Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:44 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Free Ticket.

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 12 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Should states stop giving out free tickets as a prize?

Yes. I'd rather win actual money. [ 19 ]  [67.86%]
No. I like to get a free crack at a bigger prize. [ 9 ]  [32.14%]
Total Valid Votes [ 28 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
Yinzer Country, PA
United States
Member #4067
March 18, 2004
2741 Posts
Posted: February 12, 2005, 2:43 am - IP Logged

There are still some states that give out free tickets as prizes on instant games, and I'm getting pretty sick of winning a free ticket instead of breaking even. I feel it is a form of communism when I buy an instant ticket, scratch it off, and find out that instead of winning money, i won a free ticket, and I do not have the option of taking the cash. I have to take another ticket (It does not have to be of the same game), but there are times in which I would rather take the cash and run instead of getting another ticket and losing. I'm aware that there are people who will just put their winnings back into the lottery, and I know quite a few, but tere are times in which I would rather not take a free ticket. Also, I'm sure that there are people who play the lottery as a form of income (It can be done if you really know how to play.), and do not want a bunch of free tickets, now do they?

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

United States
    Member #379
    June 5, 2002
    11296 Posts
    Posted: February 12, 2005, 9:44 am - IP Logged

Dr:

Then would you also consider annuity-only prizes as communism?

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8363 Posts
      Posted: February 12, 2005, 11:40 am - IP Logged

DrEw if you don't like the format of the scratcher why bother to play knowing that you stand a better chance of getting a free ticket instead of an actual cash prize. having been a lottery sales person i would think you'd know better.

Yinzer Country, PA
        United States
        Member #4067
        March 18, 2004
        2741 Posts
        Posted: February 12, 2005, 3:38 pm - IP Logged

PA really doesn't offer free tickets anymore. they do with one or two games, but that's really it.

When i came to OU, almost all of the $1 tickets offered a free ticket instead of $1 or more, and i hated constantly winning free tickets instead of cash. there are some states that still do offer free tickets as prizes.

CASH Only: I do not consider anuity-only prizes as communism because there is a loophole around that. There are people who will buy out the rest of the annuity in cash.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
          Mcminnville, Oregon
          United States
          Member #3013
          December 13, 2003
          3052 Posts
          Posted: February 12, 2005, 9:38 pm - IP Logged

Oregon does that on megabucks if you get 3 numbers and you don't pay for the kicker option you get a free ticket.  They also do it on some of their scratch tickets like the "win for life" tickets.  I would like to have my dollar back then get a free ticket because I have never won off of a free ticket. 

United States
            Member #379
            June 5, 2002
            11296 Posts
            Posted: February 13, 2005, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

EW:

If you sell the annuity, you don't get the full cash value of the remaining payments.

konane's avatar - wallace
              Atlanta, GA
              United States
              Member #1265
              March 13, 2003
              3333 Posts
              Posted: February 13, 2005, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

Hey a free ticket in a GA scratch off can be redeemed for cash so it is real money.

Hold your free tickets and use them to buy tickets for a big jackpot game if that's the way your state lottery operates.

Considering how much money the lottery takes in, I'm always happy to get anything back from them!

Good luck to everyone!

Yinzer Country, PA
                United States
                Member #4067
                March 18, 2004
                2741 Posts
                Posted: February 14, 2005, 1:38 am - IP Logged

unfortunately, other states do not do it like GA does, so free online tickets can only be redeemed for that game, and free instant tickets can be redeemed for a ticket of the same value.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                  Tennessee
                  United States
                  Member #7853
                  October 15, 2004
                  11338 Posts
                  Posted: March 5, 2005, 6:36 am - IP Logged

depending on the clerk i can sometimes but not always exchange a free ticket for cash......

Yinzer Country, PA
                    United States
                    Member #4067
                    March 18, 2004
                    2741 Posts
                    Posted: March 5, 2005, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

it's nice that the lotteries are starting to stop offering free tickets as prizes.

NC
                      United States
                      Member #11587
                      February 18, 2005
                      29 Posts
                      Posted: March 9, 2005, 4:58 am - IP Logged

VA doesn't have the free ticket prize anymore thank god.

United States
                        Member #1826
                        July 11, 2003
                        2645 Posts
                        Posted: March 9, 2005, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

I don't mind free tickets. I don't play to win, I play to play. So a free ticket just means even more fun.

(insert signature here)

Yinzer Country, PA
                          United States
                          Member #4067
                          March 18, 2004
                          2741 Posts
                          Posted: March 19, 2005, 12:09 am - IP Logged

that's fine for you, but there are people who play to win money.

Maverick's avatar - yinyang
                            USA
                            United States
                            Member #8242
                            October 29, 2004
                            1133 Posts
                            Posted: April 4, 2005, 8:11 pm - IP Logged

Quote: Originally posted by DoctorEw220 on February 12, 2005

There are still some states that give out free tickets as prizes on instant games, and I'm getting pretty sick of winning a free ticket instead of breaking even. I feel it is a form of communism when I buy an instant ticket, scratch it off, and find out that instead of winning money, i won a free ticket, and I do not have the option of taking the cash.

, but tere are times in which I would rather not take a free ticket.

They simply wanna keep you in the game; as if they don't make enough money.

PS. This is the scratch section, but my input is directed mostly at NY's Take Five.

Yinzer Country, PA
                              United States
                              Member #4067
                              March 18, 2004
                              2741 Posts
                              Posted: April 5, 2005, 2:27 am - IP Logged

at least NY's take 5 pays a higher top prize than the instants do at that price. i've played that instant game before, and won a free take 5 ticket. i will admit that it is fun to see if my ticket really paid off.