Welcome Guest
Log In | Register )
You last visited September 26, 2020, 4:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

$2.5 million in sales on 1st day of Mississippi lottery

Nov 29, 2019, 9:35 am

Share this news story on Facebook
Tweet this news story on Twitter
Mississippi LotteryMississippi Lottery: $2.5 million in sales on 1st day of Mississippi lotteryRating:

JACKSON, Miss. — The Mississippi Lottery Corporation says people bought a total of $2.5 million in lottery tickets on the first day of sales.

In a news release, lottery officials said that translates into $570,000 for the state.

Tickets went on sale at 5 a.m. Monday. The tickets are available at nearly 1,200 retailers in 80 of the state's 82 counties.

Prospective lottery players who want to find the closest Mississippi Lottery retailers to buy tickets can use the free Lottery Places app (www.lotteryplaces.com). Lottery Places is the only app available that can locate lottery retailers in every state and jurisdiction throughout the United States. It also finds lottery retailers in Canada, Mexico, United Kingdom, and much of the Caribbean.

Lottery Places can pinpoint any of the nearly 1,200 lottery retailers already approved for selling Mississippi Lottery tickets.

The lottery's president, Tom Shaheen, says the state has exceeded expectations.

For decades, the state resisted a lottery. But in 2018, lawmakers authorized it as a way to pay for road maintenance and infrastructure needs.

For 10 years, the first $80 million goes to infrastructure needs and when the 10 years is over, that money goes to the general fund. Anything over $80 million goes to education.

AP, Lottery Post Staff

We'd love to see your comments here!  Register for a FREE membership — it takes just a few moments — and you'll be able to post comments here and on any of our forums. If you're already a member, you can Log In to post a comment.

9 comments. Last comment 10 months ago by JoeBigLotto.
Page 1 of 1
Avatar
Simpsonville
United States
Member #163184
January 22, 2015
2263 Posts
Offline

Kind of a back door feel good story.   Hope some of the folks there opt for the oversized lottery check for all to see.

Soon enough Powerball and Mega Millions will be offered.

Anyway great job Mississippi giving the voters what they want...perhaps that state to your East can wake up and smell the coffee too.

    hearsetrax's avatar - alien on_computer.jpg

    United States
    Member #52343
    May 21, 2007
    3286 Posts
    Offline

    Party

      TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
      Brooklyn, NY
      United States
      Member #169719
      October 29, 2015
      1490 Posts
      Offline

      Good first day sales. No mention about winners.

      I wonder if it will continue at that pace.

      The Meatman 🥩🍗🍔🍖🍤🌭

      “The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

      Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

        music*'s avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
        USN United States Navy
        Fresno, California
        United States
        Member #157851
        August 2, 2014
        3959 Posts
        Offline

        Congratulations to the Mississippi Lottery Corporation!! 

         That $570,000.00 for the state is a good start.

         "We are all in this together!" 

          Avatar
          Billionaires Row 57th street Manhattan
          United States
          Member #197346
          April 9, 2019
          5098 Posts
          Offline

          A state like Mississippi won’t be able to sustain this $2.5 Million sales per day 

            cottoneyedjoe's avatar - cuonvFT

            United States
            Member #197033
            March 28, 2019
            541 Posts
            Offline

             ...bought a total of $2.5 million in lottery tickets on the first day of sales. In a news release, lottery officials said that translates into $570,000 for the state.

             

            Forgive me, but wth is going on here? 570K is 22.8% of 2.5M. That's really all the state takes in? How is the other 77.2% distributed? I'm assuming 50% for prizes like most other states, so that leaves 27.2% to account for. Any Mississippians here who can enlighten me?

             

            Edit: Line 828 of the Alyce G. Clarke lottery law says 15% are for operating expenses of the lottery corporation. (and line 820 confirms prizes are 50%)

            http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/20181E/pdf/SB/2001-2099/SB2001SG.pdf

            Still seems like the state should be taking in more than 570K from 2.5M.

            ... Sooper dooper top seekrit winning numbers: 5 16 17 24 33 52 ...

              Avatar
              Billionaires Row 57th street Manhattan
              United States
              Member #197346
              April 9, 2019
              5098 Posts
              Offline

               ...bought a total of $2.5 million in lottery tickets on the first day of sales. In a news release, lottery officials said that translates into $570,000 for the state.

               

              Forgive me, but wth is going on here? 570K is 22.8% of 2.5M. That's really all the state takes in? How is the other 77.2% distributed? I'm assuming 50% for prizes like most other states, so that leaves 27.2% to account for. Any Mississippians here who can enlighten me?

               

              Edit: Line 828 of the Alyce G. Clarke lottery law says 15% are for operating expenses of the lottery corporation. (and line 820 confirms prizes are 50%)

              http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/20181E/pdf/SB/2001-2099/SB2001SG.pdf

              Still seems like the state should be taking in more than 570K from 2.5M.

              the rest 13 percent goes to lawmakers pockets through under the table 

                cottoneyedjoe's avatar - cuonvFT

                United States
                Member #197033
                March 28, 2019
                541 Posts
                Offline

                the rest 13 percent goes to lawmakers pockets through under the table 

                For sure NY10!

                The next two lines of the law say "However, this restriction shall not apply until after the first twelve (12) months of revenue generation."  I take it mean they are taking in more than 15% for operating expenses currently and will do so until 12 months are up. OK, I guess. I see room for some corruption and waste until the strict 15% kicks in.

                ... Sooper dooper top seekrit winning numbers: 5 16 17 24 33 52 ...

                  JoeBigLotto's avatar - Lottery-049.jpg
                  melbourne , florida
                  United States
                  Member #121136
                  January 3, 2012
                  247 Posts
                  Offline

                  The best part is unclaimed prizes that goes back to state crazy planet lol 😂 in Georgia someone never claimed $26 million Powerball