Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:25 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

computers record the combinations played

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 12 years ago by southwind.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Maverick's avatar - yinyang
USA
United States
Member #8242
October 29, 2004
1133 Posts
Posted: December 24, 2004, 12:09 am - IP Logged

Lets put our heads together. Why do lottery officials/computers record the combinations played before every draw? There are marketing reasons, but how relevant are those reasons? I dunno. I think if anything needs to be logged it's what game it is, where it is bought, when it is bought, and how much the ticket was. For now, I don't see any logical reason for them to record the combinations played. What do y'all think?

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23260 Posts
    Posted: December 24, 2004, 12:18 am - IP Logged

There's a very good reason: so they can validate your ticket.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19823 Posts
      Posted: December 24, 2004, 12:29 am - IP Logged

All that information is necessary to confirm the real winners and to know the actual amount that should be paid out.  Or, they could depend of people honesty and pay anyone any amount they claim to have won, but they might end up paying out more than the ticket sales since most players think they should win more than they spend.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

USA
        United States
        Member #8242
        October 29, 2004
        1133 Posts
        Posted: December 24, 2004, 12:29 am - IP Logged
        Quote: Originally posted by Todd on December 24, 2004

There's a very good reason: so they can validate your ticket.

Hmm, validate meaning to know whose ticket won? If yes, are there other ways for them to know if a ticket won? Like serial numbers on the ticket is one way I think. I may be wrong, but I think it is a poor reason on their part for why they record all combinations.

Also, why is it even an issue for them to know a ticket won, even if unclaimed? Thousands if not millions of draws go unwon. Please more input. Thank you all.

Greenwich, CT
          United States
          Member #4793
          May 24, 2004
          1822 Posts
          Posted: December 24, 2004, 12:33 am - IP Logged

Immediately following a draw on a jackpot game, the lottery knows how many, if any, jackpot tickets were sold.  So if one ticket won, and two people claim to have winning tickets, they know at least one of those people is lying.  It saves a lot of hassle. 

USA
            United States
            Member #8242
            October 29, 2004
            1133 Posts
            Posted: December 24, 2004, 12:35 am - IP Logged
            Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on December 24, 2004

All that information is necessary to confirm the real winners and to know the actual amount that should be paid out. 

To know the actual amount that should be paid out. Ahh there we go. Lemme ask another question. How about if the combinations were on the ticket/s bought, but a technique was made where the combinations did not show up on their end, on their computers, all to keep our confidence in the lotteries' trueness. So if someone did have a winning ticket, we the people would come forth to present our winning ticket.
              RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19823 Posts
              Posted: December 24, 2004, 12:44 am - IP Logged

Quote: Originally posted by Maverick on December 24, 2004

Hmm, validate meaning to know whose ticket won? If yes, are there other ways for them to know if a ticket won? Like serial numbers on the ticket is one way I think. 

The serial numbers are checked in a raffle because that's what you buy when you buy a raffle ticket.  In  a lottery, the serial number is associated with numbers on the ticket, if you don't know what should be on the ticket, the serial number has no value.  That is the difference between a raffle and a lottery.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23260 Posts
                Posted: December 24, 2004, 12:45 am - IP Logged

If the lotteries didn't keep track of the numbers they sold, the lottery games would degenerate into criminal enterprises, or at least the public would feel that way.  Any Joe Schmoe could forge a ticket and claim a big jackpot. 

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                Help eliminate computerized drawings!

USA
                  United States
                  Member #8242
                  October 29, 2004
                  1133 Posts
                  Posted: December 24, 2004, 1:10 am - IP Logged
                  Quote: Originally posted by Maverick on December 24, 2004

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on December 24, 2004

All that information is necessary to confirm the real winners and to know the actual amount that should be paid out. 

To know the actual amount that should be paid out. Ahh there we go. Lemme ask another question. How about if the combinations were on the ticket/s bought, but a technique was made where the combinations did not show up on their end, on their computers, all to keep our confidence in the lotteries' trueness. So if someone did have a winning ticket, we the people would come forth to present our winning ticket.

The thought that just came up is "rollover". If someone does not come forth with the winning ticket, say until after 2-4 weeks, is the rollover factor that much of a nuisance, compared to keeping with the people's confidence?
                    four4me's avatar - gate1
                    MD
                    United States
                    Member #1701
                    June 18, 2003
                    8360 Posts
                    Posted: December 24, 2004, 1:54 am - IP Logged

i wrote all this i'm posting because i saw your reply on the other thread and many people have given some good answers. Here's what i got for ya.

Maybe we shouldn't talk much about this in case officials are reading this lol

I'm sure they are reading stuff on here many of these posts are read by thousands of people on the net while surfing for lottery related stuff I often see links to the lottery post. And by now I'm sure that the officials have caught wind of lottery post.

Why do they record the combinations played?

This is the explanation that was given on the public television show I saw. The lottery records all transactions to there main terminal. One main reason is if people woke up one morning and everybody started playing say 1111 for midday because they all had the same premonition that 1111 was going to come out. And 5/6/7 thousand people or more all played that number. The pay out would be astronomical it might even break their bank so to speak. And cause a meltdown on their ability to pay out on so many wins. So they have the computers running and when a certain number is bet to a set payout amount. Lets say that amount is 3.5 million dollars. They stop the number, it is cut of no more people can buy 1111 for the midday draw. Now they can buy 1111 for the evening draw or future draws but once again if it reaches the threshold it's cut off.

On any given day in any given state there are probably a dozen or more numbers that are bet to a point where it has to be cut off to avoid going over the threshold limit.

The other reason they record every transaction is so they can verify any winning or loosing ticket that may checked by the machine for payout or loss. And to verify what outlet sold the ticket and so on. If they didn't have a record of every transaction any person could print out his own winning ticket on some computer and cash an invalid or false ticket. I'm also sure there are a half dozen more reason the keep track of ticket purchases for accounting purposes.

United States
                      Member #9842
                      December 24, 2004
                      20 Posts
                      Posted: December 24, 2004, 2:05 am - IP Logged

I'm from Rhode Island....We have only a Pick 4 game and i'll tell you a little philosophy that i've developed about this lottery gig....Now we all now that no matter what the lottery in most cases makes a hell of a lot of money....But i think the reason they record the numbers played is so that they can place limits on how many times a certain combination can be played.......The reason i think this is because me and my girlfriend started dating on November 11......The reason i give this bit of useless information is because naturally i would LIKE to play the number 1111....However i've tried many times and the machine will not except the number....I asked my dad who has played the numbers game since it started and he said that there are limits on certain numbers.........If i've made any sense which i hope i did i hope i've helped you....If not i'm very sorry and please email me and tell me why i'm such an idiot....LOL

~~~Will

four4me's avatar - gate1
                        MD
                        United States
                        Member #1701
                        June 18, 2003
                        8360 Posts
                        Posted: December 24, 2004, 2:09 am - IP Logged

will your not an idiot. next time you think 1111 will hit get the number in advance tell the counter person you want to play it. I think you can only play it up to a week in advance but it may be longer.

USA
                          United States
                          Member #8242
                          October 29, 2004
                          1133 Posts
                          Posted: December 24, 2004, 2:14 am - IP Logged
                          Quote: Originally posted by four4me on December 24, 2004

Why do they record the combinations played?
                          This is the explanation that was given on the public television show I saw. The lottery records all transactions to there main terminal. One main reason is if people woke up one morning and everybody started playing say 1111 for midday because they all had the same premonition that 1111 was going to come out. And 5/6/7 thousand people or more all played that number. The pay out would be astronomical it might even break their bank so to speak. And cause a meltdown on their ability to pay out on so many wins. So they have the computers running and when a certain number is bet to a set payout amount. Lets say that amount is 3.5 million dollars. They stop the number, it is cut of no more people can buy 1111 for the midday draw. Now they can buy 1111 for the evening draw or future draws but once again if it reaches the threshold it's cut off.

On any given day in any given state there are probably a dozen or more numbers that are bet to a point where it has to be cut off to avoid going over the threshold limit.

The other reason they record every transaction is so they can verify any winning or loosing ticket that may checked by the machine for payout or loss. And to verify what outlet sold the ticket and so on. If they didn't have a record of every transaction any person could print out his own winning ticket on some computer and cash an invalid or false ticket. I'm also sure there are a half dozen more reason the keep track of ticket purchases for accounting purposes.

You came up with some good reasons. I understand about breaking their bank. That definately applies to Pick 3/4 games, maybe even Pick 5's also. In those games recording combinations does seem necessary.

But what do you think about Pick 6 or Pick 10 games? Already it is rare to have two jackpot winners in the same drawing in my state's lottery and in Mega Millions (probably other states too). For those games, I think recording combinations is not necessary. Now if they're still worried about people breaking their bank IF two jackpot winners won in the same drawing, I think a plan going by "time" should be devised. Like whoever bought the very first winning combination gets the jackpot. And the ticket would verify the time, place, amount, etc... and the combination would be seen on the ticket, but not on their computers. The second jackpot winner would get a lesser jackpot (a higher amount than 2nd prize).

They could record all the necessary information they need for sales and verification, etc. But I think they don't need to record combinations in the Pick 6 or Pick 10 games. No one has been able to printout a replica fake winning ticket, probably mainly cos there are serial numbers on it that only the ticket holder and lottery officials have. Please more input.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                            MD
                            United States
                            Member #1701
                            June 18, 2003
                            8360 Posts
                            Posted: December 24, 2004, 2:31 am - IP Logged

Usually pick 5/6/10 games have a set amount which should be on the back ot the play slip. They set that up like that for the same reason to avoid a meltdown. If 100 people played the same numbers they are all going to split the jackpot.

In maryland we had 13 people win the bonus match five which is a fixed payout of $600,000 or up to twelve tickets so instead of each person getting 50 g's they had to split  the 600 grand prize pool up in 13 peices. Still not a bad pay day. Tax free prize.

All lotterys have to keep records so i really can explain why mega or powerball does it that way. i guess it's something they set up when the first started the games. There not going to break megas or powerball or any other fixed payout bank. Because it happened once before somewhere and then they all changed the rules of engagement. 

Columbia City, Indiana
                              United States
                              Member #2978
                              December 9, 2003
                              381 Posts
                              Posted: December 24, 2004, 6:32 am - IP Logged

Maverick:

All lottery transactions must be recorded in some type of electronic database. Otherwise, how would they know which tickets to pay? Way back in the 1930's and 40's, the numbers were written on slips of paper which were held by the bookie until that day's number was determined by some random dvent, such as the winners of the second, fifth and eighth horse races at Belmont Park, or the day's closing value of the Dow-Jones Industrial Average. 

Today, most states counter the inherent flaws in the current system, and the suspicion they cause, with published liability limits on each of their daily games. The South Carolina Educational Lottery, for example, has ratified a limit of $3.5M for their Pick-3 game, which means they will only sell up to 7,000 straight tickets on any given number on any given day. I know this is true because I have a copy of the minutes of the board meeting at which these limits were adopted. This protects them, and the state from possible bankruptcy; we can't blame them for that. A simple phone call or email to your lottery's legal department should help you to determine what your state's limits are on each of their online daily games. This is extremely valuable information, and I'd encourage you to obtain it. 

The only state I'm aware of that doesn't have published liability limits is Indiana, but LosingJeff and I are currently working to correct that.

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim