Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

refused to pay me

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 12 years ago by DoctorEw220.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
paymenow's avatar - scenery water_mountains.jpg
Cardiff by the Sea, San Diego, CA
United States
Member #4097
March 21, 2004
174 Posts
Posted: October 10, 2004, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

One would think that problems such as these are rather infrequent, when in fact, they may be more common than you think. 

I have personally witnessed a store clerk tell an elderly woman that her lottery ticket was not a winner.  The clerk proceeded to the next customer.  I intervened and asked the clerk to give the woman back her "non-winning" ticket.  At first she refused to do so, stating the ticket was no good anyway.  I double-checked her ticket against the winning draw and found out that she had indeed won $750.00 on the ticket.  We checked it right there in the store amongst a very nice crowd of people.  You can only imagine what happened next. 

So, even if the clerk tells you that you're not a winner, always request to have your ticket back.  Mistakes like this are much too common and could possibly cost you a nice little jackpot.

Also, if you play often, it is probably best to go to a place where you feel you can trust the people who work there.

Now, about your public humiliation, I would certainly boycott doing business with such an establishment altogether.  I would also make a public notice of the incident in the local newspaper, especially the Sunday edition.  There is no excuse for this type of behaviour. 

Businesses should be much more cognizant of the type of employees it has representing their interests.  Customer service still is the bottom line and word of mouth spreads faster than wildfire!

paymenow

next
    Bahamas
    Member #2898
    November 29, 2003
    75 Posts
    Posted: October 10, 2004, 4:06 pm - IP Logged

I will see that they never open againe.And i agree with paymenow baycott during business hours make sure they don't sell another ticket in their store.

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
      Yinzer Country, PA
      United States
      Member #4067
      March 18, 2004
      2741 Posts
      Posted: October 11, 2004, 12:59 am - IP Logged

my old work would pay out on straight hits on the big 4 whenever.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Yinzer Country, PA
        United States
        Member #4067
        March 18, 2004
        2741 Posts
        Posted: October 11, 2004, 1:01 am - IP Logged

also, if a clerk tries to steal a winning ticket, not only would i talk to their boss and press attempted theft charges against the clerk, but i would demand an apology from the company headquarters, and demand the lottery revoke the store's license.  if a store is crooked, then they do not deserve a license.  states do need to do a better job on background checks.  the stores do as well.  when i was hired at my old work, they never even checked my references.  at least with my RA job, they checked with my references.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

United States
          Member #379
          June 5, 2002
          11296 Posts
          Posted: October 12, 2004, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

I would boycott that store.

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
            Clarksville
            United States
            Member #487
            July 15, 2002
            17638 Posts
            Posted: October 12, 2004, 4:51 pm - IP Logged

Just because someone works at a store, it doesn't mean they have "brains".  Some of these clerks are right off the streets and not only do not know how....don't want to know how..If the clerk thought the ticket was previously cashed, she could have checked it by calling her local lottery authorities..I would think something shady was going on there..how can u resell a previously paid out ticket? Boycott them and get your friends to boycott them, too.  Also put a story about the incident in your local paper..that will get them but good. Maybe then, the owners will care more about the caliber of person they hire to represent them.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

Justin's avatar - hatchap
              Stevens Point
              United States
              Member #6457
              August 24, 2004
              3030 Posts
              Posted: October 13, 2004, 12:23 am - IP Logged
              Quote: Originally posted by paymenow on October 10, 2004

I have personally witnessed a store clerk tell an elderly woman that her lottery ticket was not a winner.  The clerk proceeded to the next customer.  I intervened and asked the clerk to give the woman back her "non-winning" ticket.  At first she refused to do so, stating the ticket was no good anyway.  I double-checked her ticket against the winning draw and found out that she had indeed won $750.00 on the ticket.  We checked it right there in the store amongst a very nice crowd of people.  You can only imagine what happened next. 

That makes me want to throw up.

Some people are sick.....

I hope that clerk was charged with something

I believe life is about finding someone you cant live without

And showing them how much you care every day of every month of every year

Yinzer Country, PA
                United States
                Member #4067
                March 18, 2004
                2741 Posts
                Posted: October 13, 2004, 1:24 am - IP Logged

i doubt it.  the woman got what she wanted in the end.  i think she was happy with what she got.

United States
                  Member #379
                  June 5, 2002
                  11296 Posts
                  Posted: October 15, 2004, 4:01 pm - IP Logged

I've never had a store refuse to pay me.

Yinzer Country, PA
                    United States
                    Member #4067
                    March 18, 2004
                    2741 Posts
                    Posted: October 28, 2004, 2:10 am - IP Logged

i've had a few, but they admitted that they did not have enough money in the cash registers to pay out.

hgabel's avatar - motomedia motclub.com
                      Ontario
                      Canada
                      Member #8264
                      October 30, 2004
                      30 Posts
                      Posted: November 16, 2004, 10:53 pm - IP Logged

In this area a few years ago, someone tried to cheat a deaf winner but hearing customers heard the "winner's music" from the lottery terminal and wouldn't let the clerk get away with it. Mind you, the deaf customer already knew he had won because he first checked the ticket either from TV or in the newspaper. Can't recall if the clerk was charged, but since it was in the paper, then maybe s/he was.

Now we have spiffy new terminals here with a screen that shows ads for upcoming lotteries plus if someone wins, the screen spells W I N N E R and shows how much was won or how many free plays.

If you're from Ontario (Canada) you will know what I mean. Don't know how widespread these spiffy terminals are but I personally think they're quite lovely. After all...I am deaf myself!

Yinzer Country, PA
                        United States
                        Member #4067
                        March 18, 2004
                        2741 Posts
                        Posted: November 26, 2004, 5:53 pm - IP Logged

In PA, the customer display will show the word "winner" if the ticket is a winner, but it will not sh0ow how much the person won. Personally, the lkottery machines need to accomidate everyone. If the person is blind, have a voice tell the person that they won. If the person is deaf, then have a sign or something pop out telling them that they won.

Maverick's avatar - yinyang
                          USA
                          United States
                          Member #8242
                          October 29, 2004
                          1133 Posts
                          Posted: December 15, 2004, 1:45 am - IP Logged
                          Quote: Originally posted by paymenow on October 10, 2004

Glad you were there to defend her. I bet that store clerk knew it was a winner.
                            Yinzer Country, PA
                            United States
                            Member #4067
                            March 18, 2004
                            2741 Posts
                            Posted: January 12, 2005, 1:00 am - IP Logged

i've known people who have thrown out winners because the clerks told them that they did not win. i know in PA and OH, a slip of paper prints out if you won as well, so it's extra assurance that you won. personally, i think the lottery needs to train the trainers of those who work machines, and they need a set of standards for people who want to work the machines. that way, the customers know that nobody is being cheated out of what's rightfully theirs.

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                              Tx
                              United States
                              Member #4570
                              May 4, 2004
                              5180 Posts
                              Posted: January 12, 2005, 1:31 am - IP Logged

A few clerks just don't know what they are doing, and a few others are just trying to steal your money if they think that they can get away with it.

But it's not the stores doing those things, but the few individual clerks.

And not all clerks are thieves, just some of them.

Go to some other store if you have problems.

And forgive and forget.

Unless the same things happen again with the same person(s).

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."