296 Posts
    Posted: September 20, 2004, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

Don't give them your business again.

Pa
      United States
      Member #2485
      October 9, 2003
      319 Posts
      Posted: September 20, 2004, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

I would put a letter in the newspaper about the store. And I would never go in the store again.

I had something else happen to me in a store and I do not go in there anymore either.

shelbyjean's avatar - shapes quad_feather.jpg
        ohio
        United States
        Member #3573
        February 1, 2004
        86 Posts
        Posted: September 20, 2004, 8:03 pm - IP Logged

aha two

Mail For Youfrom shelbyjean

percygrinder's avatar - bob

Bahamas
          Member #4787
          May 24, 2004
          1742 Posts
          Posted: September 20, 2004, 8:36 pm - IP Logged

Don't worry

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
            Yinzer Country, PA
            United States
            Member #4067
            March 18, 2004
            2741 Posts
            Posted: September 20, 2004, 10:09 pm - IP Logged

i had something like that happen in ohio.  it was probably just a bug in the machine.  go to another store and try to cash it.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Yinzer Country, PA
              United States
              Member #4067
              March 18, 2004
              2741 Posts
              Posted: September 20, 2004, 10:11 pm - IP Logged

it may also have been human error.  a lot of people who have tried to cash my scratch-offs have no idea how to do so.  one time, i had to do it for them.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                Member #14
                November 9, 2001
                31544 Posts
                Posted: September 20, 2004, 10:14 pm - IP Logged
                Quote: Originally posted by shelbyjean on September 20, 2004

while out of town to a nearby state i purchased some instant scratch off tickets there were a couple of winners the retailer paid me for one of my winning tickets but she refused to pay me for another by stating the ticket had been previously paid out i had bought the tickets about 1/2 hour prior along with some other purchases. she gave me the pc printout ticket verifying that it was a valid ticket so i was in the store two times but she kept insisting the ticket had already been paid out can you imagine how humiliated i felt in the publie eye in frony of everyone in the store both times because i was on the parking lot ' into the store 'back to the car and again into the store.so i today called the lottery commission and he said the matter was very unexcusable on their part because they could have handled the matter in a different fashion and also the supervisor of the store could have contacted him. he was very apologetic and he told me to send the ticket with a note and the pc printout and they would send me my money'''is that supposed to take care of''' my public humility? he did say he would be contacting the store that he had the same problem happen in the pastwhat would you do if it were to happen to you

what else should be done.  what's your opinion? what would you like done.

love to nibble those micey feet.

Yinzer Country, PA
                  United States
                  Member #4067
                  March 18, 2004
                  2741 Posts
                  Posted: September 25, 2004, 9:56 pm - IP Logged

if they sold you a previously cashed ticket, you should ask the lottery to revoke the retailer's license.

ONEDAY's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
                    OHIO
                    United States
                    Member #5328
                    June 30, 2004
                    1284 Posts
                    Posted: September 25, 2004, 10:13 pm - IP Logged
                    Quote: Originally posted by DoctorEw220 on September 20, 2004

it may also have been human error.  a lot of people who have tried to cash my scratch-offs have no idea how to do so.  one time, i had to do it for them.

this sounds like small time store I know..:)

have a great winning day!

Yinzer Country, PA
                      United States
                      Member #4067
                      March 18, 2004
                      2741 Posts
                      Posted: September 25, 2004, 10:19 pm - IP Logged
                      Quote: Originally posted by ONEDAY on September 25, 2004

Quote: Originally posted by DoctorEw220 on September 20, 2004

this sounds like small time store I know..:)

where in ohio you from?

Yinzer Country, PA
                        United States
                        Member #4067
                        March 18, 2004
                        2741 Posts
                        Posted: September 30, 2004, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

lotteries should be cracking down on stuff like this. i know of a few stores that wouldn't settle packs of tickets once they were sold because they weren't selling too many other items, and had those bills to pay, and didn't want their bank accounts to be overdrawn. i'm guessing those stores also din't activate the packs of tickets because then the lottery would be on to them. nowadays, the PA lottery always settles a pack once 90% of the winners have been claimed. i'm guessing a few reatilers have lost their licenses since then.

Baton Rouge, LA
                          United States
                          Member #4602
                          May 7, 2004
                          700 Posts
                          Posted: October 10, 2004, 1:40 pm - IP Logged
                          Quote:
                            Yinzer Country, PA
                            United States
                            Member #4067
                            March 18, 2004
                            2741 Posts
                            Posted: October 10, 2004, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

some convenience stores will not cash big winners because they may not have that much in the store at the moment.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                              MD
                              United States
                              Member #1701
                              June 18, 2003
                              8395 Posts
                              Posted: October 10, 2004, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

What you know or may not know is the lottery will give practically anybody a machine so they can sell tickets for them. Then the retailer buys scratch off tickets to sell for them. When the retailers pays on a scratch off ticket the retailer has to go through all kinds of crap to get their funds from the lottery. the lottery wants to credit the retailer for any winning tickets that the retailer pays out for. So in fact the retailer is paying out of his register for any winning tickets since many place don't keep more than enough ready cash available they often don't have the cash on hand. They may not be making enough money selling tickets to pay out on anything larger than 100 bucks. So use your head if you have a winning ticket take it to some place that has the funds available and not the corner candy store.