Welcome Guest
Log In | Register )
You last visited July 5, 2022, 7:41 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

North Carolina Veteran "blessed" by $1 million lottery prize from second-chance drawing

Jun 13, 2022, 5:19 pm

Share this news story on Facebook
Tweet this news story on Twitter
North Carolina LotteryNorth Carolina Lottery: North Carolina Veteran "blessed" by $1 million lottery prize from second-chance drawingRating:

Lucky winner says he is familiar with second chances

By Kate Northrop

A North Carolina Veteran says he has had his fair share of second chances in life, but a $1 million lottery prize from a second-chance drawing is the most recent stroke of luck he's had.

Joe Mathews of Raleigh is not only thankful for the $1 million second-chance prize he won from a scratch-off, but it's also a reminder of the good things he has going for him in life.

"I believe in second chance," Mathews told the North Carolina Lottery. "I really do. I have had second chances in my life, and I'm still getting blessed from them. I've gone from the streets to being blessed with a wife, a family, and a home."

Mathews recalled growing up in a tough neighborhood in Detroit. It was when he enlisted in the U.S. Army and served for three and a half years that he had his first encounter with second chances.

He moved to North Carolina after serving in the Army, which is where he found a job, a wife, and eventually a family of seven daughters and a son.

The 65-year-old, who works as a fork-lift driver, entered his $30 "200X The Cash" scratch-off ticket in a second-chance drawing. Out of 1.3 million entries, he won the $1 million grand prize in the drawing on Wednesday.

He had the option of taking the prize as an annuity of $50,000 a year for 20 years or a $600,000 one-time payout. The Raleigh resident chose the latter, taking home $426,060 after federal and state taxes.

"This will take some stress off me," Mathews said in a press release.

The prize money, Mathews continued, will help him pay some bills and pay off the mortgage on his house, and that the best part of it all is that he will have a way to pay for his daughter's wedding in Aruba in August.

Lottery winners of second-chance drawings are contacted by the Lottery via phone or email. According to the Lottery, he received his phone call on Thursday afternoon notifying him of his win, after which he went straight to Lottery headquarters to claim his prize.

"I'm just blessed," the veteran said. "I'm just so happy now. I really appreciate you giving me that phone call."

The "200X The Cash" instant game, which launched in March, offers six top prizes of $5 million, of which five remain. There are also 13 out of 18 second-tier prizes of $100,000 and 17 out of 24 third-tier prizes o $50,000 left to claim.

Players may enter their "200X The Cash" tickets in the game's second-chance drawings on the Lottery's website. Each drawing offers a $1 million grand prize, a $200,000 prize, and 25 $500 prizes. There are three second-chance drawings left, with the next one scheduled to take place on Jan. 4, 2023.

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

Lottery Post Staff

We'd love to see your comments here!  Register for a FREE membership — it takes just a few moments — and you'll be able to post comments here and on any of our forums. If you're already a member, you can Log In to post a comment.

8 comments. Last comment 18 days ago by sam9009.
Page 1 of 1
Avatar
New Member
ny
United States
Member #215440
May 18, 2021
6 Posts
Offline

beatiful happy for him US Flaggood luck cograts

    Avatar
    Gallatin Tennesee
    United States
    Member #194096
    November 29, 2018
    179 Posts
    Offline

    "This will take some stress off me." Yes it will Joe, yes it will. Based his big smile, it's already starting to do that. 1 out of 1.3 million? That's a win to be proud of. Congrats to the lucky dad/veteran. Now his daughter's wedding day will be even better.

    PartyCheers

    Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.

    .......Sir Winston Churchill

      Cigarman's avatar - disney21
      New Member
      Massachusetts
      United States
      Member #222920
      June 14, 2022
      2 Posts
      Offline

      Can someone explain the tax system to me and how this retired Veteran 🇺🇸 paid $574,000 in Federal and North Carolina State TAXES? That's on a $1,000,000 prize!  I totally understand having to pay taxes upfront. But I always have understood that if I won a million dollars I would take home about $600,000, and I would thrilled.

      Looking at the Jackpot Analysis pages on USA Mega for both Powerball and Mega Millions, it says the initial federal withholding of 24% as well as the remaining federal taxes will be due. But when you scroll down to the payout segment for each state, you see additional federal taxes due (37% final rate).  Further down the North Carolina State tax rate is 4.99%. 

      So to me, it looks like this man should he paid 37% + 4.99% for a total of 41.99%. If my math is right, that's $419,900 in taxes. So his take home should have been $580,100. 

      Instead, this "blessed" man took "home $426,060 after federal  and state taxes".  Something seemed wrong here as soon as I read this, and I think he got screwed.

        LottoBux's avatar - ryn8iCO
        25
        Ontario
        Canada
        Member #109238
        April 9, 2011
        60628 Posts
        Offline

        Can someone explain the tax system to me and how this retired Veteran 🇺🇸 paid $574,000 in Federal and North Carolina State TAXES? That's on a $1,000,000 prize!  I totally understand having to pay taxes upfront. But I always have understood that if I won a million dollars I would take home about $600,000, and I would thrilled.

        Looking at the Jackpot Analysis pages on USA Mega for both Powerball and Mega Millions, it says the initial federal withholding of 24% as well as the remaining federal taxes will be due. But when you scroll down to the payout segment for each state, you see additional federal taxes due (37% final rate).  Further down the North Carolina State tax rate is 4.99%. 

        So to me, it looks like this man should he paid 37% + 4.99% for a total of 41.99%. If my math is right, that's $419,900 in taxes. So his take home should have been $580,100. 

        Instead, this "blessed" man took "home $426,060 after federal  and state taxes".  Something seemed wrong here as soon as I read this, and I think he got screwed.

        "He had the option of taking the prize as an annuity of $50,000 a year for 20 years or a $600,000 one-time payout.

        The Raleigh resident chose the latter, taking home $426,060 after federal and state taxes."

         

        He chose the lump sum option Of $600,000.

        He was taxed on that amount, not on the $1 million dollars.

                         

          sully16's avatar - sharan
          25
          Ringleader
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #81738
          October 28, 2009
          100047 Posts
          Offline

          From Detroit, alright Cheers Congrats Joe enjoy every minute. 

          Happy 4th of July  US Flag

            rdgrnr's avatar - nw barkeep.jpg
            100
            Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler
            The Hall Of The Mountain Kings Tennessee
            United States
            Member #73902
            April 28, 2009
            15326 Posts
            Offline

            Good man being thankful for what he's got.

            Thank God for 2nd chances.

              Cigarman's avatar - disney21
              New Member
              Massachusetts
              United States
              Member #222920
              June 14, 2022
              2 Posts
              Offline

              I learned something new. Thank you for this explanation. It is most appreciated. 

              Now I know that WHEN I win my Million dollar prize, I won't be pissed off at Lottery Headquarters and causing a big scene or ruckus knowing my check is about $200,000 lighter than I thought. I'm sure my story would have wound up at USA Mega if I was making an ass of myself. Lol.

                Avatar
                25
                Brooklyn, NY
                United States
                Member #78505
                August 16, 2009
                36719 Posts
                Online

                So if he chose the annuity, how much would be the total payout after taxes?

                Invictus maneo